This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on FFXI on after a week of playing

^i have a bad habit of not reading whole threads when its been longer than a page when i firstt read it. Anyways i had to comment on it being the big fps gammer i am.

Comment

I personaly played my first 6 months of FFXI on keyboard only. The instruction book only talked about keyboard controls and I did not even realise the mouse worked in game till month 3. I have a keyboard with arrow keys on both sides of the letters, so instead of squishing my two hands together on the right side of the keyboard, I had my right hand on the num-pad and my left hand on the left arrow key set. When I chated I would hit auto-run and type.

I learned how to type very fast because of FFXI, at least untill I got into my current LS that uses Venterlo/TeamSpeek. Now I find it strange that I have to type out stuff when I get in low level xp pts lol.

Around 6 months after I started playing I found a topic on these fourms about a PS2 to USB converter. I have a PS2 allready so I can play the non-MMO Final Fantasy games, and playing a MMO with a controler while at a PC made me think of the .hack series that I was into at the time.

Played one day with the controler and I have never looked back. ^^

About your first post:
      THANK YOU for realising that the Cut Scenes and the ability to max out EVERY JOB on one character is what this game has over any other one on the market (well Matrix Online lets you change jobs and have pre-rendered Cut Scenes, so that's as close as you'll get).

Anyway, enjoy your time in Vana'diel. C.E. 1000 is right around the bend.

No Ifs Ands or Buts about it.
      Rest of my sig

Comment

Get yourself a PS2 to USB adapter (they are cheap, like $5 or so) and hook up one of those PS2 controllers you say you have lying around. FFXI has a gamepad config utility with some presets if you don't feel like mapping your buttons manually but I personally play with my Dualshock2 set to the same settings as if I was playing on the PS2 since that is how I originally learned the game. About the only thing I need my keyboard for is inputing text and a few of the hotkeys from the compact setting that I prefer to use with a keystroke rather than the button on my controller (i.e. the L3 and R3 buttons... there is something about depressing the analog sticks that just doesn't seem right to me).

Edit: I forgot about fishing! I use the numpad on my keyboard for fishing.
        Jaraude • Midgardsormr • KoolAid Linkshell

Comment

Originally posted by kvant
          HOW DO I TURN THE CAM IN COMBAT >_<
          Unlock your camera from the target by pressing * over the numpad or typing /lockon into your window, then press shift and the arrow keys simultaneously (or just the mouse) to swing the camera about.
          Ho-hum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabeo
            Get yourself a PS2 to USB adapter (they are cheap, like $5 or so)
            Damn, I need to look around again. Cheapest I could find was 15€

Originally posted by Wind Adept
            Unlock your camera from the target by pressing * over the numpad or typing /lockon into your window, then press shift and the arrow keys simultaneously (or just the mouse) to swing the camera about.
            Ahh!

Harder than with mousie

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Any USB controller with 2 analogue and enough buttons will do :D
              There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
              but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
              transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I just bought an adapter from Radio Shack for my PS2 controller. 10bucks.

Comment

I bought a logetch dual action controll from best buy. Got it for only 30 bucks. It handles really well. The controller is very similar to the ps2 controller.
                  ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by bikkebakke
                    I just bought an adapter from Radio Shack for my PS2 controller. 10bucks.
                    Yep, that's the same one I use. I had a proublem with vibration on and FFXI crashing, but I turned it off and it works fine. I'm not sure if that's been fixed yet or not.

No Ifs Ands or Buts about it.
                    Rest of my sig

Comment

Vibration works fine for me.

Comment

also works on my PC. but it crashes my gf's PC.
                        There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                        but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                        transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I rather not use a mouse AT ALL, since you can play everything 1-handed, leaving you able to press macros or just eat a sandwitch.

I still use controller if I'm playing more then 1hr though. It's just easier to lay back and watch tv or something.

Oh and controller lets you walk, fight and type talk at the same time.

In the end never use the mouse!

Knowing people who use keyboard only, they're sick in how well they can move. A hint on power using it, is to target lock extensively.

target, lock, auto walk in expert mode is a sight to be seen if you stick with controller most of the time.

Comment

I cant lie I cant use a controller. Tried it didnt like it. The Keyboard Onry is GREAT to me.
                            You'd be amazed at how fast I can fly thru menus without thinking abotu it.
                            It's Official Promathia Hates me....
                            それは公式である,プロマシア は私を憎む。
                            Trielは博雅なる大召喚士
                            A Summoners Journey (The Live Journal) >>>> A Summoners Journey the Movie

BecomingThe Movie: The tale of the Journey of a Blue Mage

Comment

That's because you're a freak of nature, Triel >.>

Comment

a second ago, you were Rikku. Which one are you Bikki?

and like I said before, it's all about preference.
                                ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X