X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FFXI Wiki.. hacked?

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
    I don't trust anything that comes from a hacker.
    Hackers make the internet safe.
    Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
    ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
      There's reasonable doubt, and then there's things like this.

no.... Taj hacked, end of story, if I could prove anything I would turn him in myself.

people really should just get over this already, the site is going no where, "boycotting" it is plain stupid...... and why deny yuorself a place with good info, just because of a little BS that happened, because a hacker did not want to keep his head out of places it should not be.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

I don't trust anything that comes from a hacker.
        You might need to stop using the internet and computers in general.

Originally posted by Murphie
        You'd think we weren't able to get by perfectly fine for years before the Wiki came along
        I was a RDM/WAR before ffxiclopedia.

I also like ffxi.sompages craft synth listings. The wiki had better NM, mission and quest details.
        ------------------------------------------
        "boycotting" it is plain stupid......
        Then don't do it, but personally I haven't been back to alla and there's a good chance I'll find other sources for what wiki had good info on.
        Last edited by Mhurron; 09-17-2007, 01:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

no.... Taj hacked, end of story, if I could prove anything I would turn him in myself.
          That wasn't what I was referring to. If he hacked, end of story, then the info is real, no? But if you don't trust anything from a hacker, then he didn't hack?

people really should just get over this already
          Hello, pot.

the site is going no where, "boycotting" it is plain stupid...... and why deny yuorself a place with good info, just because of a little BS that happened, because a hacker did not want to keep his head out of places it should not be.
          Because you can find the information elsewhere without having to rely on a site with practices you don't agree with. That's the beauty of individual choice.

Comment

The thing i liked about wiki was that they gave real world definitions to a lot of the names and ideas in ffxi. Other than that, you can find everything else you need on somepage or good ol mysterytour~
            Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
            ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

GOD DAMNITT! This makes me angry!!

I use that site nearly every day to check up on info about chocobo raising, and to sometimes pop back to check the equipment lists for for all the AF jobs too! They all have nice little pictures beside them of NPCs wearing the stuff, so would make it very easy to see what you would be expecting to wear ingame!!

But the choco raising one though.... thats the most important part for me on that site!! And now some stupid, idiotic ass hole hakkers have come along and really messed things up!! GRRRRR!!

Where on earth am I going to search for my choco info now?!
              I found some of the info on that site to be quite unique too.
              For e.g. it would list all the greens you could use to raise choco affection, (and other things which make that site unique like that too) and it would tell you so! I don't think I could find info like that anywhere else!!

DAMNED STUPID HAKKERS!

Anyone got any ideas if this site is going to ber sorted out in some way?
              I'd LOVE to have it back again!
              (\ /)
              ( . .)
              C('')('')

Comment

Exactly, Omni. Like Mhurron (and others) I haven't been back to Alla. I know they aren't even owned by the company that once owned IGE anymore, but I still don't care. I didn't like the way things went down, and I haven't been back. They haven't gotten any more of my money, and I don't suggest it to players seeking information. Ever.

It's kind of like me and Starbucks. I used to live there. Then they started doing stupid stuff I didn't care for. So I stopped going, and now I visit locally owned coffee houses where I pay less and get better coffee anyway. They aren't as convenient, but I feel better knowing that I'm not personally contributing to the success of Starbucks.

Comment

Did you even read the stuff Taj posted? They weren't waiting to "sort things out" they were waiting to "find the right story to spin" in order to cover their asses.
                  Its easy to say that, though. But this is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

You could just as easily say that Taj left out a lot of details and highlighted information that suited his cause. There a three-four month gap between where he started in December 2006 and March 2007. That's a rather important amount of time. I can't think with all the goings-on that nothing happened for such a large amount of time, given how aggressive Wikia seemed on making a deal with these guys.

We can assume Ganiman just repeatedly denied offers in this period, but that's just assuming for assumption's sake. A story of roughly three months is missing there nonetheless.

What this all amounts to, though is an HNMLS split on the community level. One will retain its name and the others will make "newer and much more awesome" sites that will either really be no different or have other problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowball View Post
                    GOD DAMNITT! This makes me angry!!
                    I use that site nearly every day to check up on info about chocobo raising, and to sometimes pop back to check the equipment lists for for all the AF jobs too! They all have nice little pictures beside them of NPCs wearing the stuff, so would make it very easy to see what you would be expecting to wear ingame!!
                    But the choco raising one though.... thats the most important part for me on that site!! And now some stupid, idiotic ass hole hakkers have come along and really messed things up!! GRRRRR!!
                    Where on earth am I going to search for my choco info now?!
                    I found some of the info on that site to be quite unique too.
                    For e.g. it would list all the greens you could use to raise choco affection, (and other things which make that site unique like that too) and it would tell you so! I don't think I could find info like that anywhere else!!
                    DAMNED STUPID HAKKERS!
                    Anyone got any ideas if this site is going to ber sorted out in some way?
                    I'd LOVE to have it back again!
                    it'll be fine in a few days. the pages were going to be up and down during the move anyway. the only thing in there that got 'hacked' was the main page anyway. I figure the rest is due to damage control and the upcoming move.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

What I'm referring to is the communications where they are being instructed how to spin the situation. Though I do admit that it's entirely possible things could have been omitted.

