Game "update" behavior brightened my day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game "update" behavior brightened my day

I got lucky today and snagged a copy of WotG for PC without having to battle any hordes of holiday shoppers. In fact, the whole shopping trip probably took less time than the game update that followed.

File check on over 20,000 files: 45 minutes
    File download for just 69 files: 5 minutes
    "Installing" 20,000+ files: 5 minutes

I'm not sure where those 20,000+ files came from that had to be installed. But I thought it was funny that the file check too so much longer than the actually downloading of files.
    Lyonheart
    lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
    Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
    Fishing 60

Lakiskline
    Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
    Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
    Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
    Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Re: Game "update" behavior brightened my day

I had to update twice...once for my PS2 and once for my PS3...it took an hour each time..
    Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
    (have fun MMO players ^^)
    Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post

I'm not sure where those 20,000+ files came from that had to be installed. But I thought it was funny that the file check too so much longer than the actually downloading of files.
      It didn't download or install 20,000 files. It checked (as far as I can tell) all of the files that should be on your computer pertaining to FFXI to the update server and then downloaded the ones you didn't have (probably all for the WoTG).

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
      ------
      Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
      When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

yeah for PC it only downloaded and installed about 67ish files
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowneko View Post
          I had to update twice...once for my PS2 and once for my PS3...it took an hour each time..
          I haven't done my PS3 yet, and I'm not so sure I will. I don't see a reason why now, but if they add new avatars I guess I will need it.

What I found odd was the original WotG version update. PS2 went from off to me in game in 90 minutes. File check, download and install. PS3? Nearly 4 hours to do the EXACT same thing.

I almost installed the expansion Wednesday night, but I decided to use that time to mule Bazaar Imp. Silver coins for the hordes of people going back and forth for the new quests. I sold a full stack of Silver in 50 minutes. lol 2nd stack took another hour and 45 minutes. I wonder how he's doing now, with all the PC people now catching up to the X360 and Playstation players.
          Odude
          PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
          RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
          SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

Installed and udated 5 pc's, 2 ps2's, and a 360.....not my idea of fun. At the same time I've had to plan, shop, and cook a huge Thanksgiving meal. God SE give me a damn break and not release an expansion during a dang holiday! (A week before or after would be fine......thank you! )
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
              Installed and udated 5 pc's, 2 ps2's, and a 360.....not my idea of fun. At the same time I've had to plan, shop, and cook a huge Thanksgiving meal. God SE give me a damn break and not release an expansion during a dang holiday! (A week before or after would be fine......thank you! )
              I don't know, I've found PC to be easiest to pdate multiple machines, since I keep a backup of my PlayOnline folders on an external 300 GB hard drive. I just download a patch once, copy it to the external drive, and run it around to every computer me or a friend has with the game installed. Only problem with that is a forced full filecheck after a folder replace, but that doesn't take very long on a striped RAID array.
              http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gen...igure-out.html
              http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...n-on-NA-US-PS2 (Adoulin install on NA PS2)
              http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.htm
              My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32.

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
                It didn't download or install 20,000 files. It checked (as far as I can tell) all of the files that should be on your computer pertaining to FFXI to the update server and then downloaded the ones you didn't have (probably all for the WoTG).
                The strange thing was that, even though it only showed 67 files as being downloaded during the 2nd stage, during the "install" stage, the game actually listed xxxx/20,000 files for the progress bar.
                Lyonheart
                lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Even though copying over files from a previously updated version (reinstalled Vista, and I copied files over from my XP harddrive.) Took forever... but it was definitely faster than dealing with the POL update.

Even though POL had to check all the damn files all over again.. If I do "check files" from the POL menu, does that help?

I know that the "Check Files" option actually works... my FFXI kept crashing, and it detected that my icons and my maps were corrupt (I changed FFXI Icons and overwrote the maps from ffxi-atlas >_> )..
                  The Tao of Ren
                  FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                  Originally posted by Kaeko
                  As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Working...
                  X