This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does race matter

so i want to be a taru but would like to be a war or maybe monk does what race i pick determine if ill get picked in groups or be successful at the job i pick

Re: does race matter

Some would say yes, some would say no. In my experience race does make a difference if you're a tank, but melee not so much. I've seen Taru put out some crazy numbers.

Comment

no any race can do any job well, some say other wise, but if you get armor that will raise your weak points (MP gear for Galka) then you will do well with any race on any job.

Like for you a Taru WAR or MNK, then you need HP and attack also STR armor and food, and you will be fine
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

thanks for the help

Comment

Being a Tarutaru Warrior myself, I've found what most people like me have found, that race is not a boundary against being successful at your job. You'll have to work harder, though, to become a more skilled player, and to earn enough gil to buy the right equipment to make up for your race's natural shortcomings. As a Tarutaru Warrior, be sure to stock up on +Strength more than anything, as that, along with Vitality and Mind, are a Tarutaru's biggest flaws. Thankfully, Tarutarus have higher Dexterity and Agility, so you can give some leeway to your gear choices in order to make space for adding to your attack power.

Be sure to eat the right foods, as well, as they make a big difference. Like anybody, if you plan on equipping yourself with +STR and +ATK gear mainly, be sure to eat things like Sushi at higher levels, once it becomes a lot harder to land attacks successfully. On the other hand, if you gear up with +ACC and +DEX gear, be sure to eat Meat dishes and other foods that raise your STR and ATK power.

Being a Tarutaru Warrior is a helluva lot of fun, trust me. However, I'd only recommend it if you can live with the simple fact that you will forever be handicapped in the areas of damage and survival compared to other races more suitable for Warrior, like Elvaan or Galka.
          PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
          Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
          WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
          Currently Playing:
          FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

At lower level when there are not many gears to help you off-set the race specific weakness, it can be a little hard. Like a taru paladin, low HP and low VIT, you'll be 1 shot a lot... I know I got 1 shot a lot lol ; ;
            It gets better the higher you are when you gain access to many more gears.
            Or a galka mage. Before 30 you suffer the very low MP pool which will get a whole lot better once you gain access to race suite at level 30ish.

Once you get though into the high level zones it shouldn't matter anymore.
            There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
            but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
            transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

While race does have an effect (for example, a taru black mage endgame will pretty much just be slightly better then say, a mithra black mage assuming the same gear), it's certainly not enough to make someone go "oh, don't get that black mage, it's not a taru!". I mean, I generally don't even look at race when I'm searching for people, I just make sure that they 1) have an appropriate subjob, and 2) that it is completely levelled. I don't invite people with gimped or otherwise inappropriate subs.

Now, my one exception to this is for Galka mages. I really shy away from inviting galka mages until higher levels, they just don't have the MP pool it takes pre-20s unless they're geared up with MILLIONS of gil worth of items.

Level 14 Galka White Mage, Astral Rings: X, No Thanks.

Comment

i myself am not a elitest per-se.. but i have to have a good race/job combo for myself cause i dont like feeling gimp

for instance.. i have a hume who is a whm and a brd and a bst

my galka is very diversified he is a uber powerfull rng and a mnk and a war and a nin and drk and future pld when i get my hands on some astrals

and i also have a taru blm who will also be a future smn

oersonaly id never invite a galka whm or a taru warrior or a mithra brd.. unless it was my last ditch resort and no one else was available

and alot of other ppl are the same..

i mean sure u come here post on the forum "oh race dont matter" but you know in game when someones like "yo elv rdm lfg pick him up" your the one saying "screw that i got a taru blm OTW"

Comment

Well, I disagree with Atma. Granted, choices for any kind of tank are not limited to just two jobs in early levels (PLD, NIN) but even a Taru MNK can tank better than a Taru WAR only because of the amount of HP. At such low levels, having uber amounts of VIT does little to lessen the impact from taking damage from moves like Screwdriver.

I should know. This JP Taru WAR was equipped very well, but when we fought pugils, he got one-shotted about 6 times in that hour and a half. Needless to say, he HP'd a lot, but at least he had humor enough (I remember another player commented that it must've been difficult being a Taru WAR and the WAR responded like, "umu" and "shiku shiku." LOL

Comment

To be quite honest, I think taru's make the best WARs. Not statistically, but it's always funny to see a taru macro in "/panic motion" right before he does rampage.

Race doesn't matter endgame. In the beginning, certain things can be hard. But the higher your level, the less race matters at all. Get used to XPing though. At 75, you'll want to merit, and do it big. STR++++++++, HP+, and Double Attack+ will be your friends.
                    Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
                    90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

you can actually see /panic motion while in battle mode?
                      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

yea its funny.. i do alot of /horray motion when im casting spells as blm and ppl ask me alot "how do you cast with your wand like that" and i laugh onthe inside

Comment

Nope, this was a friend of mine.
                          his macro was like

/panic
                          /wait 3
                          /attack <t>
                          /wait 1
                          /ws "Rampage" <t>

He did this when we used to farm spider webs together. He'd just sit there /panic, engage, then WS. It was funny as hell.
                          Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
                          90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

Originally posted by Jei
                            you can actually see /panic motion while in battle mode?
                            It gets cut off abruptly when spell casting. There was this hume I PT'd with once, who had EVERY SINGLE macro completed with emotes. The emotes would start up as the player casted a spell, but certain spells like Cures and Dia would cut off the animation crudely (Like /clap, /stagger, /point, etc.)

Comment

Hm, it's all subjective. If you want a challenge, become a taru monk. You'll be more reliant on gear that's suited toward monk, but if you do your job right, people will learn to respect you and you can put shame to some elvaans who are also monks.
                              ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X