Things I've never understood in FFXI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things I've never understood in FFXI

Keep in mind the huge difference in MP costs to give someone an R3 in the middle of a big battle. Sky gods are a joke and you can have a ton of outside healers and rasiers. However, some events are limited by time and/or numbers. Proto-Ultima is the type of fight where you wouldn't want to waste XP R3ing someone. In all reality, your LS sucks if everyone doesn't have RR items for a fight like that. In a really good Dynamis shell you probably won't have to face many R1s, but in some of the CoP Dynamis zones, every second can count, so you really just need to eat it sometimes.

Go get a buffer. Like kitten said, if you have time to join an endgame shell, you have time to get some XP. Otherwise you are just a liability and potentially dead weight to your LS.

Nothing pisses me off more than people with a paper thin, 47 XP buffer into 75. This is especially true if you are a job that dies a lot. If you know you are going to die, and you know that you'll be half naked and lose your good gear, then SWITCH OFF OF MERITS FOR ONE @#%$ING PT AND GET SOME XP!!!!
    Last edited by Yeargdribble; 01-13-2007, 03:26 PM.
    A Day in the Life of a Taru

Comment

Originally posted by Legal Fish View Post
      Unless your LS sucks, 99% of the time, you will be able get a Raise III. I've been in my current LS for about half a year now, only once out of 3 runs a week for a great of months have I ever needed to take a Raise I and that was because a freak accident of someone calling for help on a Suzaku(god damn, yo). I don't play FFXI a whole lot and my buffer is never above 6k. Giving someone a RI when you could give someone a RIII is a big "fuck you" in my opinion.
      Not true, no.
      A good players will know when Raise 3 can be spared and when they are not.
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

What kind of events are you guys talking about?

If it's Dynamis a LS then it (or more likely the puller and or the main /assist) must suck if so many people dies that you can't get a RIII, it is true it's expected for LS members to carry Reraise Items with them, specially WHM, RDM and BRDs but they should be your last option, not part of the strategy.

For Gods its even easier to get a RIII.

However for CoP and stuff like that if someone is waiting for a RIII when time is so limited (or conserving MP is so important) then they should just kick him/her out of the party/static.
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I exp so often that I never care what I get. The difference in EXP isn't great enough for me to care. But I guess if I were close to losing my level, I'd care more.

That said, I generally end up with an R3.

Comment

Oh yeah, I didn't answer the thread.

About everything that the OP ever says in any topic.
            Read my blog.
            ffxibrp.livejournal.com
            Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
            Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

for melees and link management.

melees who sub war have voke war/nins have voke and utsuemi. mages have low hp and low defence. if sleep doesn't stick you dont want the melee to sit there and just watch as the mage gets killed since hits interupt spell casting.

but the whole melee smacking the mob ya thats just stupid. unless the link is a pet mob and weak in which case killing it means xp chain and sometimes 1 ws will kill it

Comment

I'll only play hero in a very dire situation when there is no sleeper available in my PT. This has happened to me a handful of times. I've ended up Flee kiting a link on my THF a handful of times.

I've also carby kited links on SMN. However, I take note of the PT setup ahead of time and if there are no sleepers I consider what my job could possibly do if a link were to occur. Generally, I'm smart enough to know that my measely melee self can't do shit so I'm not gonna try. If we get a link I leave it alone. At best I'll voke it while zoning to save someone a death if it gets that bad.
                A Day in the Life of a Taru

Comment

Here's another one:

People who make/join a PT when they know they're not going to be able to EXP for more than 30 minutes or so. Had a PT, thing's going pretty well in Mire with high chains and all that. Then out of nowhere our tank has to go... and no tanks seeking so PT is disbanded (MNKs in the burn didn't have /NIN I guess).

Did the tank go due to real life issues? Personal Emergency? Log out even?

No, he had sky. Sky doesn't just happen out of the blue.

