X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undoing merits

I was reading through FFXIclopedia about merits and came to this part:

Cancelling Spent Merit Points

* A player may wish to undo an upgrade he/she has already made in order to spend points in the same category on different upgrades.
    * When a player cancels an upgrade, he/she does not get the spent merit points back.
    * To cancel a merit, a player must access the merit point menu, select the category he/she want to upgrade, and select Lower. There will be a series of confirmation messages.

In particular the first bullet. It says you can undo a spent merit to reuse it in the same catagory. How do you do this?

I'm asking because the other day I had 8 merits saved up. 1 merit into marksmanship, 2 merits into katana. So I lowered my 1 merit in marksmanship to 0 and I thought I'd put that one into archery but, it wouldnt let me.

Is that statement made in FFXIclopedia misleading? I always thought once you spend a merit, its gone for good, which is what the 2nd bullet point says. The reason why I lowered my marksmanship was because I thought I could put that 1 merit into something else of the same catagory as the first bullet point says.

Anyone know?

edit: after re-reading that first bullet point over a couple times. I think its just worded a little awkwardly. I think it means that if you're already maxed out for that catagory, you can lower your spent points to make room for other upgrades.

o well. carry on....
    Last edited by Omni; 11-15-2006, 10:17 AM. Reason: @_@
    Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
    ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Re: Undoing merits

Basically, if you remove a merit that you've already distributed, you lose it. You can't lower or remove a merited stat/ability/attribute, and then use that point for something else.

I think this REALLY sucks, as I would love to raise my Enmity for some jobs (namely PLD), but change my Enmity down for other jobs (like DD or mage). Unfortunately, this is not possible as of right now.

Looks like you're stuck with losing that marksmanship merit. ><
    Elanria (Shiva Server) Bastok
    75DRG
    55PLD
    LS: Outerheaven (Social)
    LS: SpiritWithin (HNM/Dynamis)
    http://after-cancer.blogspot.com

Comment

I think you misunderstood the first bullet is all. It sounds like you can undo an upgrade in a category, to free up that space in that category to put future points into. Like your at your limit for points spent in combat skills, and you undo your marksmanship point just to make room for the archery point you want to add. Not that you get to move that point.

Comment

Looks like you figured it out. ^^ lol

I've considered doing some random Combat Skill Merits for low level jobs and remove them later. (Putting in 1 or 2 Dagger Merits for leveling THF subjob. Would give me Viper Bite earlier, and a little extra Acc & Atk. Or adding some Axe Merits to have Rampage a level early for WAR.) But I never saw something say how much it cost to remove a Merit. Now I know I could remove 1 of my MP Merits with 1 Merit point, but is the next one I remove 2 Merit points or always stay at 1 Merit Point.
        Odude
        PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
        RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
        SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

No, it is accurate.

You lose the merit point for good. However, you gain the ability to increase other merits within the same category.

Take, for instance, the WHM group 2 merits (Devotion, Martyr, Protectra V, and Shellra V). You can have, at most, 6 merits within group 2. Let's say that I fully merited Protectra (max 3) and Shellra (max 3). This means that I cannot put merits into either Devotion or Martyr. However, if I decided that I DID actually want access to either of those abilities, I could remove a merit from Protectra or Shellra (and lose the merit points) but be able to gain 1 level in either of Martyr or Devotion (assuming that I had the merit points available).

So, FFXIclopedia is accurate.

Hope this helps

WHM99 - RDM99 - WAR99 - BRD99 - MNK99 - BLM99 - DNC99 - SCH 99 - BST 99
          WorldSlayers ~ Asura http://sillygalka.blogspot.com

Comment

yea, i made an edit in my op like 2 sec after i posted i think the first time i read it i skimmed it (with a bit of wishful thinking as well) and was like 'oh great! ima remove that unwanted marksmanship merit and give it to archery!' else i would have just kept that marksmanship merit until i reach 12/12 combat skill merits.

o well. no biggie. 10k nowadays is like not even an hours worth of pt'ing. ^^ if i was meriting back when I grinded ninja... 10k was great if you had pt for 3 hours....

thx guys.

