Best way to find a party?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to find a party?

I came back to FFXI with a goal: To have a fun time. But it seems that that is not possible without a party. And I'm completely fine with that. Online games are always tons of fun with other people, hence the "online" part. But I just can't seem to ever find a party to do things with. Maybe this is due to my level, but the game just isn't any fun by myself. Any tips on how to find good, fun partys?
    I'm also trying to find more to do in the game other than just fighting. I'm trying to have fun, but it's proving a little more difficult that I thought.

Re: Best way to find a party?

If that WAR/9 is accurate, yeah, it's your level. Level 10 is generally the minimum people start to party at. And that's not really a good idea, IMO. I say wait til 12-14 minimum. When you do start to party, use informative, auto-translated search comments, and don't shout that you're LFP*. You could always try making your own party, too.

Maybe see if you can find a decent linkshell on Lakshmi? That'd cut down on the loneliness.

As far as other stuff to do... crafting, fishing, HELM, the quests and missions you can handle at that level (admittedly not terribly many).

*To me, shouting about the fact that one is LFP always seems like a carry-over from other MMOs. In FFXI, the search function is used extensively to make parties. If a party leader is looking for your job & level, they'll find you without you announcing it. Announcing it always seems to indicate someone unfamiliar with that aspect of the game, and personally, my first thought is never "Hey, let's get the guy that's been spamming shouts for the last half-hour. Surely he's awesome."
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Comment

I was worried it was the level. There has to be some way to level faster than I am Grinding is getting really annoying. I can't wait untill I hit 12 so I can actually have fun.

Comment

There are lots of threads on ways to expedite the trip from 1-12ish. If you have enough conquest points for one, get an Empress Band from your local Signet guy. Grab some Selbina Milk to cut down time, and some cheap ATK or DEF food (Meat Jerky for example). Slaughter Easy Prey only (you can kill more of them faster than you can DC-EM, with less downtime, which makes for more XP/hour). Keep your gear up-to-date, and make sure you're using a greataxe and/or axe and shield.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

The fun doesn't automatically start at 12. Just FYI.

So long as you are adequately geared (using axes, or GAXE), eating food, and maybe carrying around some Selbina Milk, you should be able to easily solo until 14 or 15 (or beyond). Low level Valkurm Dunes parties aren't a ton of fun, but by the time you reach the mid-teens, things start to get a little bit better. I'd personally suggest holding out until then, but if you're determined to party sooner, I'm sure you can find one in Valkurm at 12.

Comment

Best way to find a party? Listen for loud music and drunk people. Oh you meant in FFXI. Keep gear updated. Use a seach comment. And most importantly, make a good impression. If someone likes you or thinks you are a good player they will invite you again. This has helped me so much when leveling my drg.
            Thanks Kazuki.
            Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Honestly if nobody are aimlessly slaughtering stuff around bastok i can take any job from 1-10 in little over an hour. another hour an a half i can be lvl 12 an waiting for a pt in valkum. its kinda of funny but i actually find taking my mules jobs to 12 alot more fun an relaxing then i do meriting at 75. its kinda odd how i actually managed to cap shield, eva an parrying at lvl 12.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

I don't wanna be a buzzkill but if you find the 'grind' from 1-10 to be too slow paced I think maybe FF XI might not be for you. It's a great and rewarding game but you need to be realistic about what rewards you expect.
                A Day in the Life of a Taru

Comment

1-10 IS somewhat of a grind on your first job, though. Remember, no subjob, not much funds (and no idea what to do with funds even if you had them).

I recommend doing some more reading on this forum, and asking some intelligent questions if you get stuck. FFXI is a really fun game, but it really doesn't open up for most players until you reach somewhere around level 30, sometimes even later (yes, that seems very far away if you're level 9, but this game isn't a race to see who finishes first ).

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
                    1-10 IS somewhat of a grind on your first job, though. Remember, no subjob, not much funds (and no idea what to do with funds even if you had them).

I recommend doing some more reading on this forum, and asking some intelligent questions if you get stuck. FFXI is a really fun game, but it really doesn't open up for most players until you reach somewhere around level 30, sometimes even later (yes, that seems very far away if you're level 9, but this game isn't a race to see who finishes first ).

Icemage
                    lol my newest char ive started today is already a level 8 war, an has 50k to his name.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

I also find the solo grind part from L1 to L12 or so mind numbing. Luckily the "new" Empress Bands make it quite a bit easier. Eating food (meat jerky recommended at that level) makes your killing speed much faster and Selbina Milk (why didn't I ever realize to use it myself?) should cut downtime a lot for a low cost.

Comment

Well, I finally hit lvl 10, and got a really fun party. We went a did a couple quests and a mission, and had a great time. I'm now lvl 11, and I'm really enjoying the game ^-^ I was expecting being in groups to be more fun that "grinding" solo, and it was. I now see why SE went to such troubles to make sure people grouped: it's fun.

Comment

if you want a party that badly you should get some of your friends to play and all party thats what im going to do from start

Comment

I wish my friends would play, but most of them are already into WoW and aren't willing to switch over to FFXI Ah well, I'll have to live with it.

Comment

There are a lot of parties in Valkurm Dunes, Qufim Island, Yuhtunga Jungle, and Bhaflau Thickets through Mamook, among other places. Simply run up there and you'll see a lot of people partying. You might need some Inivisble/sneak meds if your level is preventing you from finding these parties. Just try not to annoy anyone while they exp. Why would you want to find a party anyway? Better off just seeking for one and waitting to be invited.
                              Read my blog.
                              ffxibrp.livejournal.com
                              Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
                              Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

Working...
                              X