Skillup your Throwing while you can~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skillup your Throwing while you can~

I got Superior Private mercenary rank a couple weeks ago and got a Lamiabane to level my throwing since there hasn't been any easy way to skillup throwing on mage jobs before (WHM, BLM, and BRD all have throwing skill). While my LS was in sky one night, I decided to toss it around for a bit and see if I could get any skillup. When I finally managed to connect, I hit for 0.

According to the October 2005 patch notes:
    When engaging a monster with auto-attack, melee weapon skills will no longer improve unless at least one point of damage is inflicted.
    I, as well as many other people, believed this to apply to skilling up of any weapon. However, after a few more 0-damage tosses of my Lamiabane, I got a 0.5 skillup. So, it appears that you can still skillup ranged weapons when hitting for 0.

Moving to Al'taieu, I was able to skillup from 145 to 210 in 1 day. For those that don't know, hpemde mobs will not attack if you don't do any damage. You can stun, paralyze, provoke, whatever, all you want and they'll just stand there. Even hitting for 0 damage will not cause them to start attacking. People used to get signet staves and leave auto-attack on to cap their staff skill before the October patch. Now that there is a DMG: 1 throwing weapon, you can pretty much do the same with Throwing. The only difference here is you can't go afk for 6 hours while doing it.

If anyone wants to do this, I started on Ul'hpemdes at 145 as BRD, using sushi, double prelude, and 2 coral rings. At 185, I moved to Om'hpemdes. BRD caps Throwing at 200, so I switched to BLM for 200-210 and only used sushi and coral rings.

Re: Skillup your Throwing while you can~

Awesome. I was sort of worried on how I was going to skill up my throwing (when I am completely bored) after I got past ~130. WHM + Trollbane, go!
    Generic Info!

Comment

Wow, that's awesome information. I just wish I could utilize sea for that. I still lack access.
      guh :D

Comment

Any reason you're leveling Throwing? Or just so you can have everything cap'd when you look at your Combat skills? haha

A NIN & RNG in my LS have been leveling throwing lately. I think the NIN cap'd his. I wonder will this be a useful skill some day.
        Odude
        PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
        RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
        SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

Originally posted by tdh
          Any reason you're leveling Throwing? Or just so you can have everything cap'd when you look at your Combat skills? haha

A NIN & RNG in my LS have been leveling throwing lately. I think the NIN cap'd his. I wonder will this be a useful skill some day.
          I keep my throwing skill capped while leveling NIN so that I can use throwing weapons to keep my hate up. I've noticed most NIN don't though. That's really too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by tdh
            High level shurikens (really just about any level for that matter) have really good damage, and since sweetspot on throwing is point blank, you can still throw and melee at the same time. The biggest draw back is the lack of WS's for throwing. I suppose if the delay difference b/w melee and ranged attacks applies to throwing too, then a Ninja could theoretically use Blade: Jin far more. However, you then run into the problem of Haste having no effect on ranged attacks. A double edged sword I suppose.
            I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Originally posted by tdh

I try and cap all my skills just for the sake of capping them. Down to Parry on BRD, Shield on WHM, Summoning Magic on SMN, and Scythe on BLM now ><

The reason a lot of people level throwing is for the Winds used on Tu'Lia Gods. Each God drops a throwing item that is used to dispel the en-element attack of another God. No one typically wants to lot the winds and they're usually forgotten when we go up anyway. So, I figured I'll start lotting them and throwing them.

Comment

Its not just throwing. I've gotten skill ups on Marksmenship while pulling in the Dunes and hitting the mobs for 0 damage.
                sigpic
                Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

I heard somewhere about the throwing skill getting a set of weapon skills
                  it wasn't me... no wait... it was.

Comment

goldfish here I come
                    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Thats fking awesome. I need to find a throwing weapon for RDM now then I get to go pet some dolphins XD.
                      ~~Fayttt of Diabolos
                      PM8-4: (Aka Finished): Dawn, ZM17 (Aka Finished): Awakening, Windurst 8-1: Vain
                      RDM66/SMN25
                      *~*~*Cloudy*~*~*

Comment

it was back during the santa monica expo thing, and it was either for war or something like that... i can't remember to well, or where to find it, But i do remeber that being said.

Comment

Originally posted by tdh
                          Any reason you're leveling Throwing?
                          Fuma Shuriken | Level 60 | 72 Dmg | 192 Delay

This is why I'm leveling smithing. When you can afford to spam Fumas while tanking something you're afraid to lose hate on as a NIN because you don't have the JAs of a PLD and you've got BLMs on your backside mana burning...

Comment

SE never mentioned throwing weapon skills, at fan fest anyway.

They did toss around the idea of WAR throwing axes though.

Comment

ok well maybe at the fan fest the "reporter" made a mistake and said that they would have skills for them... they should tho... be a nice boost for people to use throwing weapons for besides pulling

Comment

Working...
                              X