This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New avatar besides Diabolos?

SMNs trio'd Genbu and they're still not good enough? :\ Although I do agree, I would like to see SMN with more avatars and BPs. Diabolos was a very refreshing addition that I'd like to see again with another. As for the possiblities of the new avatars, well, having no such experience with SMNs I can't really give an opinion on that subject, although I can say that I'd be extremely excited (I'm not even a SMN XD) to see Alexander or Odin in-game, whether they were usable or not. They just so happen to be my favorites :D

*On a side note: Zantetsuken doesn't necessarily have to be an instant-death attack. In FFIX you could change Odin's Zantetsuken into a damage summon. I'd imagine Odin's 2hr would be very similar (a highly damaging Zantetsuken) if he ever were to become an avatar. Same goes for Alexander's Holy Judgement =o
    Last edited by Kailo; 01-30-2006, 09:34 AM.
    Kailo(Elvaan):[75DRK], [37THF], 37WAR, 37SAM, 37RDM, 37NIN
    Current Mission
    â—‹San d'Oria [M8-2] - Lightbringer
    â—‹Zilart [ZM14] - Ark Angels
    â—‹Promathia [PM4-2] - The Savage
    -----------------------------------------
    "Better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!" (°~°; )

Comment

I am pretty sure that a few weeks after the release of the expansion we will get news of the new avatar!

Comment

I'd prefer if Alexander got an earth-shattering Castle-Missile Move. But ok, High-Damage works fine. Maybe something like, a percentage of HP based on how much is left?

Like if the move was used at 100% hp, it would deal maybe 1-5%; and if the move was used at 5% health, it would deal 50% of the remaining health. . .

And on a side note, the SMN trio was entirely luck, because I've seen Diabolos do major damage on some enemies, and pitiful damage on most. But the fact that 3 SMNs can now do some dangerous shit 3 times every 2 hours is scary ._.
        The Tao of Ren
        FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
        Originally posted by Kaeko
        As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam-Atlantian
          Well if diablos is darkness and a second lv. of avatars wouldn't they add a new light avatar to equal out the elements. Something small like Madeen. It makes sense kinda. who knows.... all i know is i think the last avatar will be Alexander. And that is gonna be one hell of a quest.
          Dont forget that They can also add duality Avatars.

Alexander: Holy/Light
          Odin: Darkness/death
          Siren: Wind/Song
          Phoenix: Fire/white magic
          Etc.
          It's Official Promathia Hates me....
          それは公式である,プロマシア は私を憎む。
          Trielは博雅なる大召喚士
          A Summoners Journey (The Live Journal) >>>> A Summoners Journey the Movie

BecomingThe Movie: The tale of the Journey of a Blue Mage

Comment

But then again we end on the same question... will they add those avatars? IF SE reads and listens to the petitions of users, why dont they do something and fix the jobs or the isses thast players demand? I am sure many of us want phoenix, he is a traditional FF summon

Comment

Originally posted by Darkhound
              But then again we end on the same question... will they add those avatars? IF SE reads and listens to the petitions of users, why dont they do something and fix the jobs or the isses thast players demand? I am sure many of us want phoenix, he is a traditional FF summon
              I dig Summoner the way it is,

I dont have demands per say , Since I havent had the trouble with Summoner many NA players complain of.
              I want Merits to reduce bloodpacts
              Better looking Gear ^^ tired of Hobo gear
              Real explaination of Summoning Magic.

Otherwise I think Summoner is fine as it is.
              It's Official Promathia Hates me....
              それは公式である,プロマシア は私を憎む。
              Trielは博雅なる大召喚士
              A Summoners Journey (The Live Journal) >>>> A Summoners Journey the Movie

BecomingThe Movie: The tale of the Journey of a Blue Mage

Comment

I like all those ideas, but I'd also like to see Frost and Lightning Armors, Rolling Thunder, Crimson Howl, Hastega and Glittering Ruby improved in effectiveness and/or duration so that they actually become worthwhile to use. A buff that lasts 2 min or less is just a waste of BP timer unless its effects are really big, like Aerial Armor or Earthen Ward. (Both of which, ironically, actually have respectable durations, unlike the ones listed above.)

They seem to have gotten this right with Fenrir and Diabolos, but aren't willing to go back and fix enhancing BPs that were made too weak to start with. Adding new stuff is cool, but it is not a substitute for fixing old stuff that doesn't work right. The concepts behind all those abilities are good, it's just the actual cost-effectiveness that is lacking.

Enthunder for everybody - sounds like a great idea. Heck, it *is* a great idea. But Enthunder that does 0-2 damage for everybody and you have to spam it to the exclusion of all other BPs to keep it on - that's worthless crap. If it actually did the damage of a RDM's enspell and lasted 5 minutes, SMN would keep it on all the time. It would actually be useful and wanted.

Why 5 minutes, double the duration of spells like Refresh and Haste? Because it has *five times* the recast timer of those spells, AND its recast is shared with all other SMN-specific abilities. One more Rolling Thunder equals one less Lunar Cry, Tail Whip or Aerial Armor, even if you have plenty of MP. That's why SMN are so sensitive to recast/duration issues.

You have to ask yourself, if this is the only thing I do this minute other than cure, was it worth it? Is that a worthwhile use of a minute? And for some BPs the answer is simply, No, there is no enemy and no fight where that is a good use of a minute.

