Drop rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop rates

Ok, I'm getting really pissed off now with my seeming inability to make any sort of money through... well any means!

My friend took me around all his farming spots on his 75 RDM. I killed like 50 monsters and all I got was a garrison drop. I’m killing raptors right now and I haven't gotten a drop in an hour! At this rate it’s going to take all year before I can buy a stack of bullets for my COR!

DO you get more drops if you are closer to the monsters level? I'm a 75 SAM/THF and I’m getting nothing from LV 21-24's

Re: Drop rates

Originally posted by Kuro View Post
    Ok, I'm getting really pissed off now with my seeming inability to make any sort of money through... well any means!
    My friend took me around all his farming spots on his 75 RDM. I killed like 50 monsters and all I got was a garrison drop. I’m killing raptors right now and I haven't gotten a drop in an hour! At this rate it’s going to take all year before I can buy a stack of bullets for my COR!
    What were you targeting (yes I see you said raptors, where and what were you going for, off the top of my head I can't think of anything)? I can (on some days) go through and slaugher just about that many crawlers and just get one spool of thread. Some things just have horrible drop rates. This is why I switched from farming to crafting for making gil.

DO you get more drops if you are closer to the monsters level?
    Nope.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Some mobs just have higher drops rates than others, even if they are part of the same family. The trend seems to be that the higher level mobs have higher drop rates (e.g. Goobues in Boyahda Tree drop Tree Cuttings more frequently then the ones out in Zitah, which drop cuttings more often than the ones in Rolanberry, etc).

If you need a confidence builder, go to Crawlers Nest and farm the higher tier lizards which spawn near the zone line out to Simurgh's spawn area. Those lizards drop lizard skins quite often, and lizard tails and eggs even more often.
      Lyonheart
      lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
      Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
      Fishing 60

Lakiskline
      Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
      Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
      Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
      Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

I hate to do this because more people will probabaly hit my tiger spots(please stay away Midgardsomr...but it's probably too late...and to use a pun "the cat is out of the bag") but I farm Forest Tigers for quick cash. There's a sandy fame quest called "Tiger's Teeth" where you can swap Black Tiger Fangs for a decent amout of gill...about 8.5K a stack...

As 75 THF/nin with a THF kinfe I've managed to make 50K off of it in about 3-4hrs. I also used to do this before I got TH2 and would make about 8-10K an hour depending on the randomness of it...
        Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
        (have fun MMO players ^^)
        Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

Remember though that just because something has a higher drop rate doesn't mean it's better to farm. If the decent challenge mob drops the money item twice as often but takes you three times as long to kill than the too weak mob, you're still better off farming the weaker things. It's not always related to level either. The only way to find out which mobs have a good drop rate is to kill some of them.

What're you targeting right now? You might try going after Broo in the back of Beadeaux. They're level 40ish sheep that have a great drop rate on sheepskin, sometimes dropping 2-3 at once. Bring a few stacks of dark crystals, water and tea leaves (buy from NPCs) and turn the skins into leather as they drop. I don't know what server you're on, but on mine stacks of sheep leather and stacks of bullets go for about the same price. Not worth as much as silk or beastmen blood, but the drop rate is much faster and more consistent.
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
            Remember though that just because something has a higher drop rate doesn't mean it's better to farm. If the decent challenge mob drops the money item twice as often but takes you three times as long to kill than the too weak mob, you're still better off farming the weaker things. It's not always related to level either. The only way to find out which mobs have a good drop rate is to kill some of them.

What're you targeting right now? You might try going after Broo in the back of Beadeaux. They're level 40ish sheep that have a great drop rate on sheepskin, sometimes dropping 2-3 at once. Bring a few stacks of dark crystals, water and tea leaves (buy from NPCs) and turn the skins into leather as they drop. I don't know what server you're on, but on mine stacks of sheep leather and stacks of bullets go for about the same price. Not worth as much as silk or beastmen blood, but the drop rate is much faster and more consistent.
            I've always thought that the "Higher lvl/closer to your lvl mob has better drop rates" thing was an old wives tale. I see no difference between killing EPs and killing stuff that reads "Too Weak to be worthwile". I've tried this on several occasions and the drop rates at least for tigers didn't seem to get better when I started wacking Sabertooth Tigers & the ones on the glacier.
            Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
            (have fun MMO players ^^)
            Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowneko View Post
              I've always thought that the "Higher lvl/closer to your lvl mob has better drop rates" thing was an old wives tale.
              The mobs level/your level ratio is, and SE stated so. However, higher level monsters do often have a higher drop rate then lower level monsters in their family.

So lets say you want sheep skins. There are lvl 1 sheep and lvl 75 sheep. The level 75 sheep probably has a higher drop rate then the level 1 and that holds no matter what level you are.

Sometimes thats not always the case either, sometimes the mob with the best drop rate in that family is a mid level mob and both the low and high level mobs in that family have crap drop rates. Sometimes the drop rate for the whole family sucks. With no real hard and fast rule, it's a little easier to spread out peoples farming so that not every lvl75 player is trying to kill the same sheep in the same zone.
              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage
                It's not always related to level either. The only way to find out which mobs have a good drop rate is to kill some of them.
                Different mobs have different drop rates. Period. Players tend to assume that higher level ones are necessarily better because it makes sense that a greater challenge should yield a greater reward. Sometimes like with the sheep I mentioned that turns out to be true, but with funguar for instance there are only two species that drop king truffle at all. Killing funguar between those two mobs in level will only get you different types of cheap shrooms. It's all hard-coded into the mob's drop table. I don't believe there's a function that compares your level to the mob's level to see what kind of drops you should get or anything like that.

Though, it is generally a good idea to farm at least EP mobs if only for the reason that you can collect beastmen seals and crystals also.

-- edit --

What Mhurron said.
                lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

You could also try leveling up fishing. Nebimonites, Black Sole and Noble Lady all sell for decent money and move very quickly.
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                    You could also try leveling up fishing. Nebimonites, Black Sole and Noble Lady all sell for decent money and move very quickly.
                    It's just too bad that fishing skill doesn't move (up) very quickly.
                    Lyonheart
                    lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                    Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                    Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                    Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                    Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                    Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                    Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

I was able to make money with fishing from the very beginning though, which is pretty cool. A mule character with a cheap rod and some little worms can start fishing up moat carp immediately. It's a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                        Not to mention, noble lady at least on midgard ground to a screeching halt a few months ago. I switched to another gilmaking method, but for some reason, one day the price per stack dropped from 11k or so to below 6k, and only one or two stacks per day sold. I NPCed my stock and moved to cooking to make gil, so I don't know if the market recovered.

Same thing happened to Bluetail, but slower, I saw them tapering off a ways in advance and sold at a discount before I got stuck with three to five stacks that sold for barely more than the NPC value plus AH tax.

Yes, it was inspired by the Simpsons
                        If you know how to download and use VRS, I am interested in being tutored.
                        *There is a high likelihood anyone who tutors me will recieve mucho artses*

Comment

I took up fishing and am going to go farming with my friend who has unholy luck. He farmed up about 40k in 1 hour while i made about 3k fishing ¬,¬

Comment

Working...
                          X