Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pl's. Good or Bad?

Originally posted by Nimrod4154
    Well I also only get my subjobs PLed, and I don't really have to be good at them in that case. And I beg to differ, reading about a job would give you a lot more information then mindlessly grinding in Valkurm.
    More information? Mostly false information. Face it, you won't be good at a job unless you do it. Practice man practice. You do need to be good at your subjobs... Sigh. You are worse then a PL in valkurm curing subless galka whm's. That is bad..

Comment

Even considerable amounts of reading aren't a substitute for experience. And you can only really learn the limits of your job when you're leveling without a PL.

Also, when you are leveling your sub? It is your main. So treating it as though it doesn't matter is kind of selling it, and yourself, short. If you want to half ass your sub levels, then don't do it in regular exp parties, because you're just ruining the play experience for everyone you group with.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveToHeal
        More information? Mostly false information. Face it, you won't be good at a job unless you do it. Practice man practice. You do need to be good at your subjobs... Sigh. You are worse then a PL in valkurm curing subless galka whm's. That is bad..
        False information? Well if it is mostly from forums with experienced players who give feedback on the guide, then I don't see how it is false. I do not spend the WHOLE ride to 20 powerleveling, simply a third of it to hurry it up. The rest of the time is spent mastering the job.

Originally posted by Aelathir
        Even considerable amounts of reading aren't a substitute for experience. And you can only really learn the limits of your job when you're leveling without a PL.

Also, when you are leveling your sub? It is your main. So treating it as though it doesn't matter is kind of selling it, and yourself, short. If you want to half ass your sub levels, then don't do it in regular exp parties, because you're just ruining the play experience for everyone you group with.
        I do not half ass my sub levels. They are all geared according to their level and I play my subjobs fine.I am usually the one teaching new players the basics in Valkurm. If anything I am adding to their experience.
        FF Tribute - Chocobo Mix

Hililen
        of the Diabolos server. Current residence:San d'Oria
        40 MNK 22 WAR 15 BLM 13 WHM

Comment

False information? Well if it is mostly from forums with experienced players who give feedback on the guide, then I don't see how it is false. I do not spend the WHOLE ride to 20 powerleveling, simply a third of it to hurry it up. The rest of the time is spent mastering the job.

You keep chaging your story... make up your mind. Good luck though gooooood luuuuck....

Comment

Originally posted by LoveToHeal
            You keep chaging your story... make up your mind. Good luck though gooooood luuuuck....
            Alright whatever you say. So easy it is to end a debate with sarcasm. I never said I spend my whole time through 20 getting powerleveled. I try to get through 20 as soon as possible while learning my job, and if that means getting PLed once or twice through that time, then that's what I will do.

I do admit I worded my first post in this thread pretty badly though.
            FF Tribute - Chocobo Mix

Hililen

Comment

I do not half ass my sub levels. They are all geared according to their level and I play my subjobs fine.I am usually the one teaching new players the basics in Valkurm. If anything I am adding to their experience.
              I'm just going based on what you've posted here. You said that you PL all your subs, which means that you're not playing at your potential. So either you're gearing correctly and doing really awesome or you're being PL'd because subs don't matter. Which is it?

I just saw your latest post. If that's the case, then you just mis-represented yourself. We can't infer what you don't explain. You said you get PL'd through level 20. Can you fault us for taking your word for it?

Comment

I'm just going based on what you've posted here. You said that you PL all your subs, which means that you're not playing at your potential. So either you're gearing correctly and doing really awesome or you're being PL'd because subs don't matter. Which is it?
                I do not PL all my subjobs, If I said that then I am sorry for that is not true. It is all situational according to my which job I am leveling. I gear all my jobs and play well regardless of whether or not a PL is present.

I edited my first post as well.
                FF Tribute - Chocobo Mix

Hililen

Comment

PL: Getting PL'd for 500 exp to ding your next level on a job, because you have a full gear's upgrade and really don't want to face taking two sets of gear to a party when you're already full of tools, ammo, food, gear swap equip etc: Good (ish).

