PC - Console compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC - Console compatibility

This was originally supposed to be posted in the setup forum, but I got to rambling on and thought it would be best to go here.

If I go out and buy a copy of FFXI for the PC and Xbox360, would I be able to use one account and character for both the PC and 360 versions? Im trying to get a roommate to play with me, and right now we only have 1 pc and 1 360. I'd like to use a PC to play it, because usually console MMOs suffer from horrible controls, and the lack of a keyboard. How do the 360 controls stack up? Are they easy and intuitive?

I played FFXI when it first came out and loved it, but wasn't really a social gamer back then, I wanted to just go off and do my own thing. If you dont like grouping, you wont get far in this game I suppose. Also, all the other MMO kiddies were flooding it, and I couldnt really stand it. I guess that a few years would have weeded out all the annoying, unsupportive people and kept in the good people. I've read that FFO has the best community of any other MMO out there.

The only problem I’ve been told is that most of the people playing right now and either too high level or very experienced, and wouldn’t want to deal with a noob. With what I’ve heard about your community, I doubt that. But it doesn’t hurt to ask.

I've been gone for... what? 2-3 years? And I still have a craving to play this game again. Hope its still as good as I remember

Oh, when I was playing, I played on Carbuncle with some friends of mine. RL names are Kim and Jason. Don’t know their char names. Apparently Jason went completely endgame and got all the best goodies before he quit. We live if FL, if that rings a bell. Hope so.

Re: PC - Console compatibility

Originally posted by Aerosolcb View Post
    If I go out and buy a copy of FFXI for the PC and Xbox360, would I be able to use one account and character for both the PC and 360 versions?
    Yes. You purchase one content ID and attach it to one PlayOnline ID. Both versions of the client will allow you to use the same IDs. Only things like macros, config settings, etc are stored on your HDD and the rest of all your character data is stored on the servers and thus completely transferable between any console.

Tip: You can press shift+ctrl+alt+b to save client-side files to the server to download to another client with shift+ctrl+alt+r. I don't know the commands for PS2 or Xbox.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
    ------
    Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
    When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
      Yes. You purchase one content ID and attach it to one PlayOnline ID. Both versions of the client will allow you to use the same IDs. Only things like macros, config settings, etc are stored on your HDD and the rest of all your character data is stored on the servers and thus completely transferable between any console.

Tip: You can press shift+ctrl+alt+b to save client-side files to the server to download to another client with shift+ctrl+alt+r. I don't know the commands for PS2 or Xbox.

Perfect. Thanks, Spike.
      Just out of curiosity, what would be a good class to pick up and learn the game again? Any good combos? I really like support classes, so I was thinking of a White Mage. What should I choose as a subclass? Im going to try and find some guides on playing a WM to get a little feel for it.

But any suggestions would be helpful.
      Last edited by Aerosolcb; 10-04-2008, 12:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Aerosolcb View Post
        If I go out and buy a copy of FFXI for the PC and Xbox360, would I be able to use one account and character for both the PC and 360 versions? Im trying to get a roommate to play with me, and right now we only have 1 pc and 1 360.
        Just in case it's not clear already, you would not be able to play together with one account. Only one character per account can be logged in at the same time, from one client.

WHM can be a bit tough in the early levels if you try to play it too much like a mage. Early on, when you're soloing, you're best going after easy prey and saving all your MP to cure yourself when needed. But it's a fine class to start with and learn the game. You won't be able to use a subjob until level 18, so you might have a better grasp by then. Once you do, use BLM for your sub. You'll be able to unlock other jobs at 30 that make good subs for WHM, but BLM is your best bet until then.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

If you're into support classes, there's a few new flavors added in ToA and WotG, namely Corsair, Dancer and Scholar. If you're serious about going back into WHM, Scholar will be a must-have subjob in the long terms for the MP savings you'll gain from Light Arts and Penury, in addition to the Sublimation ability at high levels.

Corsair plays akin to Bard, but with influences from the Gambler class in past game, it also gets to enjoy melee quite a bit as it has decent ratings in sword, dagger and Marksmanship especially. Melee and mage subs are both commonly used, but melee subs like Ranger and Warrior are where the fun is. /WHM is more for pre-30 and endgame event play.

Dancer is also melee-based, but rather than use MP to cure or enfeeble, Dancer uses TP gained from melee to perform these actions. So its like a WHM, only you have to hit stuff to cure people. Pretty fun, but suffers in some high level situations like NMs. Excellent solo sub for most classes. It usually favors MNK sub at early levels and then NIN and SAM at higher levels.

Scholar plays the most similar to the original mage classes but has tricks they can apply to various spells, some reducing spell cost, Casting/Recast time, Potency of a spell and even converting some spells to AoE, like Gravity, Aspir, Stoneskin, Phalanx and more. You'll want to have WHM, BLM and a RDM sub to go with it and like I said before, Scholar is a great WHM sub. Scholar kinda gives you the WHM and BLM experience in one job, though its not as potent as either, it comes pretty close and in some cases is a much more efficient job.

Comment

To answer a question that hasn't yet been address, the controls on the Xbox 360 are far better and easier to use than on the PC, in my opinion. I wasn't planning on using a controller when I got another copy for a console, but after using a controller, I never went back to the keyboard. Except for typing of course. Gotta have typing.

I'd even go so far as to suggest getting a controller for your PC!

