Why would you want to be /anon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would you want to be /anon?

I'm just curious to hear the reasons players do this. I was helping my party leader fill the last spot the other day, and someone who had their flag up was anon. It just seemed a little weird. I guess the general idea was so that someone would have to send a /tell, and they would be able to discuss various matters before joining? But surely, some people would not go to all that, and would perhaps be less likely to invite an anon player.

Even in non-party situations, there are a multitude of players who go anon. Is this just because the don't like being checked? I'm not trying to bash the idea or anything, i'm just interested in why it's done.

Re: Why would you want to be /anon?

I don't know.

I don't really ever go anon, cept when I'm seeking on one job, but switch to another job to do something like teleport or warp. I'll anon till I get where I'm going then switch back and take anon status off.
    sigpic

Comment

not sure about others... but anytime I am WHM or /WHM I go anon, so I dont get 50 /tells saying "raise me please" or "can I get a raise"

then sometimes I go anon so others I am NM camping with cant really see what they are up againsted

when I seek party sometimes I forget to turn anon off...and I seek for about 30 mins like that before someone tell me, "you know you are seeking anon" and I take it off and slap myself :p
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

If people are seeking and anon, I don't invite them if I'm the party leader, unless their job is in their search comment and it's a job I need. I go anon when I'm my whm to stop being invited to party, I'm just to lazy to tell ppl inviting me Sorry but I'm busy.

Comment

Yeah, i thought WHM would be one of the reasons, and can see why you would want to for that reason.

Comment

WHM : /anon almost 24/7 after you hit level 36 or higher. I get tells constantly asking for Raise, Teleport, PLs, help with AF, missions, you name it, it gets asked for.

BRD: /anon most of the time. I can't log onto my 75 bard these days without people bombarding me with requests to go XP/merit. Oy vey.

Amusingly enough, I got a /tell asking me for a Teleport-Altep (level 38 WHM spell) while I was temporarily switching jobs as a BLM56/WHM28... maybe I should start going /anon while on BLM too.

Icemage

Comment

BLMs and WHMs for tele, raise, D2 requests.
              Bards and Tanks for 'PT PLZZZZZZZ' demands.

Also, if someone's shouting for a tele, and not seeking for a party, they sometimes put up flags. I've seen quite a few people have flags up whilst seeking a tele not a party.
              Oyoyu
              TaruTaru
              Windurst Rank 6
              Midgardsormr

BLM:32/WHM:66/DRG:52/PLD:54/MNK:12/WAR:27/BRD:34
              SMN:33/BST:9/RDM:8/THF:32/RNG:19/DRK:15/SAM: 27/NIN:19/BLU5/PUP10/COR5

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea
                not sure about others... but anytime I am WHM or /WHM I go anon, so I dont get 50 /tells saying "raise me please" or "can I get a raise"

then sometimes I go anon so others I am NM camping with cant really see what they are up againsted

when I seek party sometimes I forget to turn anon off...and I seek for about 30 mins like that before someone tell me, "you know you are seeking anon" and I take it off and slap myself :p
                I do this alot to...
                Originally posted by Ellipses
                Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                Originally posted by MCLV
                A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                More Sig:

Comment

I never put anon up.

I guess people use it for privacy though.

Comment

If I'm seeking while crafting in one of the starter cities, I wait until I get a firm verbal invite, then switch to /anon while I warp back to Jeuno and choco to wherever I need to be. Not that I expect to get a deluge of invites during that short time (although I'm about to ding 41 RDM) but I'd rather not disappoint someone who has every right to think I'm available if they see me un-anon in Jeuno with my flag up.

Comment

before rng nerf, when i was farming i would have to go /anon. i have a mule that,s lvl 31 pld and if i log on without /anon i get a party invite before i reach the ah. i really hate turning people down, kind of makes me feel bad, because in those situations without my pld they probaly wont get to exp.

Comment

I go /anon when I don't want random invites. It doesn't matter if I'm on DRG or SMN and not seeking.. and it doesn't matter if I'm already in a party..the /tells come "Party? Do you need it?". When I'm on low level jobs, I'll stay /anon for the same reason, even with search comment saying I'm solo or not interested, sometimes the invites come.
                        DRG 75 / SMN 75

Cooking: 93.7

Comment

Most of the time I don't have the time or the inclination to party, so I keep anon on. I don't like declining invites, and I'd rather not be remembered than be remembered as that stupid rdm that kept me from partying three nights in a row because he never accepts an invite.

If I do actually want a party, I find that turning anon off on my rdm is pretty much the same thing as putting a flag up with any of my other jobs.
                          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage
                            Most of the time I don't have the time or the inclination to party, so I keep anon on. I don't like declining invites, and I'd rather not be remembered than be remembered as that stupid rdm that kept me from partying three nights in a row because he never accepts an invite.

If I do actually want a party, I find that turning anon off on my rdm is pretty much the same thing as putting a flag up with any of my other jobs.
                            As much as I bitch about how pestered WHM are, I'm with task on this one. Especially when you start entering the HNM/Sky/Whatever and people seem to go out of thier way to remember if you pissed them off or annoyed them, its better to have no reputation than to have a bad one.

Comment

I'll through my hat in the concur pile as well. Same issue on 57 RDM even if I'm just on it for 30 seconds to send something to a mule or whatnot, /anon off = seek up. Heck, I seem to get more invites when I'm not seeking on rdm then when I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X