Why I never give new people gil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why I never give new people gil.

It's been forever and a day since I've even *heard* of someone asking for gil on my server, but then again, I do play at some unusual times. But way back in the day, when I first started out, I had the benefit of prior experience with the game, so I knew how to make my gil when I finally got my own account. It was reletively easy, and I'm surprised these days when I hear about people begging for gil when there's an *overabundance* of information to be had in online websites and in just plain asking other players for advice.

If common sense really was common, everyone would have it...

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni
      Yah, that starting gil of 50 gil is just retarded. Maybe at one time, long ago, it was enough. But now with hyperinflation and even increases in AH fees, SE seriously needs to take better care of their new players.

Maybe a proposal is that with a new account and subsequent first content ID, a player will have a key item ticket which grants them 10 free auction listings. This will be limited to first time players only to keep this from being abused.
      I don't think that's really necessary. Every starting city has one or more quests that can be done at or before level 5, with nothing more than your starting gear, that give you a couple hundred gil - more than enough to list several stacks of crystals, goblin armor, yagudo necklaces, quadav backplates, etc.

Windurst: Mandragora Mad, Postman, Teacher's Helper, Crawler Calculi. If you get a silk, great; they're worth a bundle. Any of the other quests will give you plenty of money to list one.
      Bastok: Flint stones, Siren's Tear, Gourmet, Minesweeper. I've also heard Bastokans can reach rank 2 at really low levels, it carries a 1k gil reward in addition to longer lasting signets.
      San d'Oria: Flint stones, bat wings, rabbit hides, beetle shells, many running around quests. Once you can get the fame for the friar's rope quest and do it, you'll be set for quite a while if you manage your money carefully. (You may need to sell some fire crystals or something to afford the beeswax, I don't remember if you can easily farm your own beehive chips near Sandy.)

However, always check to see whether your items that you can turn in for a quest would be worth more if you just sold them instead. You might want to do the quest once for fame, but after that, take the gil.

Remember, a 1k item costs only 10 gil to list in a starting city (the AH fee increases only affected Jeuno/Safehold/Aht Urhgan), and once that sells you're pretty much set for listing fees for a while. You can get 10 gil from like three goblins, tops. And you can probably play your first day without buying anything - the starting gear you get for free will last you till level 5 or so easy. Just don't try to take on toughs like the people with HQ gear, subjobs and food are doing.

Is there a moneymaking guide for newbies on this site already? If not, there probably should be. All of the above plus how to use (and find!) the AH, where to get signet, maybe short sections on fishing and HELM for low levels, what you actually need to buy and where to buy it, etc.
      Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
      RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
      All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Good Idea

I would defently like to see that.

If fact it might even help some older players in the game too.

You may not be a Newb (Not Noob) anymore but any time you can learn some new tips I jump at them.

Originally posted by Karinya
        Is there a moneymaking guide for newbies on this site already? If not, there probably should be. All of the above plus how to use (and find!) the AH, where to get signet, maybe short sections on fishing and HELM for low levels, what you actually need to buy and where to buy it, etc.

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Bastok: Flint stones, Siren's Tear, Gourmet, Minesweeper. I've also heard Bastokans can reach rank 2 at really low levels, it carries a 1k gil reward in addition to longer lasting signets.
          The bastok misson 1-3 can be done at a low level but that involves buying the quest items from the ah, you need 4 of them and they sell normally 1-3k each. You could farm them from the quadavs but unless you have a good early soloing job it's not easy as they tend to spawn together and link. I found it easier to farm bee chips and buy the pieces.

I was given 5k by a stranger when I started. It helped me a lot, I needed money for a worldpass and it funded all my early spells and I bought swords for my friends.

Comment

I've always wanted to try this. If a n00b asks me for money tell him I'll give him several 100k if he can farm me some items in saru. Ask him to get me some cornettes and silk thread. Then when he brings them to me tell him "go sell them, you just made yourself several 100k"

36 War/15 Mnk/22 Thf/62 Pld/Bst 75/Nin 33/Whm 36/Blm 19/Cor 7
            Full Af X2 • Rank 8 • Alchemy 65

Comment

Why, yes there is.
              EDIT: This is the only one I could find.
              Last edited by Caspian; 06-07-2006, 06:23 PM.
              I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Gil Given Again

I started in a new Server Caitsith to get a fresh new start last night. Then some guy just came up to me and gave me 35k.

I finished got to lv 5. Then bought the Magical Maps for the area. Then I finished the Zinc Quest cause I got some Zinc Drops.

Then I used the money to buy some Pickaxes and Fire Crystals (I know I should of probley farmed them myselfs) And went mining trying to raise my Smithing and Goldsmithing. At same time did Mission 1-1 and a ldelevaed a letter to a Zelman as part of a quest.

Now the old me would of probley already wasted that money by now, but I'm useing it to make more money selling the ore I can't use at the moment.

I didn't ask for the gil, but should of I have turned him down when he gave it to me?

Comment

You can get to level 10 naked and using a level 1 weapon as a melee. Quite easily too.

The key?
                  Kill EP's only.