Comment

Yep. I'm dreading levelling WAR, PLD and NIN for subjobs on my Tarutaru character because I've got -2 Enmity merits. I think I'm going to have to buckle down, drop my -2 Enmity and purchase at least 2 or 3 levels of +Enmity, then delevel it back and push -Enmity back up. Net cost of 60,000 or 90,000 XP depending on how far I want to push it.

Icemage

Comment

I thought the second bullet point would solve your confusion, saying you don't get merit points back for cancelling a merit...
                http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gen...igure-out.html
                http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...n-on-NA-US-PS2 (Adoulin install on NA PS2)
                http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.htm
                My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32.

Comment

I wish SE would allow merit "Sets" where you can potentially unlock every single merit there is, but only use say, 20 at the same time, upgradeable to 30 or so with SOLOABLE quests.

I mean, you can have all jobs at 75 but you can only use 1 1/2 at once right?
                  Originally posted by Ellipses
                  Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                  Originally posted by MCLV
                  A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                  More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                    Yep. I'm dreading levelling WAR, PLD and NIN for subjobs on my Tarutaru character because I've got -2 Enmity merits. I think I'm going to have to buckle down, drop my -2 Enmity and purchase at least 2 or 3 levels of +Enmity, then delevel it back and push -Enmity back up. Net cost of 60,000 or 90,000 XP depending on how far I want to push it.
                    Icemage

Heh, ya I don't touch my Enmity Merits since, unlike all other merits, upping one can have a harmful effect on certain jobs.
                    Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                    Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                    Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                    Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                    Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Kinda stinks in the case where you can have 3 different jobs lvl. an really cant distribute points like you want to. If i have 5 katana, an 5 axe merits. thats means i only have 2 more merits to put into another slot. Which is sad since im 65 thf. Now i can only put 2 merits into marksmenship or dagger. An what about those merits i want to put into parry or eva. Now i cant. In someways this just cripples those who have 3-4 jobs there ls relys on.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Originally posted by bungiefan View Post
                        I thought the second bullet point would solve your confusion, saying you don't get merit points back for cancelling a merit...
                        I originally thought that meant you didnt get the point back to spend else where, just only in the same catagory which you decreased from. which is what i mistaken what point 1 meant.

wtchime in though. almost helpful. thx.

Comment

Originally posted by little ninja View Post
                          Kinda stinks in the case where you can have 3 different jobs lvl. an really cant distribute points like you want to. If i have 5 katana, an 5 axe merits. thats means i only have 2 more merits to put into another slot. Which is sad since im 65 thf. Now i can only put 2 merits into marksmenship or dagger. An what about those merits i want to put into parry or eva. Now i cant. In someways this just cripples those who have 3-4 jobs there ls relys on.
                          yea i'm having that issue now. I mainly play rng and nin. so do i put 8 into archery and 4 into katana? or vice versa? I read somewhere taht in the dmg calculation formula, that having the 8th merit doesnt help you anymore than just having 7 because the formula rounds down a decimal making skill at 7 the same as skill at 8 when it comes to the calculation. So if that is true, am i thinking 7/5 split? or 6/6 then that leaves no room for defensive skills or any other jobs. ><

taru edit: damn didnt auto-merge.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                            yea i'm having that issue now. I mainly play rng and nin. so do i put 8 into archery and 4 into katana? or vice versa? I read somewhere taht in the dmg calculation formula, that having the 8th merit doesnt help you anymore than just having 7 because the formula rounds down a decimal making skill at 7 the same as skill at 8 when it comes to the calculation. So if that is true, am i thinking 7/5 split? or 6/6 then that leaves no room for defensive skills or any other jobs. ><
                            taru edit: damn didnt auto-merge.
                            Most who i have asked about in the merit department have gone to 4 or 5 in their respectable weapons, then stoped. Which for the most part would make your weapons skill to = that of lvl 77 job. But now my problem is i have 2 left, do i save those for sword or dagger since im lvling rdm an thf now? But then i skip out on putting points into eva an parry..

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Maybe they did it so that people who do nothing but play 15 hours a day 7 days a week aren't 20 times stronger than other players.
                              Likibiki ~ Crusher of Dreams
                              75 Summoner
                              58 White Mage
                              Pandemonium Server

Comment

Working...
                              X