Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you pronounce your name & what does it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you pronounce your name & what does it mean?

Simple topic, How do you pronounce your name, and what does it mean?
    Omniblast
    Omni - Latin, from omnis, all
    A combining form denoting all, every, everywhere; as in
    omnipotent, all-powerful; omnipresent.

blast -
    1. a. A very strong gust of wind or air.
    b. The effect of such a gust.

2. A forcible stream of air, gas, or steam from an opening, especially one in a blast furnace to aid combustion.
    3. a. A sudden loud sound, especially one produced by a stream of forced air: a piercing blast from the steam whistle.
    b. The act of producing such a sound: gave a blast on his trumpet.

4. a. A violent explosion, as of dynamite or a bomb.
    b. The violent effect of such an explosion, consisting of a wave of increased atmospheric pressure followed immediately by a wave of decreased pressure.
    c. An explosive charge.

5. Botany Any of several plant diseases of diverse causes, resulting in sudden death of buds, flowers, foliage, or young fruits.
    6. A destructive or damaging influence.
    7. A powerful hit, blow, or shot.
    8. A violent verbal assault or outburst: The candidate leveled a blast at her opponent.
    9. Slang A highly exciting or pleasurable experience or event, such as a big party.

so put them together and you have a all encompassing, violent explosive force. Sometimes it could mean a case of bad gas, but that's another story. (She prodded me with her finger, and I raised my ass, and released a Omniblast.)
    Hacked on 9/9/09
    FFXIAH - Omniblast

Re: How do you pronounce your name & what does it mean?

Ahk-SAhN-Yee

Very simple to say, I think.

It doesn't mean anything. I made it up. I just thought it sounded original.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Well, all I can add to this is that I always liked White (Snow-)Wolves, since I had a dream about one when I was about 5 years old, hehe.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world.

Comment

Does my name have a meaning?
        There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
        but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
        transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Jeillyfish? yummy. *puts vinegar on Jei and preps a pair of chopsticks*
          Hacked on 9/9/09
          FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Originally posted by Jei View Post
            Does my name have a meaning?
            http://www.behindthename.com/
            That's a good site I think, they have a lot of names stored, where they come from, and some have their meaning attached to it. Jei isn't in it though.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world.

Comment

Diablito (Dee-ahh-blee-toe)

Means "Little Devil" in spanish. It seemed fitting as I am a Tarutaru

Comment

Lyonheart (pronounced lion-hart, duh )

It was a combination between my last name (Lyons) and Richard the Lionhearted, with FFVIII providing some inspiration (to this day, Squall is the FF character I can most relate to).
                Lyonheart
                lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

My character is called Galen, so here goes.....

Galen was born in the Greek city of Pergamum (modern-day Bergama, Turkey) of the Roman Empire, the son of Nicon, a wealthy architect. His interests were eclectic—Agriculture, Architecture, Astronomy, Philosophy —until he finally concentrated on medicine.
                  By the age of twenty, he had become a therapeutes ("attendant" or "associate") of the god Asclepius in the local temple for four years. He like to study the body, but dissection after death was against Roman law, instead he studied pigs, apes and other animals. This led to quite a few mistakes about how he thought the body was made. For instance, he thought there was a group of blood vessels near the back of the brain, common in animals but not in humans. After his father's death in 148 or 149 he left to study in , Corinth and Alexandria over a period of twelve years. When he returned to Pergamum in 157, he worked as a physician in a gladiator school for three or four years. During this time he gained much experience of trauma and wound treatment. He later regarded wounds as "windows into the body".
                  Galen performed many audacious operations that were not again used for almost two millennia, including brain and eye surgery. To perform cataract surgery, Galen would insert a long needle-like instrument into the eye behind the lens, which he then pulled back slightly to remove the cataract (the slightest slip could cause permanent blindness).
                  In 162, he moved to Rome where he wrote extensively, lectured and publicly demonstrated his knowledge of anatomy. He gained a reputation as an experienced physician and his practice had a widespread clientèle. One of them was the Consul Flavius Boethius who introduced him to the Imperial court where he became a court physician to the Emperor. Reputedly, he spoke and wrote in his native Greek, which was popular in the city of Rome. He briefly returned to Pergamum during 166 - 169.
                  Galen spent the rest of his life in the Imperial court, writing and experimenting. He performed vivisections of numerous animals to study the function of the kidneys and the spinal chord . His exact date of death has traditionally been placed around the year 200, based on a reference from the 10th Centuryy Suda lexicon. Some, however, have argued for dates as late as 216, on the basis that his last writings seem to be as late as 207

Jesus that was big!!!!

At leatst you all know why I'm a beastmaster and white mage!

oh and back to the thread its pronounced Gay - Len

I'm so glad I'm not called Len

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Christ on a bike! I should of just used Artic Wolf's link

heres what I got

GALEN
                    From the Roman cognomen Galenus, which meant "calm" from Greek γαληνη (galene). This was the name of a 2nd-century BC Graeco-Roman physician who contributed to anatomy and medicine

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Rajsela (Rahj Shella)

Well thats how I pronouce it, but it has no meaning. I don't think so. o,o

Comment

KingOfZeal. If you can't pronounce it, you have a sorry life.

King:
                        a male sovereign or monarch; a man who holds by life tenure, and usually by hereditary right, the chief authority over a country and people.

Zeal:
                        fervor for a person, cause, or object; eager desire or endeavor; enthusiastic diligence; ardor.

Oddly enough, that's not why I chose the name. For those who want to know, just think Chrono Trigger.
                        Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                        90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                        70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                        52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

You pronounce it Murphie. It means Murphie.

Comment

Mine is Grr, and is said like Ghurrrh.
                            75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
                            Woodworking 91.9+2
                            ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

Ar-man-do. It's really my name. It means "soldier" or "army man."

Comment

Working...
                              X