Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember the Comedy in FFXI? Where'd it go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remember the Comedy in FFXI? Where'd it go?

yea the game has gotten a lot easier. i really hope it doesnt keep changing and it goes the way of swg.

remember when getting your magicked skull was omgwtfyahoo!!

for all you og ninjas out there
    remember when utsusemi ni was 30k?
    shihei was 4k?
    and kote was 200k?!
    Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
    ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Dawg, I leveled NIN a bit and Ni was 200k. I was like "Oh, EFF THIS!"

Emp Hairpin for 600k was a LOT, and Leaping Lizzy was the most heavily camped mob I'd ever see.

Forget about NAs claiming Simurgh.

Oh, and the bots that constantly tabbed around so it looked like they were on seizures.

And who can forget the time when the Brady Games Guide had all the answers.

And who can remember the EXACT moment when you realized it was trash. . .
      The Tao of Ren
      FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
      Originally posted by Kaeko
      As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Well, price wise things are still kind of equivalent. Save for NPC purchases, but those only count for the first 20 levels or so.

I do remember a friend of mine and I pooling our gil to buy a Longsword from an NPC vendor. ><; We thought 1000g was so much money.

Comment

I have to admit, I do miss the trains even though they could be a pain in the rear.

Zoning into Crawler's Nest only to get ganked by 30 crawlers, 4 beetles, 2 shrooms and a scorpion... finally, after mulitple high level deaths, corpses spread for as far as the eye can see, and most of the zone outside the entrace, callling in a GM to clean up the mess.

Man... those where the days....

Zone patrols are a thing of the past now... kind of makes me sad.
          The last remaining evil white mage on Ramuh.
          Killing tanks since 2004

Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey
          "I can picture in my mind a world without war,
          a world without hate.
          And I can picture us attacking that world,
          because they'd never expect it."

Comment

I don't miss having to just wait around for hours while idiots train things to the zone in Garlaige and CN. At all.

I mean, yeah, boo hoo, times have changed and all that, but that's a change for the better, I think.

Comment

I never had the patience to wait for hours for trains to clear. If it happened we would go to an alternative xp spot. Then, again, I'm a desert child and never went to Garlaige Citadel until I went through with my second job.
              The last remaining evil white mage on Ramuh.
              Killing tanks since 2004

Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey
              "I can picture in my mind a world without war,
              a world without hate.
              And I can picture us attacking that world,
              because they'd never expect it."

Comment

Even now I try and avoid Garlaige and CN if at all possible. Usually it works out, but sometimes you have to go where the other people want to go. And that's when I'm glad that I don't have to deal with party stopping trains.

Comment

It's funny how this game mirrors life at times. Being old and an oldie in FFXI, I see the similarities quite often. Like this thread, here you have people who remember "back in the day" when things were different and to them more interesting. But alas times have changed an its no longer like that but yet the nostalgia of it stands in our memories. Now you know what its like to be old people! LOL So next time Mom or Dad or Grandma or Grandpa sit back and say "I remember when...." you can understand where they are coming from!
                  Originally posted by Feba
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  Originally posted by DakAttack
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
                    I don't miss having to just wait around for hours while idiots train things to the zone in Garlaige and CN. At all.

I mean, yeah, boo hoo, times have changed and all that, but that's a change for the better, I think.
                    Well, true it could be annoying sometimes but I always laughed when my screen finished loading and I couldn't find my dead body beneath the crowd of crawlers.

In some ways, it was a change for the better, in others it wasn't. There's very little challenge in the game now thanks to disappearing mobs. Helping people doesn't give the same satisfaction it used to because they either have enough level 75 friends to do the work for them or you just watch them run by to the zoneline and know it'll despawn without your help.

I'll just chalk it up to a case of agreeing to disagree.

Comment

I don't think dying to someone else's train could be chalked up as a "challenge". Avoiding someone's train at the zone isn't skill based, but rather just based on getting lucky and having no trains at the entrance.

And yeah, having people run you through challenges with their level 75 characters isn't very fun or challenging, but on the other hand we still have things like COP Missions which (for the most part) don't allow that.

I think it's a good mix.

Comment

Things I miss:

Fuidama and the All-Powerful Thieves.

Logging in and being called to the Boyahda Tree only to see my entire LS alliance dead from attempting Agas for Sleepga II and getting massive aggro.

Penta-spam Samurais.

Ancient Magic magic bursts (ok, I lie, I don't miss this at all )

Desperately racing for level 40 to make the cut for the Rise of the Zilart expansion activation in beta.

Sea Horror rampages on the Selbina-Mhaura Ferry.

My first battle against the Shadow Lord.

Icemage

Comment

Or when Shadow Lord was hard. I solo him with ease now

And Al, granted, it may not have been fun at the moment, but reminiscing is still enjoyable. If you don't share the same feelings, then you don't have to post.

I remember getting Chocobo access and realizing how much FASTER I could get places.

Then I got tired of running back and forth from city to city to city, so I soloed Rank 5 at like 34.

Then when I got Airship access, I thought I was tough shit.

Then at 70, Airships were too slow, so I did all the Outposts >.>

Heck, subbing WHM so I can Tel-Mea, OP to Bastok, change sub and OP anywhere else is still too long for my tastes ;.;

When did a game that was designed to last forever become a "Do-This-As-Fast-As-Possible" game. . .
                          The Tao of Ren
                          FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                          Originally posted by Kaeko
                          As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by WishMaster3K
                            When did a game that was designed to last forever become a "Do-This-As-Fast-As-Possible" game. . .
                            I think your question answers itself.
                            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
                              Fuidama and the All-Powerful Thieves.
                              You mean yokodama?

Anyways, what I missed:

When serket's aoe effected everyone in garliage. SE sure changed that one quickly.

When gil sellers were low lvl and weren't able to camp triggers ; ;

Pasco of ragnarok. Yea, he sells gils, but he was ALWAYS at jeuno giving cheap teleports. Now you can shout for a 10k tele vhaz and come back with no response.

Comment

Oops yokodama, this is what happens when I try to remember things from 3 years back (then again, most players have no idea what either one is, since the yokodama nerf occurred in late summer of '03 before during the NA beta )

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                                X