Comment

The controls for PC and 360 (and PS2) are identical. You can use a keyboard or controller on any. Only thing is you can't use a mouse on 360, but mouse in this game is garbage anyway.

Also another thing, just because you registered on PC, and your buddy registered on 360, you can still play on the other. Like use your PC account info on the 360 and vice versa. You can always log on to the other no problem. 360 version, however, will require a seperate Xbox Live Account (free Silver is fine) per person.
              Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
              Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
              Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
              Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
              Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Gyotsha View Post
                the controls on the Xbox 360 are far better and easier to use than on the PC, in my opinion.
                In your opinion, yes. In my opinion, having upwards of 60 buttons to use to play a game seems better than less than 15 buttons.

Also, because I do use a controller to play sometimes, especially on jobs that don't require precise macro timing, there's not a person that could convince me you can hit macros with as much precision and timing as I can on a keyboard. Holding a shoulder button and scrolling with the direction pad/analog stick will never be faster than me pressing Ctrl+8: Headbutt and 1 second later hitting ctrl+2 for bludgeon. To each their own.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                ------
                Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

I hate keyboards for the movement and camera controls but they have a few uses like typing messages and some like to use macros on them. Me? I'm used to the dual Shock(ps2) controls so I just use the triggers for macros(it's worked ok so far).
                  Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
                  (have fun MMO players ^^)
                  Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

I use the 360 pad on my Laptop and PC. When on WHM I find that it's a lot easier to target party members by scrolling through them with the D-Pad than fumbling around with a keyboard. I have the pad mapped so macros are activated by clicking the analogue sticks and the D-Pad scrolls through the list so I can hit things like gear change macros and weapon skill macros on melee jobs while running. Pads also let you scroll through menus really fast so it free you macro list from being cluttered up by non essential spells and abilities you may only use once every few battles like barspells or stoneskin. I can just place my barspells at the top of my spell list so I need only hit my +MND gear macro and open up the spell menu. if I just had a keyboard then I would have to make a macro for each individual barspell.

The only bad thing about the pad is that it's a 360 pad so it looks like I carry a Fisher Price My First Gamepad with me in my laptop bag and the rumble is way too distracting. Yes i know I'm being hit and I know my party is too you don't have to sound like a swarm of angry bees every time someone gets breathed on!

Personally I dislike using the keyboard purely because the game doesn't seem designed to be played on a keyboard at all. I find it very clumsy and cumbersome to use and using the keyboard to move around can be quite painful especially if you are playing on a laptop. I also find macros very laggy on keyboards I can't hit Cure 3 then say Haste in rapid succession for example. I have to wait a few seconds in between otherwise none of the commands are recognised. That and i constantly have targetting issues when playing on a keyboard only. As a WHM I'd rather not spent time fumbling around for the right F-key when I can just click my left stick, select cure then scroll to the party member I want to heal.
                    Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                    Reiko Takahashi
                    - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

A bunch of yall are missing the fact that the PS2 and 360 CAN use keyboard controls. So you can still play on 360 with a keyboard instead of controller if that's what you want to do.

Also a lot of y'all are missing that PC version CAN use a controller of your choice, including PS2 and 360 controllers (with adapters).
                      Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                      Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                      Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                      Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                      Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                        That and i constantly have targetting issues when playing on a keyboard only. As a WHM I'd rather not spent time fumbling around for the right F-key when I can just click my left stick, select cure then scroll to the party member I want to heal.
                        I'm not out to try and convert you or anything, but you could always just set up keybindings for menu/target up/down/left/right so that keyboard keys do exactly the same thing the D-Pad does with targeting.

Like Susurrus said, there is no real difference in interface among 360, PC, and PS2. It's just a matter of what you have hooked up and how you use it.

Try them all, find what you like. And for the keyboard, try both normal and compact mode, and try setting your own keybindings. I could never stand the keyboard until I set it up the way I wanted. Now that I've got it set, I only ever use a controller for farming or other stuff that doesn't take much concentration.
                        Ellipses on Fenrir
                        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                        . . .

Comment

I found the keybindings useful but I still personally prefer using a pad. i just find it more convenient and find myself having less targetting issues using a pad. And well if the White Mage is having targetting issues then it's bad for the party as a whole.
                          Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                          Reiko Takahashi
                          - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                          Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
                            In your opinion, yes. In my opinion, having upwards of 60 buttons to use to play a game seems better than less than 15 buttons.

Also, because I do use a controller to play sometimes, especially on jobs that don't require precise macro timing, there's not a person that could convince me you can hit macros with as much precision and timing as I can on a keyboard. Holding a shoulder button and scrolling with the direction pad/analog stick will never be faster than me pressing Ctrl+8: Headbutt and 1 second later hitting ctrl+2 for bludgeon. To each their own.
                            You can use a keyboard on the 360.

Comment

I prefer keyboard myself, tried playing with a pad a couple times and I just couldn't get the hang of it. Then again, I tend to have issues even using the compact keyboard, so I always make sure I have a full keyboard with me when I tote my laptop around for lan parties. I just can't stand the way the keys feel on laptop keyboards...I'm just too heavy handed.

Plus, I have the G11 keyboard, so having those G macro keys is awesome. It's phenomenal for nin, whm, and dnc (the three jobs Im working on at the moment). Even on a console, I would prolly be using the keyboard. (do you HAVE to use a controller at all with the consoles? Never played on PS2 or 360 so don't know)
                              I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
                              -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
                              http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X