I don't understand TP fully...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand TP fully...

Ok, usual proviso, I did use the Search function on the forums, but most of the words I thought to use TP, Weapon, Skill, damage, Shield Break, were either too common or lead to posts that had nothing to do with my question.

I'm a Hume WAR (Still level 8, I die a lot due to poison/dia. Maybe WAR isn't the class for me...) and I use a Buttefly Axe. I'm using the Great Axe level 10 Weapon Skill "Shield Break". If I wait for my TP to charge up to 300%, I do somewhere between 18 and 22 damage. A normal attack for me does between 24 and 38. If I use "Shield Break" when I only have just over 100% TP, I do between 32 and 49. (I've spent about 3 hours today writing down numbers hoping I'd see some form of a pattern.)

Shouldn't, logically, I do more damage having a higher TP? Or does that not matter for beans?

When I use my Bronze Axe, and use the Weapon Skill "Raging Axe", I have the same issues. It is possible that I just don't understand the relationship between TP and damage, if there is one.

Thanks for understanding my newb-ness.
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb. - Dark Helmet

Re: I don't understand TP fully...

Shield Break isn't a damaging weaponskill. It's main effect is that it lowers the evasion of the mob you're fighting, which is a heck of a lot more useful than just one burst of damage.

TP affects different weaponskills in different ways. TP generally determines amount of damage, or length of time for a status effect, or so on. Check out the description of each weaponskill for more info.^^

Raging Axe is a multi-hit weaponskill, so it's possible that you didn't do much damage on one of the hits, or that you didn't connect at all. That would account for a wide variable in damage.

Comment

Shield Break lowers the mods evasion for a certain period of time, effected by the amount of TP before use. Differend effects for every ws. Ones that are just "Damage varies with TP" will do more the higher TP you have unless they are multiple hit ws and you dont land all hits.
      75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
      Woodworking 91.9+2
      ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

Ooooh, ok. Hmmm. You know, the UI for the XBox has the help bar on the top of the screen.

Stop, think, think again, post. Think some more, realize how stupid you've just made yourself look, /sigh, hope that few people read your post and ignore your silly mistake. /disengage, /flee.

Comment

Aelathir! You beat me
          75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
          Woodworking 91.9+2
          ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

It's really alright to not understand, sometimes the help bar won't explain things fully.

As for the Dia/Poison deaths, they'll happen a lot early on against mage-types, for any job. Stick with what you like.

Comment

Since the tp stuff is covered, for the bit about you dying from poison/dia. Don't fight lizards if you are fighting them because of their poison attack. For beastmen poison/dia if Bastok is in control of Zulkheim you should be able to buy Selbinas Milk from Rosswald at J-7 for about 60gil. It's a regen drink and can counter the effects of weak dot spells which can save you if you finish a fight with low health.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeolus
                Aelathir! You beat me
                It was all luck, I promise. You were right behind me.

Comment

Alas, on Carbuncle it seems that all Bastok is in control of is Bastok. Fairly annoying.

Comment

ya its a lilk confusing

Comment

Originally posted by Blade-San
                      ya its a lilk confusing
                      You've been commenting on everything today. With...nothing of actual substance in any of your comments. What's up with that?

Oregonaut - Recheck your Conquest Standings today. Conquest tallies are every Sunday, so it's possible that Bastok controls a bit more today.

On Bahamut they have been number one for weeks. Way to go, ToAU for keeping Sandy in last!

Comment

Working...
                      X