Best job to duo with a BLM/WHM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best job to duo with a BLM/WHM?

Nope we are not planning on exclusively duoing. We are going to party as well. But when we're not partying, we will be duoing, so we might as well try to play off of each others strengths and weaknesses right?

So I think I'm going to go WAR/MNK to start off with. Any suggestions as to which race would be best? I was thinking of going Mithra since thats what my wife is currently playing.
    Last edited by Diesel Boy; 12-14-2007, 05:28 AM. Reason: Correcting Error

Comment

Quotes, images, smileys and links all trip that filter until you get 15 posts. <.<;
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
        Quotes, images, smileys and links all trip that filter until you get 15 posts. <.<;
        Ah ok, thanks. I didnt know what I did wrong lol.

Comment

Racial stat differences play a very minor role most of the time. Choose whichever race you feel looks best and you would feel comfortable with using as an avatar for months or years.

If you're still worried about stats, there's a good discussion of what racial differences actually make a difference here: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/rac...nce-issue.html

Comment

Since tarutaru's are going to take over the world soon and burn down sandy and bastok, I would prefer being taru.
            ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Racial stat differences play a very minor role most of the time. Choose whichever race you feel looks best and you would feel comfortable with using as an avatar for months or years.

If you're still worried about stats, there's a good discussion of what racial differences actually make a difference here...
              Oh ok cool, ty for the link. I guess Mithra are only female so I can't play that anyway. I think I will go Hume just so I can look all badass with a head tatt like my avatar lolz.

Comment

Of the six starting jobs, I'd say for duoing with a BLM, in the short term WAR would work best (tanking ability) and THF would work worst (better-suited to full parties). But as was said in an earlier post, this is the right time to experiment and find what works for you. Unlike in many MMOs, you don't need a new character if you change your mind. -- Pteryx

Comment

I honestly would love to see how well a BLMx2 duo would go in the early levels. I know that in the higher levels, it's pretty good. I imagine that with worms and BST pets, it would be pretty smooth sailing.
                  Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
                  I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

If you're still worried about stats, there's a good discussion of what racial differences actually make a difference here: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/rac...nce-issue.html

No matter how many times I hear this, I have to contest it I really do. Especially for the early levels. Even with full INT gear and food, my SCH and BLM can not nuke for shit on my Elvaan ass compared to my (retired) taru alt.

By end game yes, most of the differences can be made up for with gear and skill, but there's no denying the gap. actually, much as it would kill me in some mage rolls I'd like to see race matter a bit more in the game to add variety.
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Of course race of the character matters. >_>

It's just the player behind the character matters even more. Good players gear and act appropriately; bad players are just a pain to have in party, on any job and any race.

I've met a Tarutaru BLM with Astral Ring x2 who opens each fight in Valkrum Dunes with non-stop chain nuking. Then, he wondered why he kept dying. Contrast that with a Galka BLM who intentionally over nuke slightly at the beginning, easily soak up a hit or two, rested most of the fight for MP, then gets up to finish off the critter at the end.

One had a plan (whether you agree a good plan or not) which calculated the balance between risk and reward, while the other was just idiotic and wasted my time in party. Does that mean Tarutaru make bad BLM, and all Galkas are great for the job? Hardly. It's the player which matters the most, even if the Taru has boat load of MP and INT to spare.
                      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Yes, but there's no denying the fact that even with a pair of Eremite Rings, +1 Wands and Melon Pie +1 my Elvaan ass still sees far too many resists > . <

Damn the lower levels are hell.
                        sigpic

Comment

Even as a taru at level 41, my blm sees depressing amounts of resists on high VT and IT. Can't wait til staves ...

Comment

If you want to go all the way to endgame, you have two real options:

1) You go White Mage/Black Mage up to 37, she does Black Mage/White Mage. This combination will net you a lot of invites. BAsicly, you keep alternating, when your leveling WHM, she does BLM, when your on BLM she does WHM.

2A) At this point, you switch to Bard, while she switches to Red Mage. You will level Bard/White Mage up to 37, while she levels Red Mage to 37.

3A) She then switches back to Back Mage, and can now alternate in Red Mage and White Mage support Jobs as needed. You remain as Bard. In EXP Parties, many people will gladly invite a BLM if it means they can get a Bard. Duo, she will do most of the fighting, while you keep her Manapool full and debuff the monster. Both of these situations compliment each other very well.

4A) You continue doing this until lv51. At this point, you can continue to duo with each other, or start forming Manaburn Parties. A Manaburn consists of five Black Mages, and one Refresher, usually Bard. This lasts all teh way to 75, and beyond.

2B) You can then each switch to Black Mage / White Mage and try to get to level 51. 37-51 will be a very long shot, and incredibly difficult. Once you hit 51 though, a world of possibilities open up, and you can duo or manaburn all the way to 75.
                            Originally posted by Ellipses
                            Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                            Originally posted by MCLV
                            A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                            More Sig:

Comment

37-51 will be a very long shot, and incredibly difficult.
                              Idk about that >. > a pair on my LS are duoing SCH and DNC quite well. They've hit 46 in just a week. Granted they really know what they're doing, but still. If you target the right mobs (BST pets :3) it'll go by pretty fast.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X