This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on FFXI on after a week of playing

These are my thoughts of FFXI after a week of playing.

+ PLUS

The scenery
    , FFXI looks _GOOD_ and after following the reg-hax guide, it's way better in eye-candy that I could ever imagine!

Changeable jobs, First I was rather suspicious about them wanting extra dollars for every extra character, but then I understood their idea of this, as one character can be anything, and switch at will. Really this is one of the best ideas I've seen in awhile! Get bored to current, switch to different job and the game is totally different!

Cuteness and Catgirls - NEED I SAY MORE? One can never have too many catgirls.

- MINUS

Interface,Well, the ui-layout is decent, but I would've liked to drag them around ;_; I need to gaze around alot on a 21" monitor.

Movement, Now WTF was the guy who designed this thing high on?! Keyboard + Mouse is soo hard to use at first ._. Then I switched to the compact layout and it helped quite abit, but still, "I target a mob, and want to drag the camera, BUT LEFT CLICKING UNTARGETS" Also the whole "menu popping from middle mouse button" is rather duh also.

Which FF Character Are You?

Re: Thoughts on FFXI on after a week of playing

when you start getting into crafting, multiple character is almost a must. It will safe you tons of times. S-E is smart, they scatter crafting resources all over the world.

interface and control, you can't really grade them without trying controller.
    Controller lets you do many things at once that can be a hassle trying to do with keyboard/mouse.
    Because there are different keys assign to menu, movement and camera seperately so you can do them all at once
    ie: run around while checking items while rotating camera while typing.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Hint: Just use the keyboard, not the mouse.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Comment

Originally posted by Jei
        when you start getting into crafting, multiple character is almost a must. It will safe you tons of times. S-E is smart, they scatter crafting resources all over the world.

interface and control, you can't really grade them without trying controller.
        Controller lets you do many things at once that can be a hassle trying to do with keyboard/mouse.
        Because there are different keys assign to menu, movement and camera seperately so you can do them all at once
        ie: run around while checking items while rotating camera while typing.
        Well, I'll pay when I get to the crafting craze

Mmm-m, maybe I should chip in for xbox 360 controller.

Comment

:O you play on xbox 360? that thing didn't come with controller? o.O

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Omecle
            Hint: Just use the keyboard, not the mouse.
            Butbutbut, It feels so 1991

Originally posted by Jei
            :O you play on xbox 360? that thing didn't come with controller? o.O
            No, I play with PC, but if I have to get a controller, I'll get one from xbox360.

Comment

Don't worry about a controller. I use the numberpad for most of my gaming. and I NEVER use the mouse for anything. I hate the mouse and find that it just takes longer anyway since everything can be done from the keyboard.

NUMPAD KEYS :
              2, 4, 6, 8 = Movement
              / = Walk-Run Toggle
              * = Autolock target
              - = Menu
              3, 9 = Zoom in/out
              0 = Switch target [same as Tab]

Now, when you're locked onto a target, u can still move the camera. Camera movement is controlled using the normal Arrow keys. When you're locked onto something, hold shift and use the arrow keys. Becomes second nature after awhile, just like any toher PC Game controls.

Comment

Originally posted by PotentPotables
                Don't worry about a controller. I use the numberpad for most of my gaming. and I NEVER use the mouse for anything. I hate the mouse and find that it just takes longer anyway since everything can be done from the keyboard.
                Well, having used mouse+keyboard since doom1 days pretty much, it isn't very easy to get comfortable with using such inaccurate means of moving the view.

But alas, I suppose this call some testing around to find the best way suited for me.

Comment

You will get used to controller or keyboard only, dont use the mouse, my guess is they made it suck so bad just to force you to buy a controller, or play with keyboard.

Controlling FFXI is just like controlling.. say.. lara croft in tomb raider, the controls are very similar, move with left analog stick, shift camera with right analog stick, its so sexy but at the same time so taken for granted, i am SICK of point and click, mouses have no place in gaming as far as quick action is concerned.
                  signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

I now have problem playing PC games that doesn't use controller.... I recently played fable and kotr 2 and i soooooo wanted to use my controller -.-

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree
                      i am SICK of point and click, mouses have no place in gaming as far as quick action is concerned.
                      Well I use the mouse for camera movement and inventory, status etc browsing.

And mouses do have place in gaming, even In quick action things, ever tried to play FPS or RTS games without it? (and not SUCK?)

Double Post Edited:
                      Originally posted by Jei
                      I now have problem playing PC games that doesn't use controller.... I recently played fable and kotr 2 and i soooooo wanted to use my controller -.-
                      Uh huh.

I've played both of them and never even thought about controller. It probably would have only made it more difficult.

Expecially kotor.
                      Last edited by kvant; 02-22-2006, 02:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The 'no mouse required' interface is primarily from the fact that FFXI can be on consoles and PC without much problems. You could be on XBOX360 or Ps2 w/o a keyboard and manage so-so.

The controller is a god send.

I know how you must feel from not using a mouse but once you lift yourself from the shackles and invest in a good controller (<-- suggests Logitech PS2 Wireless Cont w/ USB Ps2 Cont adapter) you can watch tv, sit back, and play.

Plus, no more menu accruacy problems like "I clicked on the wrong thing" when the cont's accuracy is amazing. You'd be surprised how fast you can access menus with a cont.

Controller = +10 FFXI fun

Comment

yea. I used to look down on controller myself. Played FFXI with keyboard for almost a year.
                          It's just an idea I developed after years of EQ+DAoC hehe that keyboard makes me type fast and online game is all about communicating.
                          Also the whole concept about rotating view with mouse.

Then, year later I gave controller a try, and I never look back xD

FFXI has really spoiled me. I'm addicted to controller now.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Geto
                            I know how you must feel from not using a mouse but once you lift yourself from the shackles and invest in a good controller (<-- suggests Logitech PS2 Wireless Cont w/ USB Ps2 Cont adapter) you can watch tv, sit back, and play.
                            I actually have four or five ps2 controller lying around (welding my ps2 didn't go so well ) I might try with adapter first.

Need to find shop that sells one near by though.

*edit*

Will end up costing around 25€ Not that bad.
                            Last edited by kvant; 02-22-2006, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Oops i forgot fps games.. but you know what, fps have no place in gaming, so they dont count :D

^^
                              signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Working...
                              X