Because We Never Have Enough Windower Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because We Never Have Enough Windower Threads

Okay, this is purely a matter of curiosity. There a several pro/anti windower threads going. If you have something to add to those, do it there. This is thread is only to establish a poll because I'm genuinely curious as to how many people actually want windower.

SO...

For the purpose of this poll I will define a "soft cheat". A "soft cheat" is a cheat (gaining an advantage PS2 or 360 players do not have) that does not have a direct, visible affect on other players.

Specificly included are Windower plugins like TParty, Blood Pace, and Distance. Minimaps would also be included, as are /ja and /ma count-down timers, HP% readers on Mobs, etc. Basicly, anything that already exists in a -readily- available method, but changing the nature of that method (Distance = a hard number instead of guestimating on the small radar, for example.)

Please just try and use common sense.

EDIT: For the record, I am talking about PC only. Not adding any "soft cheats" to PS2 or 360 users, -even- if they are added to PC. Please take that into account when you vote.
    Yes, however they should not include any of the "soft cheats"
    70.83%
    Yes; and they should include "soft cheats" as well
    19.05%
    No; it should not be alowed, period.
    10.12%
    Last edited by sevenpointflaw; 07-21-2006, 10:48 AM.

Re: Because We Never Have Enough Windower Threads

provided that the same info was available for all, i'd have no objection to option 2. I think considering what is available in other MMOs the GUI could do with a facelift, in general, the game has come a long way since release. The main issue i can see is the low res of low end PC's and PS2 limiting the amount of info on the screen while still being practical to see what going on.

i think option 1 is a more likely request, but tbh i can't even see them budging that far.

After your edit:

I would have voted "Yes, however they should not include any of the "soft cheats"" Instead of "Yes; and they should include "soft cheats" as well"" if you aren't going to update the GUI on the consoles. Windower should still be made legitimately available.
    Last edited by ikkleste; 07-21-2006, 10:48 AM.
    Kylestie was defeated by Curiosity.

Comment

Opps, I misread the poll, can you change my vote from 3 to 1 please.

Comment

Yes, only because it's not cheating per-say. What am I going to do? Instant messange someone on an outside source to get information while I'm playing the game?

Give me a fucking break.

This is the same as playing on your ps2, and surfing the internet simultaneously. There is NO difference.
        ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

I wonder if using a cell phone to contact my friends to get on to get to the HNM thats up and unclaimed is gainst the ToS... It is a third party device... ~_^

Consequently, if I could poke a moderator or administrator... SE seems to at least on the surface be intersted in what premier communities have to say. I would like to ask if there is a significant vote turn out - REGARDLESS of how the voting turns out, could this be broached to SE in the form of a question?

IE: Our users show an overwhelming support for wanting a windowable FFXI, will we get it?

Also, I don't know if any of you are in contact with other NA premier communities, but if you are, I say hell with it. SE wants to know what the premier communities want - start polls in all the NA communities and the HOUND the admin to pose the resaults to SE like they asked.

Comment

I havnt actually played the game YET... but i always play games in windowed mode. And during down times ill switch songs or IM somone (depending on the game)

I chose yes but without hacks

Comment

The only way any of the "soft cheats" as you call them would be okay is if they were added to all versions. Officially adding them to just the PC version would be ridiculous. (Especially since it would probably be easier for them to add it to all versions than to try and maintain different codebases for that stuff.)
              Ellipses on Fenrir
              There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
              . . .

Comment

Be that as it may, the poll is meant to focus on adding one function to FFXI for PC users as is. And with that regard, the three schools of thought seem to be "No Windower," "Windower," and of course, "Windower with basic plugins."

The poll is very specificly not meant to be "Does the GUI for FFXI need an overhaul on all platforms, and should it include better counters, tp display, etc."

That, IMO, is a very different question then "Should PC users be able to play FFXI in a windowed mode."

Hope that makes sense?

EDIT: I would hope that PS2/360 players vote as well in that regards though, since that is often thier biggest concern. If they don't mind windower itself, but do not like plugins, then by all means! Support the PC users. If you think even windowing itself is unfair, then by all means! Vote no!

Comment

Should have made this clear, but I was just stating my reason for voting the way I did. Since the poll is specifically about the PC version, I consider that option (windowed mode + hax) idiotic. (Not idiotic to include in the poll, idiotic to vote for.)
                  Ellipses on Fenrir
                  There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                  . . .

Comment

Ah... I misread what you meant. ^^ Its all cool

Comment

I can bounce between 1 or 3, definatly not 2 though.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Will I get reported for using a Logitech G15 keyboard, which includes a 3rd party application made by Logitech to make macros on the fly with the macro button.

They did hand out these keyboards over at Fan Festival '06.
                        Hacked on 9/9/09
                        FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

I'm choosing number 1.

An option to minimize the window with a program from SE like the option you got in a game like Guild Wars wouldn't ruin the game for anyone. All it would do would be as if you just had 2 computers, one to play on and one to search for information.

However, I'm strongly against anything that isn't official from SE and that everyone in the game doesn't have access to, if you would add the ability to see full PT TP, then PS2 and X-BOX would also have to have them.

If SE added these options, it would no longer be cheat, but seriously, good players don't need to know hom much TP their skill partner has, the skill partner will make sure to announce his or her TP if needed or asked.
                          One Windurst to rule them all
                          One Windurst to conquer the others
                          One Windurst to find the others
                          And in mithraness bind them

Comment

I don't care about TP. I don't care about Drawdistance. I don't care for windower aside from it's function to allow me to go in and out of the application to use my PC without having to log out > in.

Voted 1

Comment

Originally posted by Kisshu
                              I'm choosing number 1.

An option to minimize the window with a program from SE like the option you got in a game like Guild Wars wouldn't ruin the game for anyone. All it would do would be as if you just had 2 computers, one to play on and one to search for information.

However, I'm strongly against anything that isn't official from SE and that everyone in the game doesn't have access to, if you would add the ability to see full PT TP, then PS2 and X-BOX would also have to have them.

If SE added these options, it would no longer be cheat, but seriously, good players don't need to know hom much TP their skill partner has, the skill partner will make sure to announce his or her TP if needed or asked.
                              I have the same opinion. I don't mind if the window can be minimized, but strongly against anything that benefits one platform to the detriment of another.
                              The last remaining evil white mage on Ramuh.
                              Killing tanks since 2004

Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey
                              "I can picture in my mind a world without war,
                              a world without hate.
                              And I can picture us attacking that world,
                              because they'd never expect it."

Comment

Working...
                              X