X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes Vana'diel "Home" for you?

Hello all..

Wanted to share a bit of a revelation I just had while I was sitting here, checking out the information/images for the upcoming expansion...

I've played many MMORPGs (about 22 I can pick out of mmorpg.com's game list that I've at least tried, if not played for any amount of time) and most all of them have a similar "feel" to them. I don't mean graphics style, etc.. I mean just the "feel" of the gameplay itself. In most all cases, regardless of how great the game looks, or its setting, they all seemed to have a similar "feel" to them.

Gameplay-wise, most all seem to boil down to "kill a bunch of mobs". Quests often entail the same goal: "kill a bunch of mobs", even if it's not the goal of the quest itself. This is a complaint in most every other MMORPG I've ever played. The quests are shallow and repetitive at best.

This is not the case with FFXI in my experience (xp parties notwithstanding). It's the first MMORPG I've played where in order to achieve a goal, you actually want to *avoid* encounters as much as possible at times.. unless killing mobs is part of the quest itself.. to obtain a particular item, etc.

For example, each of the rank 1 missions for Windurst does not require killing mobs as part of the quest itself. Your goals are completely non-combat related. Go and retrieve a broken orb. Charge 6 orbs and then retrieve them. Send offerings to two Yagudos in Giddeus. Each of those could be completed without the need to kill mobs; except that they get in the way and need to be dispatched at times. Same with Mission 2-1 "Lost for Words"... That's a rather challenging mission for a low level character... getting into Shakhrami, getting past the goblins and wights and scorpions, to find a piece of stone and then getting back out safely again. Even later, sneaking into Castle Oztroja to talk to the Taru.. then having to get out again.. And on and on... In each of those, you only fight mobs when you *have* to. There are the quests that require you to kill mobs, they aren't the entirety of the quest content in FFXI.

Another point.. the quests have meaning beyond the task itself. There's a storyline developing as you complete many of them - not least of all the rank missions. But take the Star Onion Brigade quests... there's another separate thread developing there.. involving them, and Nanaa Mihgo and the Cardians, etc.. There's a point to everything you're doing. It's not just mindless "kill-and-collect". There's a sense of accomplishment and advancement in the rank missions. I don't know how it plays out in Bastok or Sandy, but as you complete missions in Windy, you go from speaking to gate guards, to a representative of the Star Sybl.. eventually on up to the Star Sybl herself.. before she sends you off to do tasks for Jeuno, on the behalf of your nation. The way it plays out, the cinematics, the discussion, etc.. everything is so well assembled to really make it feel like what your character is doing *matters*. And that, to me is rare in a MMORPG.

And that's the catch. I think those elements are what makes this game feel so different from any other MMORPG I've ever played and make it truly special among MMORPGs. It's also what makes the grind and the long waits for a party that much more tolerable. FFXI is truly about the journey... not the destination. There is no "final goal" to race toward (other than those the players themselves create). Not yet at least. A story is being told, and SE wants to really make it a challenge to experience it all. It's *not* just a "grind fest" - unless you make it one. It's designed and intended to be a lasting experience.

And, though I guess I've noticed it all along... it just dawned on me before I began typing this.. and even while I was typing it. That is the indescribable "something" this game has always had that made it feel so different and, yes, "special" to me. It's what's kept me coming back, despite how many times I've wanted to put it behind me.

That only speaks to the gameplay aspects.. Of course, there's always the people you meet and miss while you're away...

But anyway.. I just wanted to share that little personal revelation of mine with y'all.. Perhaps get some feedback on it.. share your own experiences or thoughts.. What makes Vana'diel the place you, perhaps, call your "home away from home" when there are so many other MMO's out there to choose from?

{Mithra} {Power} >>> {Impossible To Gauge!}

Re: What makes Vana'diel "Home" for you?

Stop being Emo.

Comment

Wow...

I bet you're the coolest person you know.

Such a biting, clever and utterly pointless reply - and in 3 words!

Let's see.. I don't know if I can match such concise wit as yours... But I'll give it a shot...

Troll elsewhere.

-roll eyes-
      Last edited by Lupine73; 01-12-2006, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Such a biting, clever and utterly pointless reply - and in 3 words!

Let's see.. I don't know if I can match such concise wit as yours... But I'll give it a shot...

Troll elsewhere.
        You forgot a word. Your logic fails.

Comment

Originally posted by (Takemuke)
          Stop being Emo.
          Those would be the three words he was referring to. He wasn't trying to respond to you in three words.
          I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Anyways - in reply to the thread - feeling the sunsets and sunrises in Vana'diel makes it different than other mmorgs to me. Ever fish down by the docks in Windy when the sun is coming up and hear the sea gulls come in? Or stand in the woods at Sandy and watch the fog lift? This is classic stuff.
            To die by the sword...hurts like hell!

