X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pl's. Good or Bad?

Delete.

Pl's. Good or Bad?

Pl's. Known also as Power Levelers. Do you think they are good? Or bad..

Good:

They make less downtime.
    They heal great for a while.
    They can take alot of hits.
    Can take away links.

Bad:
    Make members crappy at their job.

I personnally think they are both. Good IF the party has done their job before. Bad since most players have no idea how to do their job.

I have seen rank 10s hoping for a Pl. I have seen wars saying "Lol, what is Voke?". I Have seen people saying "No Whm please, get a Pl.". I have seen people say "Omg, Whm, you have to rest for mp already?" (People don't know how to tank and all). I have seen people never set hps and sit their for a long time waiting for raise which stops pt from gaining good exp.

What do you all go for?

Comment

Re: Pl's. Good or Bad?

If the party is good, you don't need a PL. I play this game to challenge myself, not be babysat, so no, I am not a fan of powerlevels. I'm sure there are folks out there that disagree, but oh well.

Comment

If there's a PL, just whip out your hammer, eat meat and play like a noobie red mage (debuf and swing).

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru
          If there's a PL, just whip out your hammer, eat meat and play like a noobie red mage (debuf and swing).
          I just disband in that instance. I don't play this game to do it on easy mode.

Comment

I'm bitchy. I'm moody. I'm opinionated. Don't mind me.

PL if your friend is bored, and your just hacking away EP cause you feel like it is fine.

PL as a way to get XP to seriously level up yourself or your party is for cheap hacks and wannabe gamers. Might as well put on a dress, do your hair up in pigtails and /sh I'm a little sissy, I need a baby sitter!

Personally, I pay for the game to play it. If someone else is playing for me, then what I'm paying for? PL (Do you have it?) /pcmd leave (Thank you.) I'll take my leveling to people who like to actually play instead of coast along on others' successes.

Anyone who thinks I'm a moron for doing so can bite me. I'm not the one that will have a reputation as "That PLD who can't hold hate" or "That RDM who only melees" and when I'm sitting at 75 and you still can't get your AF because you suck that bad, well... I'll be glad to smear some lipstick on your wrists when you're you're being all emo in /ls about how you can't get anything done.

I hate PLs. Can you tell?

/EndRant

Comment

Originally posted by sevenpointflaw
              I'm bitchy. I'm moody. I'm opinionated. Don't mind me.

PL if your friend is bored, and your just hacking away EP cause you feel like it is fine.

PL as a way to get XP to seriously level up yourself or your party is for cheap hacks and wannabe gamers. Might as well put on a dress, do your hair up in pigtails and /sh I'm a little sissy, I need a baby sitter!

Personally, I pay for the game to play it. If someone else is playing for me, then what I'm paying for? PL (Do you have it?) /pcmd leave (Thank you.) I'll take my leveling to people who like to actually play instead of coast along on others' successes.

Anyone who thinks I'm a moron for doing so can bite me. I'm not the one that will have a reputation as "That PLD who can't hold hate" or "That RDM who only melees" and when I'm sitting at 75 and you still can't get your AF because you suck that bad, well... I'll be glad to smear some lipstick on your wrists when you're you're being all emo in /ls about how you can't get anything done.

I hate PLs. Can you tell?

/EndRant
              I don't mind you at all. I actually got into a minor argument (it started as a discussion) with an LS mate the other day. I soloed all of my jobs (save WHM BLM and RDM) to 20, and I mentioned how tedious certain jobs could be. He said that he solos everything to 20 and beyond by having his wife's 75 WHM follow him around to PL.

"That's not solo." I said. "That's being powerleveled."

He took offense. Unfortunately for him, no matter how much offense he took, he was still being powerleveled, whereas I was soloing.

Comment

I prefer to not have a Power Level. Part of why I like the "Level Grind" is banding
                together with a group and turning your party into a well oiled experience making
                machine. A Power Leveler makes it too easy.