I wouldn't mind if these improvements were accompanied by increased MP cost; I hardly even notice the MP cost of most bloodpacts and I'm only SMN33. It's the timer that restricts my effectiveness and makes abilities like those just not worth it. Shortening the timer would be too sweeping a change and risk overpowering the attack BPs, so improve the abilities so they're actually worth it.
                Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

I agree, lets be honest guys, when was the last time we, summoners, dused rolling thunder, or when was the lat time you saw a summoner use it? Lets not settle for what is wrong, the summoner job DOES need to get some things frixed. I hate to see how BLM do ridiculous damage with their tier 4 spell... not even Astral Flow does that damage anymore! AF is supposed to be a powerfull ability and its not that wya any more!

I am not sure if the people at SE are working on this, but something needs to be done IMO...

any comments?

Comment

My only comment is that I think SE is handling people's complaints and requests in the right manner. It's very hard to follow through with SMN requests, or any job's, without making the game mechanics unbalanced. You see, Blizzard does this sort of thing with their WoW, and the balance issues in that game are unrivaled. You can't just give something to a job-type because they complain about it and expect things to be fair for the other players. As of now, I don't think "buffing up" any of the SMN's abilities (Even Astral Flow. Other jobs have much worse 2hrs, such as BRD) is the right thing to do. However, giving them more abilities to add versatility and freshness; that's always welcome, so long as it doesn't tip the scales.
                    Kailo(Elvaan):[75DRK], [37THF], 37WAR, 37SAM, 37RDM, 37NIN
                    Current Mission
                    â—‹San d'Oria [M8-2] - Lightbringer
                    â—‹Zilart [ZM14] - Ark Angels
                    â—‹Promathia [PM4-2] - The Savage
                    -----------------------------------------
                    "Better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!" (°~°; )

Comment

Well, it is clear that the game is unbalancec, you find hard to wind a certain battle, just get more blm....blm here blm here... heck, im even levelng blm myself now! That is wrong and that is a clear fact that the jobs are not balanced. In fact, me and some friends CLEARED dynamis Windurst with 50 something blmackamages, we literally defeated every single mob in windy!

Comment

Well, I certainly agree on the BLM issue. BCNMs (both loot and mission types?) Get more BLMs. HNMs? Almost all BLM bait. Dynamis? You'd better have 20% or more of your LS be BLMs. (Ironically, this is in some sense SE's vengeance on BLMs; while it's *really* easy for them to find a Dynamis LS, they're all packed with BLMs so competition for drops is intense.) Diabolos? Need 3+ BLMs (out of a party of 6!)

But I don't think it has much to do with new avatars, other than the probability that if there is one, BLMs will immediately start bragging about how easy it is while other parties wipe 10 times in a row without ever standing a chance. I wonder if anyone has manaburned Bahamut yet...
                        Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                        All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

If you want to see my stance with BLMs, you just need to read my customized title ... and no, I did not request that title O_o

Comment

I like BLM's, but it would be nice if there was a valid counterpart. All the DD's have to fight for a spot, but BLM and WHM pretty much have guarenteed spots. They have no competition.

Comment

I don't mind BLM being superior against some mobs, like elementals, ghosts, and even adamantoises. (Dynamis statues were a bad idea though, you need way too many BLMs relative to the total number of players; they're not just superior, attacking with anything else is totally counterproductive.) But where are the mobs that BLM are weak against? There's pots, and, uh... pots. Some would suggest eyes, but my Dynamis LS manaburns eyes all the time; only Angra Mainyu lives long enough to put up his shield. I don't think I really have to mention what the current thinking is on how to do better on DL next time.

MNK are strong against bones and pots, weak against elementals and slimes; DRG are weak against bones and elementals, but strong against bats, birds and flies. BLM are strong against almost everything and weak against almost nothing. If BLMs are scissors, the game needs more rocks, IMO. Not as some kind of karma (well, ok, PARTLY as some kind of karma), but as a way to make players think more about the tactics to beat different mobs and not just "kite it/blink tank it while we throw more BLMs at it".

Kite and nuke tactics have dominated for long enough. Let's see some monsters that demand a different approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya
                                I don't mind BLM being superior against some mobs, like elementals, ghosts, and even adamantoises. (Dynamis statues were a bad idea though, you need way too many BLMs relative to the total number of players; they're not just superior, attacking with anything else is totally counterproductive.) But where are the mobs that BLM are weak against? There's pots, and, uh... pots. Some would suggest eyes, but my Dynamis LS manaburns eyes all the time; only Angra Mainyu lives long enough to put up his shield. I don't think I really have to mention what the current thinking is on how to do better on DL next time.

MNK are strong against bones and pots, weak against elementals and slimes; DRG are weak against bones and elementals, but strong against bats, birds and flies. BLM are strong against almost everything and weak against almost nothing. If BLMs are scissors, the game needs more rocks, IMO. Not as some kind of karma (well, ok, PARTLY as some kind of karma), but as a way to make players think more about the tactics to beat different mobs and not just "kite it/blink tank it while we throw more BLMs at it".

Kite and nuke tactics have dominated for long enough. Let's see some monsters that demand a different approach.
                                Very well stated, I agree one hundred percent. We need some mobs that we can't just say "get more BLM's" to kill it.

Comment

Working...
                                X