Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A question about pronouciation.

Originally posted by Ryddr
    My best friend refers to the Moogle (moo • gul? right?) as mooglie...

fraking mooglie ..

..someone help him please.

Actually... he's right.

Moogle was originally "モーグリ" (mo-o-gu-ri) in the Japanese versions of FF.
    Junior Member?

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus
      Mee-jeen Gah-koo-re without that last i?
      Edit-Fixed it in my post.

I figured if I just said "Re" , then people would think "Re" as in "React" , which wasn't what I was going for, but yes, you are correct.

Romanizing is difficult ^^
      Wevrain - Shiva

Comment

Originally posted by PTT
        Mijin Gakure: (Mee-jeen Gah-koo-ray)
        The thing is, -ray isn't it either, because the E in Japanese (and spanish for that matter) is pronounced the same way as the first E in Elevator. Without the (ee) sound that ray has.
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

It's close enough, really, especially if you're talking to someone who's never taken Japanese.

Yes, however, you are correct. There are subtle differences that make a difference in how the word is ultimately pronounced.

However, I think we can all agree it's closer than Midge-inn-Gay-kurr, like one of my LS ninjas likes to call it.
          Wevrain - Shiva

Comment

Originally posted by Haggai
            Goos-tah-burg? Come on.
            What? That's how I say it. :D

I think when I first started playing Final Fantasy games I pronounced "chocobo" as "cho-cho-bo." I guess I just didn't know how to read or something, but it persisted for a while even after I realized I was saying it wrong. Weird.
            Rockwolf / Galka not-so-extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by PTT
              It's close enough, really, especially if you're talking to someone who's never taken Japanese.

Yes, however, you are correct. There are subtle differences that make a difference in how the word is ultimately pronounced.

However, I think we can all agree it's closer than Midge-inn-Gay-kurr, like one of my LS ninjas likes to call it.
              Sadly that's true, english isn't very friendly to Japanese words
              sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

I like to call Mijin Gakure "Midge-in Gacker". Just for fun though. I guess.

Comment

Sadly that's true, english isn't very friendly to Japanese words
                  Psh, English is not very friendly to its OWN words. Take, for instance, my handle: Oregonaut.

Oregon + naut = Oregonaut. Sort of like Jason and the Argonauts, except not pronounced the same.

The state of Oregon, one of the most widely mispronounced state names, has even vexed some of the idiots that do broadcast news for the state major media. [ˈo ɹɪ ɡən] being the proper pronounciation.

I've seen "Ory-gun" "Oh-ray-gun" "Oh-rye-gehn" "Or-A-gin" and countless other slaughterings. My own chat handle is more often read as "Oregano", like it is some French attempt at making an end-around a marijuana joke. (The actual etymology of the word Oregon is unclear. However, I'm proud of my state, and the handle is an inside joke in my circle of friends.)

Most frequently, it is simply that the people reading don't stop to think. Or they overanalyze the word and attempt to find meaning that isn't there. Every language has large limitations, and the slapdash language of English has more exceptions for its own rules than any other language I've studied.
                  Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb. - Dark Helmet

Comment

But that kind off pronunciation has nothing to do with the way it would be said in spanish.
                    Actually it did kind of have a spanish refference. Juanita comes out with a Wah sound, and Jepo with a We/Way sound.

Which is the reason for my refference of Way-no, because it does relate to being as if they are trying to speak it as being spanish.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by Macht
                      Actually it did kind of have a spanish refference. Juanita comes out with a Wah sound, and Jepo with a We/Way sound.

Which is the reason for my refference of Way-no, because it does relate to being as if they are trying to speak it as being spanish.
                      J in spanish has a sound similar to the H at the begining of most english words, Juanita would start with a sound similar to what Hoo in hood has (Ju-a-ni-ta). Jepo would be kinda the same as Hepo (He as in heheh and po as in position).

However, when you are saying a japanese word J will take a similar sound to J in the english word Justin or LL in spanish.

Spanish is very easy to pronounce if you get used to the idea that vocals will only have one sound regardless of what other letters are before or after them.

A will always sound as the A in Anthology

E will always sound as the E in Elevator

I will always have a the same sound as ee in eerie

O will always sound as the O in Original

U will always sound as the U in oo in hood

Since Japanese is the same as spanish in terms that words will always sound exactly as they are written (save for some exceptions in both languajes) it's very easy for us to learn to speak each other languages.

Edit> Romanized Japanese words will always sound as they are written. Since vocals are handled pretty much the same way in spanish and japanese you can use those sounds to pronounce japanese words.

"koko de" sounds the same in spanish or Japanese for example.
                      sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                      X