No announcement yet.

Anyone gettting fustrated with the ps2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone gettting fustrated with the ps2?

In recent interviews about WOTG, and just in the game itself, ive noticed some things. Every time they ask if your going to do stuff like new races, new character design' better graphics etc etc, its always no, no, no.. and why? Because of the PS2, the ps2 is holding this game back from its true potential, this game could have better graphics than WoW by now with alot more content and new races and places, etc etc if it wasn't for the PS2. Anyone think they should drop support of the ps2 and put it onto the ps3, it would be a good business move since the minority or players are on ps2 and moving to the ps3 will greatly extent the games lifespan.
    Last edited by bri360; 07-25-2007, 05:34 PM.

Re: Anyone gettting fustrated with the ps2?

I've been playing FFXI on PS2 since NA Beta. It's given me a ton of fun, and it's been more than worth the FREE price tag I paid for my HDD and the original game.

That having been said, the graphics don't mean anything to me, but there are some things I would really like that the PS2 just cannot give me.

1) Increased resolution. - My Equipment screen takes up my E~N~T~I~R~E screen. Alliance? Forget about it, that takes up half the screen. Got a BRD with retarded macros that are spaced out so it's centered on THEIR screen? Yeah, they take up two lines in my chat log.

2) Greater resourses. - I believe the hardware is the source of a lot of my lag. I have a pretty good 8M/700+kb high speed connection and some places with just my party I find an enormous amount of lag. On a PC with just a lower end video card shows no lag at all.

I believe migrating it to the PS3 would give the option for increased resolution and HD like on the X360, and have enough system resources to prevent a lot of that system lag. I've been really hopeful that they would have announced FFXI being added to the PS3 starting with the new expansion but no dice.

I have no issues with the graphics as I don't really care about them either way. I can see what's going on, so they're good enough for me. But having a larger Locker or a larger Gobby Bag to carry my 8 Elemental Staves, 6 neck pieces, 10 rings and more would seriously make a lot of people happy. I know a few people in my LS that seem to just collect Rare/EX items. I can't even imagine what sort of space issues they have in their Mog House. I have about half as much stuff as they do, and I'm sweating for space.
    Odude
    PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
    RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
    SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

nah. The PS2 is limited, sure, but it's not that bad. SE would have to be willing to improve the content anyway.

Expansions show that they CAN add new content just fine, obviously they would've had to stop making them for the PS2. They just don't WANT to spend the time doing it. The PS2 is more of a scapegoat than anything else, with the possible exception of inventory space.

And by the way, no, an extremely substantial amount of the playerbase, far more than would be on the 360 and PS3 combined. The PS3 is a flop, forcing PS2 users to buy it would just piss people off.

It would be a horrible business move really. They'd probably lose quite a bit of their Japanese market, and a lot of their NA players as well. The biggest console right now is STILL the PS2, not the Wii, not the 360, and certainly not the PS3.

Comment

I was predicting more posts like this, but I guess it wasn't in the thread I expected. /sigh

Originally posted by bri360 View Post
        In recent interviews about WOTG, and just in the game itself, ive noticed some things. Every time they ask if your going to do stuff like new races, new character design' better graphics etc etc, its always no, no, no.. and why? Because of the PS2, the ps2 is holding this game back from its true potential, this game could have better graphics than WoW by now with alot more content and new races and places, etc etc if it wasn't for the PS2. Anyone think they should drop support of the ps2 and put it onto the ps3, it would be a good business move since the minority or players are on ps2 and moving to the ps3 will greatly extent the games lifespan.
        1. FFXI wouldn't have existed without PS2. At its debut, it needed the luster from the Final Fantasy franchise, and FF at the time was basically about PS2. If you like FFXI, you should thank you lucky stars PS2 existed.

2. About half of players (as of 2006) play on PS2. S-E has reported low adaptation rate for xBox360 version. Likelihood of fast migration to the even slower selling PS3? Pretty close to zero. PS2 isn't really "holding FFXI back"--PS2 is keeping FFXI financially profitable.

In short, dropping PS2 support is just about the most moronic business move S-E can possibly do with FFXI.

And, for your information, FFXI still looks prettier than WoW. Newer graphic engines don't always beat better art assets, thank you very much.
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I see alot of people disagree with me? Just to note, I absolutely love this game and its graphics are my favorite out of any MMO because of the style, I just think not now but in the future when the PS3 gets a larger selling market, they should consider moving it over to PS3 and doing a graphical upgrade and adding new content that they said they could not in more than 1 interview like new races, hairstyles etc would be a really good idea. To me it really doesn't matter because I love this game either way and im perfectly fine with it the way it is, its just doing that in the future would make this game more profitable and it would be cool to see what it would look like with really great graphics lol.