PL: General mob tanking and depriving the main healers of valuable experience (not points), denying the DD's experience (not points) of hate control, denying the tanks understanding of hate management: Bad.

There are sometimes occasions when a PL is a good thing, but in all my years of experience in Vana'diel... they cause more harm than good from everything I've seen.

Comment

Good if a PL sticks with me all the time and helps me get to lvl 75 for all jobs!

Comment

• Re: Pl's. Good or Bad?

Originally posted by earthjig
                      Good if a PL sticks with me all the time and helps me get to lvl 75 for all jobs!

Good luck with that. For serious.

I really hope you get it, and you don't live to regret it.

Comment

a PL as an insurance policy is a good thing. Helping with links and throwing the occasional emergency cure, etc. Is good. However, the types that are like "I'll Cure III you and tank it myself" are sickening, because:

1) The WHM is out of a job, and is effectively leeching (and if you're like me, your divine magic is still single digits, so good luck there)

2) The tank is screwed. No evasion or shield skillups, no Ninjitsu skillups (aside from debuffs and elementals) and no damage, thereby making the WHM's healing skill also underleveled.

3) People don't think about this one. DDs don't get the hate concept. If some high level PL is taking zero damage and holding mondo hate, a DD could be a complete idiot and attack/nuke without hesitation.

Bad PLs result in bad habits. Good PLs result in fun parties. No PL at all results in survival tactics and character.

Up to you what you want. Personally, I'd rather have a fun party in the dunes with a good PL than learn survival tactics I already have, or not gain skills I need.

Comment

Good luck with that. For serious.

I really hope you get it, and you don't live to regret it.
                          That wouldn't happen to be a subtle Wicked Refrence, would it?

On subject, though, I hate partylevelers. I have not been playing XI too long, about four months, but I can already see the harm it does. I have taken 5ish jobs through the dunes, and I've seen enough people who simply can't function in parties without a partyleveler. In Kazham, you get to party with PLD who have no idea how to keep hate, cause they've never needed to. And in Garlaige, when you are invited to parties with PLers, you have to wonder when people are going to try and stand on their own two feet. I've gotten to the point where I will leave a party if they have a PLer, which can cause problems, but also, I think I've gotten much more of a handle on being a BLM, or a WHM, or a SMN without a PLer, which is worth the loss of exp.

Comment

That wouldn't happen to be a subtle Wicked Refrence, would it?
                            Maybe!

Comment

Maybe!
                              I think I love you.

Comment

Speaking of Pls, last night Once again I was trying to level my whm up to sneak/inv level for coffer hunts.

Got into a party Started off really good. Till this

"Ok guys 5-10 minutes till the PL gets here, then lets go take snippers"

Ok this is a level 12-14 party, we were taking goblins.

Then the Pl got there

We took snippers that took i think about 3 minutes to kill (about 300 exp)

Well I was kinda pissed, I know its not that hard to learn, but I would kinda had prefered to have done the cureing by myself, with some back-up from the blm.

Then the puller starts pulling faster than I can handle, I'm only an Elvaan whm. (and even the Pl starts to run dry becuase he was only a lvl 37 whm)

Well the tank dies becuase they took a sheep (stupidly too might I add, I hate sleep, and the other tp mve it uses)

And some random high level whms stop by, and raise II the tank. And they decided to stick around for another 20-30 minutes.

You think one PL is bad. Try three X.X

Then I dont get to cast anything other than slow, the occasional dia on snippers, becuase evertime I try to heal, the 3 PLs do cure 2s, and 3s.

Then all three PLs leave, we try taking one snipper. I run out of MP near the end, the snipper kills the tank. then the monk. Then the Thf, (Though the Thf and tank both had WS that could have killed it.)

The blm finally casts fire and kills it.

Im like ok...
                                gotta go.

Fine shows that PLs can keep a PT alive, But compeltly screws the WHM, death by boredom much?

By my verdict the PL is a bad thing definatly.

(Sorry had to rant someplace)

I will live, and die by the Sword

Comment

Working...
                                X