Best job to duo with a BLM/WHM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best job to duo with a BLM/WHM?

Hi all! I am a complete newb lolz. I actually don't even have the game yet, but my wife does. She just got it for the 360 and we both like it a lot. Now I'm going to get it for my PC so we can play together. She already chose a BLM as her main job, and will be WHM sub job when she gets there (currently level 8).

So my question is: What should I play to complement her character the best? Also, will we be able to team together if she is level 9-10 and I am only level 1? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Best job to duo with a BLM/WHM?

It will be very difficult to duo with her black mage and any job of yours. Final Fantasy XI is a team-based game and you'll want to find a full party of 6 people if you're going to want to xp. Also, you want to be around the same level when you xp together. If you're level 1 and she's level 10, you practically won't receive any experience points at all when you go to fight something.

I'm not saying it can't be done. Maybe you can level paladin with her black mage, but even that requires you to get level 30 on another job first.

As far as what job goes best with black mage in an xp party, I would say bard complements it pretty well. Bards can refresh your mp pool so you don't run out of magic for your nukes.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

The best job to duo with blm is probably blm.

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.h...43140656968310

You can probably follow this solo guide using the same levels, only killing twice as fast and suffering half as much downtime. rdm is another option for gravity and refresh.
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Hmm ok. Yeah we aren't going to exclusively duo, but we want to compliment each other when we aren't teaming with other players.

So a Bard or another BLM huh? I was thinking more along the lines of a Tanker type job so I could take the beating while she blows stuff up lol. Would that not work well?

Comment

wtf
          Twilightrose- THF/49 WAR/24 WHM/53 BLM/32 RNG/15 BST/25 NIN/27

Comment

BLM isn't really built for duoing. Either you have 3 or more BLMs or you make a normal party.

If you want to duo, she could do RDM/* and you could do NIN/WAR. She'd be a mage and you'd be a tank, although it's not perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselBoy09 View Post
              wtf
              ZOMG! Are you my ebil twin?!?

Comment

BLM can solo well enough, I don't see why it can't duo. Well, at higher level, anyway.

BLM + RDM. RDM can help out with nukes and do most of the sleeps, and the pair is OK for exp parties. (You'd be leeching off the RDM's invite rate.)

Edit:
                Don't duo unless you're within a level of each other. >_> It's not that hard to level something to 10 to catch up.
                Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 12-13-2007, 04:08 PM.
                Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Actually Feba BLM can duo just fine... like TM said you'll take a hit but you're guaranteed faster/safer kills for all those BST pet camps. The solo guide on wiki even recommends it for a few of the camps (Chigoe)

That said, BRD RDM or COR are likely the next best option since they all offer refresh, dispel and some form of sleep.

I can tell you right now that having a Sleep resisted on a mob you're soloing (IT BST pets >_>) is usually certain death. It's nice to have a 2nd sleeper, or if need be, double stun/nuke.
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Scholar later on can also be a good duo combo I would imagine. It lacks the Refresh that RDM offers, but it can strengthen the BLM's spells through the weather buffs, and can also nuke fairly well thanks to the levels it learns the spells plus Dark Arts and Strategems.
                    Cleverness - Hades
                    75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
                    DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

Originally posted by StarvingArtist
                      Firstly, if you want to duo together, be at the same level or at least within +/-1. I suggest just play a job that you like. At lower levels especially without subjobs, it will still be fairly slow going as your combat and magic skills are still rising. Find what works between the two of you, experiment with trial and error. You may want to just kill easier things quicker for lower experience, or take longer and risk for a bigger amount at once.

After both of you have subjobs, you should find things easier the second time around also with more playing experience. In the meantime, discover your strengths and weaknesses. Find a style that you can work with, and don't worry too much over ideal job combinations as a beginner.
                      Oh good advise, thank you. Yeah maybe I'll just go with whatever seems fun to play the first time around. Then once we learn all the intricacies of the game we could start over with a min/max duo combination that would pwn.

I was thinking of going with a Warrior. Are they good at Tanking? I want to be able to take the beating while my wife blows stuff up. I heard that Ninja's are good tankers... Which seems odd to me, common sense would make me think a Warrior would be a better tanker? I think of Warriors as brute stength and Ninja's as quick reflexes and stealth. But that doesnt matter anyway cause Ninja is a advanced job I have to unlock right? So that brings me back to my initial question I guess, should I go with a Warrior?

Comment

Warriors are arguably the best tanks early in the game, say up to level 37. After that ninjas and paladins get abilities that make them really start to shine. It's almost moot though since if you want to tank as a ninja or paladin later on, it's practically required of you to have warrior leveled as a subjob for the Provoke ability.
                        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

WAR can tank with the right gear, it's just that PLD can do that style of tanking better, and NIN has their own style of tanking, so people tend not to look as WAR as tank (or BLU, for that matter, but they can certainly do it in some level ranges).

Comment

If you want to tank, Warrior is the only option when you first start out. You're not going to be able to tank reliably at all on any other job until you've gotten a subjob and brought that job to level 10 with WAR as a sub.

There are other options later, but you're not going to have much luck tanking without Provoke for a good while. WAR/MNK will last you until then for tanking.
                            Ellipses on Fenrir
                            There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                            . . .

Comment

Strictly my opinion here, but it sounds like you really what to just dou... and if thats the case you may want to try.

You: WAR->14
                              Wife: RDM->14
                              Douing

14->18
                              Get a party (s painful as it is) in Dunes and try to get the 3 subjob item quest items. Apron(crabs), Larve(mayfly), skull(lich)

Then Level
                              Wife:BLM->15
                              You:Monk->15
                              Douing

Switch back to
                              You: War\MNK 18->30
                              Wife: RDM\BLM 18->30
                              Try douing, you rpobably need a party.

Finally at 30 get Bst quest (probably the easiest of all Extra jobs to get). From that point on play as
                              You: BST/WAR
                              Wife: BST/RDM

Like I said just my opinion. Think your missing out on alot of the game if you don't get parties though and experience it.
                              Midgard:
                              75SMN\5XWHM\37BLM\37RDM\the rest 15+

WOW:
                              80 PLD\80 DRU\60Mage\60 Shamen\the rest 30+

RL:
                              lvl 75 - EE\CMPE\CMPSCI

Comment

Working...
                              X