Comment

SE already said that making a new MMO would bet in better interest then over hauling FFXI. FFXI is going to stay the way it is, untill it dies.... and if its anything like Everquest...it wont die anytime soon ;p
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

As much as I like to disagree with Kailea whenever I can, he's pretty much right. If SE were to market an MMO on a next-gen platform, it would be a much better move for them to develop a new one from scratch that can fully utilize the console rather than retrofitting a title that's over 4 years old. And it's not just the hardware. There are a lot of design descisions holding the game back that wouldn't be fixed just by moving to a new console: network architecture, interface design, input handling, risk/reward issues with older content, etc. As much as I like FFXI, this was SE's first foray into MMOs and as usual they made a lot of mistakes. I'd love to see the game they could make if they started over with all the lessons they learned in the creation of FFXI applied as their baseline of understanding.

For what it's worth, I think this game looks great on a modern PC, and I'm perfectly pleased with the list of features it has now. More content, more areas, more story, etc .. keep that stuff coming and I'll stay interested.
              lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

The only thing I'd like to see is uncapping the PC version somewhat. Let us turn up the draw distance to see the entire zone, let us set to the resolution to whatever we want, let us increase the number of things on screen until our GPUs explode, without having to risk screwing up our computers by registry editing, or using third party programs.

Let's admit it, SE, longer draw distance hasn't done shit for 360. The game looks the same now as it did half a decade ago, and while it's pretty, just those three little tweaks could make the game look so much better. Cities and besiege and dynamis where people and monsters don't appear and disappear due to a character limit. Being able to see the ENTIRE of the 'dragon's spine' in the Mountains, being able to see Castle Xvahl from the cliff on a clear day, and see very clearly, people have already done those through third party means, why can't you just open that up to us?

Although, it's probably worth waiting to see what DX9 brings before we debate graphics (again)

EDIT: To make it clear, when I mean "only thing" I mean "only thing that SE can do without any real effort"
                Last edited by Feba; 07-25-2007, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Bri360, so the fact that most of the player base is on PS2 means nothing to you?

How would you feel if you were on PS2 and were FORCED to either go PC or PS3?

Comment

Originally posted by Eohmer View Post
                    Bri360, so the fact that most of the player base is on PS2 means nothing to you?

How would you feel if you were on PS2 and were FORCED to either go PC or PS3?
                    Well most of the player base is on PC, and im not saying they should just do it right now, im saying wait until the user base on ps2 was minimal, then gradually move their support over to 360, ps3 and PC, then after a while drop ps2 support when most have moved over to ps3 or 360/pc. Anyways it doesn't matter, it wont happen and the game is perfectly fine the way it is. All I was saying is that it would be cool to see a more limitless world because this game definitely deserves it. But now that I think about it a better idea would be to make a successor to ffxi like ff14 or something down the road when ffxi starts getting less profitable, which hopefully wont be for a longgggg time. ^^

Comment

Well most of the player base is on PC,
                      Does anyone else remember the good old days?

Back when forums had words, so people could read what other people were talking about?

Goddamn you new age Web 2.0 "Read people's minds" bullshit. Way too fuzzy.

Comment

Originally posted by bri360 View Post
                        Well most of the player base is on PC
                        No, they aren't. As has been pointed out several times.

edit: I am too slow. Already pointed out (more obliquely, but still) above.

Comment

Hmmmm ic, well I guess I heard wrong about the ps2 user base being the minority, anyways... You all get what I was trying to get across, good business move or not it would awesome to see a graphically updated ffxi, but it really doesn't matter, I enjoy the game and think it has better graphics, art style, gameplay, and storyline than any other MMO imo and I will continue to enjoy it for a long time. ^^ Besides when it becomes the right time in the future, SE will make another FF MMO, and hopefully it will be just as good if not better than ffxi.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                            The only thing I'd like to see is uncapping the PC version somewhat. Let us turn up the draw distance to see the entire zone, let us set to the resolution to whatever we want, let us increase the number of things on screen until our GPUs explode, without having to risk screwing up our computers by registry editing, or using third party programs.
                            Let's admit it, SE, longer draw distance hasn't done shit for 360. The game looks the same now as it did half a decade ago, and while it's pretty, just those three little tweaks could make the game look so much better. Cities and besiege and dynamis where people and monsters don't appear and disappear due to a character limit. Being able to see the ENTIRE of the 'dragon's spine' in the Mountains, being able to see Castle Xvahl from the cliff on a clear day, and see very clearly, people have already done those through third party means, why can't you just open that up to us?
                            Although, it's probably worth waiting to see what DX9 brings before we debate graphics (again)
                            EDIT: To make it clear, when I mean "only thing" I mean "only thing that SE can do without any real effort"
                            I agree with this. I have my resolution cranked up to 1680x1050 and my map draw distance increased to ~8x the default and the game looks beautiful. Unfortunately, to get those values I have to hack my registry and use a windower plugin, neither of which I feel entirely comfortable doing. These changes do not, I feel, give me an advantage over other players so there's no harm in allowing PC users to change those display settings natively with the 1st party tools. The increase in the visual quality of the game is huge.
                            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I just wish the game could be run off the DVD mroe than the HDD, Make players swap discs and load up the differnt zreas they enter, it would upp time, but should let them get extra stuff on the HDD.

Comment

Working...
                              X