Is Final Fantasy XI worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Final Fantasy XI worth it?

I'm a big Final Fantasy fan but I've never played a MMORPG before. To be honest, having to listen to my officemate talk ALL day long about her armor and stupid clan drama in World of Warcraft has put a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not the type of person to devote my life to a video game as my coworker has and I'm certainly not going to put up with any of the BS drama that she talks about all day.

So I guess my question is: is Final Fantasy XI worth the investment? Here are my concerns:

Final Fantasy XI has been around for some time now, is it in danger of being replaced? Are people going to be playing it for over a year from now?

Will most people ignore me because I'm a "newbie"? Sure I haven't been playing as long as you and there are a lot of things I don't know, but I'm not going to want to be treated like some retard. I mean, its a game meant to have fun, get over your inferiority complex already!

Do people playing this game take it seriously? Obviously I don't want to play with a bunch of screw-arounds, but I don't want to play with people who are insanely serious about this game to the point where they are anal about everything.

Is the game play really all that much fun? Or am I just going to be wandering around beating up things with no real purpose?

I'm kind of at a low point right when it comes to games. There hasn't been anything thats come out recently thats really sparked my interests. So I'm looking for something new to try and pass time before PS3 and Wii come out.

Thanks for your time!

Brian

Re: Is Final Fantasy XI worth it?

So I guess my question is: is Final Fantasy XI worth the investment? Here are my concerns:

Overall, if you have the time to invest in it, FFXI is definitely worth it.

Final Fantasy XI has been around for some time now, is it in danger of being replaced? Are people going to be playing it for over a year from now?

Yes, people will be playing it a year, or two years from now. There's a ton of stuff to do

Will most people ignore me because I'm a "newbie"? Sure I haven't been playing as long as you and there are a lot of things I don't know, but I'm not going to want to be treated like some retard. I mean, its a game meant to have fun, get over your inferiority complex already!

There's people who will treat you like a noobie in every game you play....it just depends. It's like IRL, there's going to be people you absolutely adore, and people who are just pricks for no apparent reason.

Do people playing this game take it seriously? Obviously I don't want to play with a bunch of screw-arounds, but I don't want to play with people who are insanely serious about this game to the point where they are anal about everything.

Same as the last answer.

Is the game play really all that much fun? Or am I just going to be wandering around beating up things with no real purpose?

The level grind sucks. For the most part, you will be going around beating the crap out of things in order to level up. Most of the action is end-game. A lot of the drama is end-game too. But there's a LOT of stuff you can do in between that really takes the edge off of the grind.

I'm kind of at a low point right when it comes to games. There hasn't been anything thats come out recently thats really sparked my interests. So I'm looking for something new to try and pass time before PS3 and Wii come out.

Certain things in this game WILL spark your interests. Some you'll hate. It depends how focused you are on reaching your goals. WoW is more of an instant gratification game. My brother has the ability to level a job to 60 in three weeks on WoW. He's also gotten a lot of Epic gear. In Final Fantasy, you will work LONG and HARD for what you want. I've spent a year or so now on Clothcraft, and it's only 73.1. Also, I don't have my Apron for it either. Which I need to start working on. >_< Basically, FFXI is rewarding, but in a different way.
    Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
    90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

First thing to state is that every MMORPG is different the EQ community vs Lineage vs Lineage II vs EQ2 vs Anarchy Online vs WoW vs FFXI are all different.

Now the community that has developed in FFXI is more or less of a helping nature, you'll often find people advertising for LS for newbies were it's goal mostly is new players working to help eachother.

Now the thing about most MMORPGs is they are long games (it's a world constantly progressing weather you are there or not) with quests and tasks that can take hours to complete just 1 of them.

FFXI MMORPG has more members then many of the first MMORPGs in-fact the top 5 RPGs are Lineage, Lineage II, FFXI, Wow, and (I forgot the last one, might of been EQ2). With that said many of the older RPGs such as Everquest still have thriving communities even though the quantity of players is less.

Unlike many of the other MMORPGs like for example Everquest and WoW, FFXI actually has a good intro design that not only sets you off to good tasks from start but train you in the games operation too as it progresses it's story. Now at start much of the tasks it has you do are kind of meager but once you get around lv. 30 and mission ranks of like 3-4 and up the real beauty of this game starts presenting itself.

The lets you choose what you want to do, if you want to sit and fish all day to raise a skill or make moeny whatever it's your choice. If you do a MMORPG one of the first things after learning some controls and all to help you would be to get into a Linkshell, that'll help you understand the game more.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

I believe people will still be playing a year from now. The game has so much to offer, you can set your own goals if you'd like or follow the game's story. This game is too unique to be replaced.

As long as you don't go around asking for gil(the game's currency) or for a PL, you should be fine. I was invited to a linkshell(A clan/guild) that is small, but the leader has been playing for 5 years. He has helped me understand the game and always gives a helping hand if im in need.