Comment

Originally posted by Caspian
              Those would be the three words he was referring to. He wasn't trying to respond to you in three words.

haha! lookie lookie, its Stupid! ->

i personally like how battles are not so haphazard and trivial. in other mmo's it seems like you just just hack away, spam spells with no regard to your attack strength, cast time, hp/mp etc etc. in ffxi, everything is more deliberate. if you miss a mb or renkei, you might end up fighting the mob longer than expected. miss a spell in another mmo, eh, dont worry, just spam it again since theres little to no cool down!

i also like how missions are more story driven rather than killing a room full of monsters.
              Last edited by Omni-Ragnarok; 01-12-2006, 01:25 PM.
              Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
              ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

I would like to make a poem:

Flame Lamef Amefl Mefla Eflam Flame

/bows
                ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

My linkshell, Silent Line, makes Vana'diel home for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticks
                    Anyways - in reply to the thread - feeling the sunsets and sunrises in Vana'diel makes it different than other mmorgs to me. Ever fish down by the docks in Windy when the sun is coming up and hear the sea gulls come in? Or stand in the woods at Sandy and watch the fog lift? This is classic stuff.
                    Yeah.. I love the Ronfaure region. I wish they had that area outside Windurst. Love Ronfaure, hate Sandy... Okay... hate is a strong word. I'm not crazy about Sandy... I actually like Bastok even less though.

Hey.. Second Place isn't all bad! :-)

Seriously, though... Ronfaure was the first place in any MMORPG where I felt like I was in a misty, morning forest. SE captured it perfectly.

Then you go to Zi'tah and.. O.O.

Some of the COP areas (which I haven't had a chance to see "in person" yet) are amazing.. and the new expansion areas really look fantastic.

Soo much to see.

Comment

haha! lookie lookie, its Stupid! ->
                      10/10

Comment

the people i have met and meet make vanadiel nice for me. the strategies and stories a nice element to it (esspecially since i do enjoy roleplaying as well). Admitidly my first (and only) MMORPG, but i really like that FFXI has enough stuff to keep me intrested, the crafting, the questing, the missions, the xping, the different jobs, all keeps me from getting to board.....My one and only complaint is that sometimes...well if i did have other sources to go to there are just some quests i would never have ever even figured out cause no NPC talks about them /sigh, but still for me i have and continue to enjoy

And when you get to the Medows Lupine, or even the islands off bibiki bay, you may never want to leave again

RNG67 BRD66 THF55 NIN35 WHM31 RDM35 WAR24 PLD30

Comment

Originally posted by Lupine73
                          Yeah.. I love the Ronfaure region. I wish they had that area outside Windurst. Love Ronfaure, hate Sandy... Okay... hate is a strong word. I'm not crazy about Sandy... I actually like Bastok even less though.

Hey.. Second Place isn't all bad! :-)

Seriously, though... Ronfaure was the first place in any MMORPG where I felt like I was in a misty, morning forest. SE captured it perfectly.

Then you go to Zi'tah and.. O.O.

Some of the COP areas (which I haven't had a chance to see "in person" yet) are amazing.. and the new expansion areas really look fantastic.

Soo much to see.
                          I loooove Ronfaure. The music/scenery is beautiful. Saruta is ok, but the music gets annoying after awhile.
                          ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Yep. The missions, and to a lesser extent the quests, are what make FFXI stand out. That and the job system. Being able to, no, having to revert to level one at least once changes the game so much.

I feel that the story and the gameplay are too seperate though. It felt like "here, grind 270 hours so you can watch some cut scenes, then do it again, then again." In fact, everything felt a little too seperate, leveling, questing, loot. But here's not the place to complain. (Sorry.)

Art style and music is something I will truly miss about the game for as long as it takes Square-Enix to put out the next FF:Online game. It's a very comfortable mix of realism and anime-type exageration. The females are cute or pretty without being oversexed. Their armor is armor too, not adamantium bikinis. And I've got the OST in my car. Ronfaure, Sarutabaruta and Mhaura curb the road rage.

The pace was good for me too. Battles are deliberate, teamwork and organization are expected of you. The downtime wasn't fine if your party didn't suck. WoW felt frentic and rushed to me.

I also like the interface because it's made for a PS2 controller. I don't like keyboard so much.

Comment

My friends is what makes Vana'diel a "home away from home." That and I look pretty cool dual weilding daggers >.<

Take The Quiz Yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X