• Show
Clear All

Re: Things I've never understood in FFXI

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
    Time for more meds, eh?
    If only they really helped.

Comment

In other MMOs my characters all have their own personalities and so I tend to think of them independently (I always play on RP servers). But in FFXI it's all me, so I just think of it all as mine.

Comment

In re the "my <JOB>" thing, I do that all the time. In my case, it's a subconscious distinction between what I consider my real job and just one that I happen to be leveling (as a sub or whatever). For example, I'd say "I'm going to go level DRG" as opposed to "I'm going to go level my THF" since I consider DRG my real job and THF is just a sub.

Comment

Good point, Mouser. I suppose I think of it the same way. I'm a RDM, but I do level other jobs from time to time. It's less confusing in games where each character plays as one class, I suppose.

Comment

I just realized... Why isn't "Why?" Auto-translated?

Who? What? When? Where? How? << All those are. >.<

Comment

I've always wondered why 'Good Luck!' isn't in there or something like it.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

About the "my <job>" thing:

To me, it's more the fact that jobs in this game are just another type of 'equipment'. Because everyone can be everything, two people can easily interchange based on the party's needs. Like if one were to do a mission, they may ask 'would you rather have my War or their War' as you could only need one and the other player would be something else. Plus there's the fact that different people use the same jobs differently at times. Even a straight forward job like Mnk, which is a pure DD, could be played differently. Thus one person's Mnk would be different then another's Mnk. As it's not the job that defines them, it's that player defining the job.

I use 'my' when refering to my jobs to put a bit more personal emphasis on the job as so many people can play it, but none of them play it like me.
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Working...
                X