Not too serious, and not WoW style screw-arounds. They can be funny, but in parties it is usually pretty serious.

I think the battle is fun, and you actually have to pay attention. The subjob system is extremely unique, making the game a lot more interesting.
        FF Tribute - Chocobo Mix

Hililen
        of the Diabolos server. Current residence:San d'Oria
        40 MNK 22 WAR 15 BLM 13 WHM

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod4154

Not too serious, and not WoW style screw-arounds. They can be funny, but in parties it is usually pretty serious.
          /me puts on a Paladin costume and pepares to make a joke.

"LLEEEEERRRRROOOOYYYYYYYY JJJJEEEENNNKKKIIIINNNSSSSSS"

/me removes costume.

You won't run into that on FFXI or at least hasn't happened yet that I'm aware of.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by Macht
            You won't run into that on FFXI or at least hasn't happened yet that I'm aware of.
            Been to Dynamis yet?
            Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
            90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodin
              Been to Dynamis yet?
              Ehh, that Dynamis it's nuts there either way if you got a squirlly PLD or not...

Comment

Originally posted by <<Locke>>
                I don't know why people think MMORPGs just dry up when a new one is out. WoW has come, EQ2 as well. We're still here. Its a nomadic genre for some, but FFXI has a strong following and will likely be around until it stops being profitable for SE. Currently, it is still very profitable for SE and there's nothing to be concerned about.

This isn't like some console game you play for five hours and never touch again, really, it takes lots of time to do stuff and there's always new content around the corner from SE.

There are plenty of linkshells that will accept new players. Plenty of people are willing to help others out, too. Its true we do have a group of players immensely stuck on themselves and look down on new players. I had a high level Paladin last night that was supposed to be helping with the Genkai 2 quest, but left me and another player who needed it high and dry because he was "only helping his friend." You'll get an ass about ever other week. I had done this before on another character, it was uncalled for and, well, I'll keep him in mind when my high level Bard is looking for EXP/Merit PTs, lol

You'll have to find the people you feel compatible with, you're gonna find people who screw around because they're established in the endgame, screw around because they just don't care, people who take the game far too serious like your equipment and subjob is a life or death choice - all kinds of fruits for all baskets.

Its what you make of it, read these forums, check out the POL site, play the free month trial and see if it grows on you. A lot of people just play the game to EXP while other people try to play it solely for story, both approaches pretty much fail if you don't check out the real variety the game has to offer. Quests, Missions, Crafting, BCNMs, ENMs, Besieged, Assault, Garrisons, exploring, NM camping, HNMs, gods - lots to do, lots to see. its all a matter of how you pace it out.

Comment

everquest the first one not the second one has been out for 8 years and is still going decently strong they just came out with a new patch for that game to so FFXI will definalty be out for years and years to come

Comment

*sits in a corner and chants*

This game is gonna be here for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

<-<;

Ok thats done...Uhh yea. This game is pretty awesome IMO. Try out the free month thing and if it doesn't grow on you, just cancel it.

Comment

Well I gave in to peer pressure. I bought it... now I just have to find 8GB of storage on my tiny laptop harddrive.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by <<Locke>>
                        Well I gave in to peer pressure. I bought it... now I just have to find 8GB of storage on my tiny laptop harddrive.

Thanks for the info!
                        Heh. You didn't require much convincing.

If you have any questions at all, just give us all a shout! Many common questions have been answered time and time again (the search function in the upper right hand corner is very handy), but don't be afraid to ask a question if you can't find the answer on your own. We love to talk about this game, so you're bound to get at least half a dozen folks writing a thesis on the benefits of this gear over that or one job over another.

Welcome to FFXI!

Comment

Glad to hear you decided to give it a try, it really is a great game. Welcome hope you enjoy!!!
                          I fire up the grill.

Lighter fluid, lighter fluid, lighter fluid.

[GM]Dave>> FIRAGA III!!!

I pretend not to notice Susan shaking her head as I throw the match

Originally posted by Mog
                          holy shit, apparently crazy is contageous. I turned his brain into the mind of a bulldog! nOO!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
                            Heh. You didn't require much convincing.

If you have any questions at all, just give us all a shout! Many common questions have been answered time and time again (the search function in the upper right hand corner is very handy), but don't be afraid to ask a question if you can't find the answer on your own. We love to talk about this game, so you're bound to get at least half a dozen folks writing a thesis on the benefits of this gear over that or one job over another.

Welcome to FFXI!
                            Haha, well I think that was obvious when I posted the question in a FFXI forum. You all play it, of course you are going to give it favorable reviews. I've been wanting to check it out. Just needed that extra push! Now... just need to move 2 more GB of MP3s and I'll be ready to install... haha

Comment

Working...
                            X