I won't necessarily leave a party that is being Power Leveled, unless it just gets
                ridiculous. (fighting mobs we can't hit at all, the PL is tanking instead of the tank)
                I would prefer the Power Leveler to just throw cures in to reduce downtime, not
                to tank the mob for the party.

Originally posted by Aelathir
                I don't mind you at all. I actually got into a minor argument (it started as a discussion) with an LS mate the other day. I soloed all of my jobs (save WHM BLM and RDM) to 20, and I mentioned how tedious certain jobs could be. He said that he solos everything to 20 and beyond by having his wife's 75 WHM follow him around to PL.

"That's not solo." I said. "That's being powerleveled."

He took offense. Unfortunately for him, no matter how much offense he took, he was still being powerleveled, whereas I was soloing.
                This made me laugh. I suppose the concept of soloing being done by an individual is
                hard to grasp for some people, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Davitron3000
                  I prefer to not have a Power Level. Part of why I like the "Level Grind" is banding
                  together with a group and turning your party into a well oiled experience making
                  machine. A Power Leveler makes it too easy.
                  Agreed. The best part of this game is when your party just clicks, and you tear through the mobs and the exp like crazy. It's beautiful.

Comment

Having played this game for only 4 months, I've already gone through 3 stages of different feelings towards pl's.

At first, I didn't care one way or the other (newbie in the Dunes, didn't even notice how the pl was affecting things.) Then I grew to hate pl's (new tank trying to learn to keep hate, and getting screamed at - "DON'T VOKE OFF THE PL!!).

Now, after having helped many friends myself, and taking several jobs through the Dunes and two jobs through the jungles and Garlaige, I've learned that as with anything - moderation is the key. I don't mind having a pl, as long as they're just there to help out in an emergency and don't take hate! Especially in Garlaige, it's nice to know that when things go desperately bad (as they SO often do), you don't necessarily have to keep dying.

And when I help my friends in Dunes parties, I make it a point to be emergency back-up only. I refuse to take hate and tank for a party. I'm very careful about it. PL tanks rob parties of vital skill-ups and experience, and I won't do it.

Comment

woooo last night.... had a guy dual boxing for a PL, he was the DRG/WAR, and he was also contrling a level 75 BLM/WHM Galka :p Only reason I sayed was because I am playing SAM right now...and find it boring as hell -.- just trying to get it to 37

but we had no healer in the PT since we had the PL... so we had an all Melee PT
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Arwenne
                        Especially in Garlaige, it's nice to know that when things go desperately bad (as they SO often do), you don't necessarily have to keep dying.
                        You don't need a PL in Garlaige! You're in your 30s by that point, I mean my god. When are people going to cut the cord?

Also, don't go to Garlaige. Aggro/link problems solved!

Comment

I refuse to be in a PT with a PL. I say "PL {No thanks.}" and I disband. I hate how they effect party dynamics and I refuse to support the practice. If someone is there to help wth Links and serious emergencies, I don't mind - that is not a PL, that is Guard Duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamlet
                            There is nothing either good or bad, but the god damn noobs make it so.
                            A PL for a party that really does know what they're doing (except, apparently, where to camp so they wouldn't need a PL) can be helpful. In any other situation, the PL won't do anything except keep death at bay. They really don't speed up XP for parties that end up needing them. And if your party is so close to death that a PL keeps it at bay, you're probably overhunting or screwing up in some other fundamental way that, if fixed, would do much more for your XP rate.
                            Ellipses on Fenrir
                            There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                            . . .

Comment

You don't need a PL in Garlaige! You're in your 30s by that point, I mean my god. When are people going to cut the cord?
                              You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But in my short experience, I've learned that not every party can be a perfectly well-oiled exp-grinding machine. I guess I just don't see the point in wiping 8 times in a row (happened one Saturday in the jungles) if you don't have to. And again, I don't like pl tanks - but someone who's just there for emergencies and links doesn't hurt anything, in my opinion.

Also, don't go to Garlaige. Aggro/link problems solved
                              I couldn't agree more. However, it's rather difficult to get an Altepa party going.

Comment

Working...
                              X