Why do you play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you play?

i ask this not for the common "i like to kill stuff" or what not. i would really like an in depth anwser on why people play this game. i for one have come to the conclusion that it is my own little espace from reality. from time to time i find my self wishing i lived in another time, or another place(one similar to vana'diel). i find it soothing to log on, and live another life, the life i always wanted i guess. so please, enlighten me on why it is you play...
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 07-04-2006, 11:43 PM.

Re: Why do you play?

I use it to escape real life, and in an off beat way, it's a chance to travel and see new places, experience new things and not spends 1000's of dollars.

Comment

Because being cyberdrunk is better than nothing.

Comment

I like to kill stuf....damn it, not a valid answer.

Um...

I play FFXI (and really, any MMO) for a few reasons. First and foremost, for recreation. It's a nice virtual getaway from the stresses of my daily life, and it's cool to spend a bit of time as an adventurer in a fantasy world. Once upon a time I used tabletop RPGs like D&D for this kind of relaxation, but these days MMOs are far easier and more accessible for me.

I also play for the community, and the interaction with that community both via the forums (such as FFXIO) and in-game. I really enjoy that part of my FFXI experience, as cheesy as that may sound. And though I don't have a lot of in-game friends right now, I hope to eventually, and maybe one day be in the endgame with those people. I dunno.

I'm not very eloquent at this hour.

Comment

Cause my little brother bought it and stuck me with the bill.

I keep playing it due to its something different (from what I normally play on my pc), with teamwork dynamics, a international player base and (moderate) alcohol consumption does not affect performance in game.

The only bad thing is some of its biggest successes are its biggest follies.

Comment

its a good game!!
            [main]@75 = BLM+WAR
            [sub]@37+ = NIN THF RNG WHM RDM

Comment

Well i find my self wishing i lived in another time, or another place where i could really use magic or something like that, very often... I play MMORPG:s ´cause there isnt a better place than that... Damn i hope someone makes a virtualworld where magic and monsters exists...

[edit] Oh, of course for fun too
              Last edited by Idzor; 07-05-2006, 02:37 AM.
              Idzor RDM/11
              Ladacroft WAR/9
              Tataki BLM/3

First is mine, 2nd and 3rd are my brothers.

Fishing is one of the best things in the game, sadly im a bastoker...

Comment

I play it for a few reasons. First and foremost, as a mild escape...all too often i find myself thinking at people, "If this were Vana'deil, I'd so stone yout Orcish Arse" (yes I've been online to long to use the 3letter version in everyday thought). Secondly as someone interested in Game programming... I like finding little things that programmers hide. Last but not least, I enjoy the community. In general it is a pleasant mass of people to game with. I tried EQ for a about a week before I decided it wasn't my crowd.

Comment

I play it because I continue to promise myself I'll pick up Japanese if I play long enough. Lo' and behold even after two college level classes and years of Japanese parties I still havn't picked up much.

It's that damn Kanji...

Comment

Originally posted by ImpactionActionHero
                    I play it because I continue to promise myself I'll pick up Japanese if I play long enough. Lo' and behold even after two college level classes and years of Japanese parties I still havn't picked up much.

It's that damn Kanji...
                    I have the same hope. Meanwhile, I haven't taken any classes, so my chances are somewhat slim. Also! I am kind of lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by ImpactionActionHero

It's that damn Kanji...
                      I had the same idea when I played the Japanese version of Phantasy Star Online. I *did* learn a few things, and my kana reading got better from figuring out what all the items were (fu... furo... Frozen Shooter, sweet!), but overall it didn't work nearly as well as I assumed it would.
                      Rockwolf / Galka not-so-extraordinaire

Comment

There are lots of little things I could say, like being a fan of the FF series, and liking the play control and "flavor" more than other MMOs, and those would all be true. But what it really boils down to is:

1) I'm too lazy to take up more difficult, rewarding hobbies.
                        2) I'm addicted to approval ("Good job!").
                        3) It provides a false sense of accomplishment that would otherwise be lacking.
                        4) I'm too socially inept to attempt making many RL friends, and most of the ones I have live more than a day's travel away.

So, largely, I'm that stereotype.
                        Ellipses on Fenrir
                        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                        . . .

Comment

I just like to pretend I'm an elf. People laugh at you less* in-game when you do that, I've found.

*somewhat

Comment

Well, initially I started playing because it's Final Fantasy . It was the first MMO I've ever played, and now that I've played a few others (WoW, EQII, L2), FFXI is still the best IMO.

It has the best storyline. I like the job/sub system. I like that you can have multiple jobs on one character. Basically, it boils down to me having fun; this game has been able to hold my interest for 2.5+ years.
                            BST66

Have you hugged your Taru today =)

Comment

#1 reason - it's FF

#2 reason - life has been too boring and needed escape

#3 reason - I can make new friends and their company is much much much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                              X