And, exactly, with the HNMLS analogy. It's a very similar situation.

Comment

the funny thing about those though?

the old linkshell (site) usually doesn't recover it's former glory after that happens.

(of course the new one doesn't always succeed either. but I've had some good runs making splinter shells and it can work if you actually deal with fixing what the real problems were; donated servers and unlimited bandwidth will go a long way.)
                        Grant me wings so I may fly;
                        My restless soul is longing.
                        No Pain remains no Feeling~
                        Eternity Awaits.

Comment

And when I post a link to info, I also mean to help the person who needed it. If you choose to suggest one site over another, that's your call.

Just because you feel that it's the best place to send people doesn't necessarily mean that it is. And if the information is available elsewhere, then I will elect to use that source instead.
                          Actually, let me highlight what really caught my eyes.
                          I won't be sending anyone there anymore.
                          That implies you used to think that was a good site for info. "The info is still there" is what I was trying to point out; if FFXIclopedia was good enough for some things days ago, surely it's still good for the same things a few days from now?

Your response isn't surprising though.
                          You're implying something, but I'm bad at reading minds, so I'll just assume you mean no harm/ill will/insult/etc.
                          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I'll probably still use the Wiki from time to time just like I still use Alla from time to time. Concise sources of information are tough to find. I'll probably just make more of an effort to find the answer elsewhere beforehand.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                              That implies you used to think that was a good site for info. "The info is still there" is what I was trying to point out; if FFXIclopedia was good enough for some things days ago, surely it's still good for the same things a few days from now?
                              I used to send people there because I wanted to support the site. I don't want to do that anymore, so I'll just send people elsewhere, where they can still get the same information, but without helping the Wiki to prosper. Does that mean that my actions will make a difference? Probably not. But I'll feel better about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amele View Post
                                they didn't crash it; ganiman et al. elected to take it down rather than ride out the storm. the primary 'hacking' was simply a revision war over the front-page anyway. they didn't take it down til their own forums erupted under them.
                                Would it have killed Taj or whoever not to have do the edit war? He/they already have the gmail/PM whatever already. Forcing the admins to take down a site to regain control isn't really all that different from taking down a site directly, in my book.

I'm surprised you didn't know that most of the information on the wiki was "appropriated" from KI and Erecia's Guide on her(his?) personal site. (Erecia even lodged a formal complaint about it at one point.)
                                I wasn't aware of the complaint, but I do know a lot of the info came from there. I also know that the CoP info on FFXIclopedia get fixed and updated more often. (Heck, I probably added some stuff. heh.)

honestly, BG wiki's stance of "Pics or it didn't happen" is probably going to improve the overall quality of the wiki;(stunnable weaponskills comes to mind) along with discussion ongoing about what place specific strats vs. raw information has (they're leaning toward making indepth strats subpages and keeping just pure factual information on the main page; which will be less biased than ffxiclopedia's articles often were - re: a discussion I had prior to AU44 where a player insisted that Nin wouldn't work because of prior failures and that the only strat listed on 'clopedia required a paladin distance tanking)
                                Well, it would be great of the main pages of BG wiki have all the attitudes filtered out. Reading most BG threads give me headaches; it's 50% posturing, 40% useless noise, and 10% real info/debate. If just half of those posturing and noise carry over to their wiki, ... ewww....

BG starting a wiki has created a storm of people interested in getting involved, and brought several of the old major contributors who had let things fall off at 'clopedia back.
                                I have not considered that; it would be great if more people would contribute.

honestly. as long as BGWiki has contributors willing to update content other than endgame (and they will, since I'm one of those willing to do mid/early game) they've already got endgame and new content exploration in spades (notice how much even update info here is cross posted from BG).
                                Well, I think a lot of the info came from JP sources originally (food data, game mechanics ala VZX translations, etc.) as well, but there's no denying that BG people contributed a lot to the understanding of the game.

As long as new info gets on one or both of the wiki in reasonable amount of time, it's good enough.

I don't like all the calls to abandon FFXIclopedia, however. I helped to build that, in my own small ways. Some of what Ganiman and Co. hurt like a cut, but all the calls to deface and stop community support for it is like rubbing salt on the injury.
                                Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                                yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                                Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                                leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Working...
                                X