Not only you'll get to level 10, you'll get a lot of drops too because you gotta kill a lot more critters. Let's say you get 25xp per kill. 100 Beastmen will net you at least 1000 gil + stuff to AH. Ghelsba Outpost is a good newbie playground. Loot: Dark Crystals, Fire Crystals, Sleepshroom, and the occasional level 1 gear (in case you went in naked :D)

Comment

Re: Gil Given Again

Originally posted by Lucky and Elizabeth
                    I started in a new Server Caitsith to get a fresh new start last night. Then some guy just came up to me and gave me 35k.

I finished got to lv 5. Then bought the Magical Maps for the area. Then I finished the Zinc Quest cause I got some Zinc Drops.

Then I used the money to buy some Pickaxes and Fire Crystals (I know I should of probley farmed them myselfs) And went mining trying to raise my Smithing and Goldsmithing. At same time did Mission 1-1 and a ldelevaed a letter to a Zelman as part of a quest.

Now the old me would of probley already wasted that money by now, but I'm useing it to make more money selling the ore I can't use at the moment.

I didn't ask for the gil, but should of I have turned him down when he gave it to me?
                    No, hell no! There's a WORLD of difference between begging for gil and accepting a gift of it.

Look at the use you put it to. Instead of blowing it on crap, you invested it in yourself to make even MORE money. The generous fellow would surely be proud of you for that!

-sam
                    "And NO sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find... I shall kill you." -Stewie Griffin

My job levels and goals.

Comment

FFXI can be very intimidating starting out. I can understand people begging for money since there is no easy way to get the huge amounts of gil necessary to really enter and start understanding the economy. I can't tell how much I wasted just starting out and deciding that I wanted to try gardening, decorating my moghouse, getting a full set of harvesting equipment, leveling clothcrafting, buying a scroll of drain (I still wince at the 300k I dropped on that)... and all this before I had reached level 15 on my first job.

Money flows out of the newbie's hands. Best advice to anyone starting this game: hit the forums. There's a lot to learn.
                      Biggest Accomplishment: Level 20 avatar fights
                      Ifrit 1/1; Garuda 1/1; Shiva 1/1; Titan 1/1; Ramuh 1/2; Leviathan 1/3 (and record time for Garuda server)

Comment

Originally posted by Oogami
                        You can get to level 10 naked and using a level 1 weapon as a melee. Quite easily too.

The key?
                        Kill EP's only.
                        That's what I usually do because I don't feel like buying eq that I'll end up throwing away after I'm done with it. Although I do get updated weapons. I gimp my armor at low levels, but weapons do damage...

North Gustaberg bees ftw
                        And then East Sarutabaruta Crawlers later on

Comment

Totally unreleated as i don't play yet, but on the subject of "giving newbs money"...

When i played WoW, and beggars would approach with "give me gold plzthx" i'd just reply with:

all that beasts outside of town stole all my gold! If you go and get it back for me, i'd happily give you half my wealth!

And that was normally the last I'd hear from that particular beggar.

Comment

Non-humanoid mobs in FFXI do not drop gil though.

Keep every loot, and stack those stackable ones. Everything is worth something in the Auction House. (Grain seeds for 60k a dozen!)

Comment

An interesting conversation when I started this game last week, I indeed began with no money but seriously the crystals sell pretty well and I started in san doria. The rabbit hide quest give 120 gil for 3 hides and the flint stones 100 gil for 4 of them. It made me enough money to put some earth crystals in ah (1200 each stack) and then later on, I kept on going like that. Someone gave 100k and I never begged for it, I guess he saw that I was new and wanted to help me. Did I waste the money? Not at all of course I used it to get new equipment for my warrior like 30k worth of armor which is pretty normal for a lvl 20+ above War.

The most thing I do for money is fishing...frankly catching moat carps isn't that hard at all and each stack sells for 10k easily. It takes me around 15 min to 30 min to make a stack of moat carp and I sell them in sandy. The yew rod cost 238 gil and the little worms cost 2 gil each...15 min spent fishing in sandy=10 k. Making money it's not as hard as people think...you just have to work for it.

I joined a ls also which is pretty good and some of higher level likes to help (not financially) but give me advice on how to make money, where to hunt etc...I mean I didnt want to spend 10k for each gausebit grass for the chocobo quest...so one of my ls member teleported me to Konschat island and we walked up to dangruf wadi...and guess what? I killed those damn rabbits until I obtained all the 4 grasses that I needed and used my scroll of instant warp to go back into jeuno.

the thing is regular equipment isnt that expensive, but if you want the really good stuffs...just have to work on it. I started the game 1 week and half ago and I am doing pretty good.

Just to say...all noobs aren't retarded or opportunists...some of us are trying at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Awilo
                                the thing is regular equipment isnt that expensive, but if you want the really good stuffs...just have to work on it. I started the game 1 week and half ago and I am doing pretty good.
                                No, it really isn't, and a lot of it is actually really functional. In my opinion, learning how to shop for value is the most important thing. If you're comparing two pieces of armor, which differ in price by 500k, and the more expensive one would only give you, say, +2 DEX over the other... just buy the cheaper one. Save your gil for later on, and you will be able to afford the absolutely amazing equipment that is worth every bit of it's high price.

Just to say...all noobs aren't retarded or opportunists...some of us are trying at least.
                                Some would argue that you're not a noob, but a newbie or a new player. I think that's pointless semantics. You sound like a decent person, and that's what makes a really great player. ^^

Comment

Working...
                                X