JP players hate being checked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JP players hate being checked

A few mins ago while in Qufim Island, I checked a 22 ranger in my party and he asked why I was checking him and that Japanese players hate being checked. Anyone else seen this? I've never heard of that.
    FF Tribute - Chocobo Mix

Hililen
    of the Diabolos server. Current residence:San d'Oria
    40 MNK 22 WAR 15 BLM 13 WHM

Re: JP players hate being checked

Aye. Several players have issues about being examined, and they'll change equipment quickly to knock your targeting off of them. I read once that the actual translation of checking a JP player seems to offend them.

Comment

I haven't seen any JP who take it that serious lately.... When japanese members in my PT got checked by random person out side of PT, they even talk and giggle about it. "oo I got check lol" that's the kind of comments I'm seeing as of late.

JP players usually don't check each other without asking.
      It's cool if you understand that and try not to check them too much.
      On the other hand, I don't know why we are always the side to adjust to them.... they should have openned up their mind and understand that checking is such a normal thing for us too.

Personally, I'll just check if I want to know what the person is wearing.... How embarrass could you be when you see the text "someone peek into your pants" ? It's just texts...
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

There is a gigantic thread on this very issue here, check it out!~

Pardon the pun.

Comment

I never understood why games reported that someone was "examining" you anyway.

in WoW you don't get a message, but everyone in that game has identical equipment and looks the same, i guess at higher levels most MMO's ar elike this.

Normally, I'll ask first if someone minds, especially if we are the same class/job as I want to know where I can get upgraded gear if their gear is better than mine. :D

Comment

I turned on the L1 notice filter (/check notices) about a month after I started playing and never had a problem with anyone examining me. The silly thing is the L1 filter ONLY filters this ONE SINGLE PIECE OF INFORMATION yet asking people to turn it on is like asking them to murder their families. It's one stupid toggle for crying out loud.

I don't /check anyone, even people with bazaars.

Comment

When this game has been out for 4+ years and people still don't realize there's an option to filter /check messages out, very little else people don't know ceases to surprise me.

Like how to make a Provoke macro at 30.
              Or WHMs still not using Regen at high levels.
              Or BLMs with an HNMLS pearl asking what you burst on Distortion.

Stuff like that.
              Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 06-25-2006, 02:34 AM. Reason: rawr

Comment

there's a lot of skillchains I need to ask too xD
                I only know MB on more commonly used ones... light, dark, distortion, fragmentation, liquidation? fusion.
                Still having trouble remember the others. Like... tranfixtion? Is that even a skillchain?
                There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Just make sure u check someone like /check "name" or untarget them quickly after you check them with the menu and when they unequip stuff it wont cancel ur window, then laugh at them for caring.
                  75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
                  Woodworking 91.9+2
                  ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

There are few things in life that annoy some people more than a busybody. Someone who's always staring, or comparing what they have to what you have. Also, it is a privacy issue for some. That is why /anon can be popular in MMOs. People just want to be left alone at times, and they don't want people staring at their stuff.

However, if there is an option to prevent people from /check'ing your gear, and it bothers you really badly when they do, you should use the option. If it bothers you, and you do nothing about it, you have no one to blame but yourself.
                    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb. - Dark Helmet

Comment

It says something like "person stares at you intently" to Japanese I was told. (probably says so in the other thread too).

I've no problem with people checking me, I do it to people with bazaars, or if someone in a party is ANON and won't answer when you ask them what job they are. If I think the person is going to be in tears over it, I'll ask them.
                      Standablaze
                      Server: Ramuh
                      Jobs: Dark Knight, Red Mage
                      Level: Not stated, because I can't be bothered updating 5 signatures when I level. Lets say mid levels.

英語ができますか

Comment

Hmm wonder why they hate it

FFXI Info:

Name:Arcticie
                        Race: TaruTaru
                        Job: RDM/32,BLM/15
                        Server: Kujata
                        Skills: 86/87

Comment

me too

Comment

Read my post and you will find out.
                            Standablaze
                            Server: Ramuh
                            Jobs: Dark Knight, Red Mage
                            Level: Not stated, because I can't be bothered updating 5 signatures when I level. Lets say mid levels.

英語ができますか

Comment

I always hear the "stares at you intently" line, and it's just kind of... awkward to me. I don't think that's a spot on representation of what the check notices say in Japanese, but then again, I can't accurately read the kanji, so I'm in the dark. Still, god knows why SE would make a line like that in the game if it is indeed true.
                              guh :D

Comment

Working...
                              X