... so why even build the PT? That's really just jerking people around. '

Back in October I had this SMN in PT. Suffice to say I've had a history of bad experiences with her, but this is just lame. We were tolerating each other and working very well in PT together. In the back of my head, I knew we were in the timeframe for Cerberus, but my LS had no plans to go and even though I didn't like this person, I wasn't going make this PT suffer for it.

20 minutes into the PT, she disconnects.. 20 mins later she pops back in, does a /cry and I check Mount Z a few minutes later... yup, there she is. Fake DC to get out of the PT completely. Funny thing was her LS got there only to see Cerberus already claimed and nearly beaten.

Comment

Don't get me started on raises/reraises, just last night my dynamis shell lost 2 AF2s because a bunch of blms committed suicide just before time ran out and were all waiting for R3 (from about 4 WHMs, mostly already OOM from trying to keep people alive), so they wouldn't pass.

If you're not going to keep up stoneskin and blink, kite when you need to and watch your goddamn hate, you can take whatever raise we have time to give you, thanks. And if you don't think that's fast enough, sub WHM and cast reraise or bring a reraise item. Jobs that can solo VTs don't get to whine about how much exp they lost, and you don't do the LS any good when you're dead (and not much when you're weakened). And that applies just as much to HNM fights as it does to dynamis, IMO (if not more so - anyone who doesn't bring some multi-use RR to Proto-Ultima shouldn't be allowed to take up space in the alliance).

But that's just me - our LS leadership is sadly lax on people carelessly killing themselves and then becoming a drain on the WHMs by not having RR. We've been chronically short of WHMs for months, and as someone often trying to keep them from running out of mp, I can tell you that they are very overworked. Suicide pulls and the occasional tank getting flattened by Hundred Fists/off-tank with 3 mobs on him/etc. are one thing, stupid recklessness is quite another.
                    Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                    RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                    All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Yeah, I've soloed BST and I've had those days where i'm on the last RR earring charge and got smacked while weakened. I've even had to HP before I could use RR items.

Just imagine the BST that dies in the middle of Ifrit's Cauldron. Chances are, no one will be there to raise you and there are spots in there where you might still be forced to HP since you'd just aggro again when you got up.

Any job that solos knows what they're getting into; any job that PTs -especially those with frequent invites - really doesn't have a right to bitch about dying at any level of the game.

Comment

Something I don't understand...

How people feel the need to say "my <job goes here>". Like, "I'm going to go level my BLU today." Or, "I'm camping VE so I can get a hairpin for my THF." I know there are some common cases where it's actually shorter to type this than the alternative. For instance, saying "What level is your WHM?" is shorter than saying "What level do you have WHM at?"

But with so many cases where "my" is used, simply dropping the "my" would still convey the same exact meaning. "I'm going to go level BLU today." Is there any question whose job you are out leveling? I'm not going to get confused and wonder if you're going to level someone else's character. Why the need to sound all possessive about it?
                        Lyonheart
                        lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                        Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                        Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                        Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                        Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                        Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                        Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

It's probably just that we're really attached to our characters. I've used both, to be honest.

Comment

I tend to treat my seperate jobs as seperate characters on some level as well. I think that has a lot to do with where that comes from.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

My jobs reveal my disassociative personality disorder. My RNG is a calulating hunter cyborg complete with ice beam and super missles (who has apparently lost her abilty to morph into a ball yet again). My Corsair is a pirate with Setzer-isms.

My Ninja speaks japanese... I don't, but the NIN just does. Can't explain that one.

My Red Mage is a real sleezebag, doesn't pay the elvaan hookers he sees, which gets him in trouble. The BRD is rather quiet, just sings. The BST snarls and and doesn't speak anything intelligable.

Then there's the WHM... he's not here to keep you healthy, just alive. Quit whining about your poison, I'm getting to it. I'm doctor, Jim, not your mother.

These personalities are all MINE, you can't have have them, that is why I say "my <job>."

Comment

Time for more meds, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X