Interesting Alla thread on accout hijacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Alla thread on accout hijacking

Saw something on the Allakhazam website that I was not aware of and thought I should pass on the news in case others weren't.

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.htm...num=245;page=1

This is a bit worrysome :/

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Re: Interesting Alla thread on accout hijacking

Worrying but that person did have windower. also he only had Norton which now is not a very good virus checking/malware detection software.

The sad fact is that all these people who moan about being hyjacked never tell teh full story in case they get banned for ahving certain tools or they were stupid enough to give their ID's and passwords to someone or even do not protect their computers properly.

Comment

Someone hacked my WoW account and changed the password. Luckily for them, in order to get anything off my guys they'd have had to have paid to re-up the subscription since my account has been inactive for 3+ months. I just changed the password to something more secure. It's not hard to use a guesser to "hack" an account. I don't consider guessing truly hacking... If it were hacking, they'd have to download the database of encrypted keys from the provider.

Comment

I hacked into my friend's WoW account because he gave me the password and I guessed his username. Then I reset his Priest's talents to Holy, har har.

Comment

Exactly. These people are being irresponsible with their account info. End of story.

Comment

And what of the Trojan (that downloaded itself) that every single player who was hacked found on their computer that apparently came from an ad on FFXIAH? (yay for run-ons)

Extremely similar MOs, with all high end sellable gear being given to low level Jeuno mules/AHed and players being World Shifted, with CC information changed, seems a little over the top for getting even/being spiteful.

There's more about it here:

http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/vie...hp?f=2&t=27042

http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/vie...p?f=31&t=26991
            Last edited by Gobo; 12-10-2007, 12:22 PM.
            sigpic
            Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

I just heard about this from a friend regarding FFXIAH.
              Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
              ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Scary. @_@

Comment

For all these accounts that were hacked. I've been wondering. Wouldn't they just check the IP address of the people that got hacked.

Most ISP's keep the same range of IP addresses. They rarely vary in between the IP addresses when they are using the same ISP. The only real problem is if someone was playing on a laptop and they kept moving from location to location, then their IP addresses would change drastically.

I've kept the same ISP for the past 5+ years, I'm not sure how difficult it would be for me to get my account back if it was ever hacked.

I also read that they have been changing people's passwords and credit card information along with their billing address.

They have no area to prevent the changing of password a long with identifying personal information on the account.

I wonder what can actually be done?
                  Hacked on 9/9/09
                  FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Require your CC info when changing your password? Or a secret question?

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
                      Require your CC info when changing your password? Or a secret question?
                      I suggest a secret question. Stupid ones like, what's the name of your first dog, or what street did you grown up on.

If anyone has ever had a ing account http://www.ingdirect.com you'll notice they have INTENSIVE security measures in for your account.
                      Things like making sure the picture you selected for display matches the text on the bottom that you typed, as well as giving 3 answers for 3 security questions and then on top of that you need to input the password in with your mouse or type in a corresponding alpha pin number to the image that is displayed. (the image displayed changes so it's easier to use mouse inputs to put in your password)
                      Hacked on 9/9/09
                      FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

They have no area to prevent the changing of password a long with identifying personal information on the account.

I wonder what can actually be done?
                        I'd rather they just require you to input your registration codes since each copy of the game has a unique code assigned to it.

Since there are so many codes, they could make it a bit random, such as:

Input registration code for CoP expansion, or something like that.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Better yet, make it a thumbprint scan and SE sends us all thumbprint readers >_>;
                          Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

You cant have everything perfectly guarded..... people just need to stop being stupid.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Times like this make me glad to be a poor nobody with no hawt gear.
                              FFXIV Balmung Server
                              Tenro Matashi
                              PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Working...
                              X