Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for FFXI veteran who also knows how to write.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for FFXI veteran who also knows how to write.

three words: blood red poet.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Basically, no one player will know everything about the game. Hence, we have free sites which has this information available. Want it on paper? Just print it yourself.

http://ffxi.somepage.com/links/

I see no reason for yet another $15 strategy guide to be put on bookshelves with information that will more than likely be filled with opinionated diatribes and outdated information.

Comment

I'll be honest, coming to this site was the right idea, I know that if I can contribute my knowledge, experience, view points and sarcasm (you could have ediotr fueled debates over common questions at the back of the book for some laughs) and get my name on it, I'd do it for free. I know that if we come together as a majority to work on this, just having our names in print and being notorius for finally making a guide, "For players, by players"â„¢ would be enough for me.

Yes, you may use that, but I'd like credit for that >.> maybe even a footnote on the first page or something <.<

Figure out what needs to be addressed, then outline that (which you probably already have done, I'm sure) Then ask for volunteers and assign roles. This type of project, to be done correctly, cannot be left to a couple, a few, or even a handful of ppl, you'll need the input of various ppl who have done various things.

Yes, the guides will eventually become outdated, but the fuckin Brady Game's guide was outdated BEFORE IT CAME OUT. I bought that shit and used it for all it was worth within a month.

At the very least, if a guide is released now, with all the information, newcomers will get at least a year's worth of milage out of it.

Another idea would be to make a more managable and profitable approach, and simply release multiple strategy guides. a Fishing/Crafting/Farming/Harvesting guide, with locations of mobs, mob drops, recipes, Moon phase theory's, formulas, results, craft leveling paths and so on will be a guid in itself.

Then there could be a job role guide, with all 16(?) current jobs out, and talk about roles, and how with different setups, jobs can do different things, and combinations, and party roles, and party setups, and Weaponskilling and weaponskill combinations and all the intricacies of all the jobs would be another guide in itself.

See where I'm going with this? Maybe a complete guide might be a bit excessive. I'm sure that I'd pay for a set* of strategy guides, even as an experienced player, if I was able to have everything at my fingertips and it gave me quick answers to any question I had, and I didn't need to go thumbing through a website.
        The Tao of Ren
        FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
        Originally posted by Kaeko
        As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

three words: blood red poet.

indeed.

If you need help, I'll help ;o! I've hit 75 and like to see this game at every angle. Easy I, alone, could give you everything bit of information you would ever need on making a beginners guide, and then some. I'm some sort of a designer myself. Do you want me to PM you or such?

Comment

Originally posted by WishMaster3K
            Then there could be a job role guide, with all 16(?) current jobs out
            There's 15 jobs out atm until ToAU.
            Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
            Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
            Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
            Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
            Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Susurrus
              There's 15 jobs out atm until ToAU.
              >.> you WOULD know, wouldn't you. . . Job whore =OOO

rofl, j.k

Wishmaster Susurrus.

In a . . . manly, plutonic kinda way.
              The Tao of Ren

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
              As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

What makes you think I'm a job whore? <,<
                Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

lol, I said I was just kidding :3
                  The Tao of Ren

Comment

So am I! XD ♪

Retired.

Comment

damn musical notes >.< I'm going to make my name white just to spite you.
                      The Tao of Ren

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni
                        Basically, no one player will know everything about the game. Hence, we have free sites which has this information available. Want it on paper? Just print it yourself.

http://ffxi.somepage.com/links/

I see no reason for yet another $15 strategy guide to be put on bookshelves with information that will more than likely be filled with opinionated diatribes and outdated information.
                        What's funny about this is you assume that everyone knows about that resource. And the truth is, the majority don't, and don't want to. You also assume that quality of information is up to date, accurate, and uniform -- which it's not. The value from a strategy guide comes from not having to look on the internet, fish out information, and spend a large amount of time researching instead of playing.

I'm sure there is enough information on the internet to teach you to build a car. Do you want to look for it all, link it together, and present in a way that makes sense to you? Or would you rather just spend a few dollars and have it all right in front of you?

Double Post Edited:
                        Originally posted by Susurrus
                        My job levels are indicated below and I've been playing since the US release. I could help out, but yes, the guide would need to be a hell of a lot longer, even without images, unless the pages are rediculously stupid large.

Mind if I ask, what company is this for? And would we get credit (as in put our name in it)?

Also, you'd want information post Treasures of Aht Urgan, since it will more than likely change a lot of the game and make a huge amount outdated.
                        Hey I'm all for a longer guide!

Everyone who contributes would get credit, but keep in mind my strategy guides are for a niche market. They won't have the reach that BradyGames does because I don't have "official" status with Square.

Most companies reach some kind of deal with the game company (which supplies them information on the game) and they write the guide a few months before the game is released.

BradyGames just slapped together the official guide to cash in on the launch of FFXI and forgot about it. This is where my company comes in. We offer free updates to our guides and make an effort to keep them updated. Although my company is small, it does cut into their bottom line and so they've started publishing the "updates".

None of that matters when the guide is written so badly though. And they won't support niche games with updates, etc.

BradyGames probably reached an enormous amount of the FFXI playerbase. My company has sold thousands of guides, but has no where near that. That doesn't stop me from wanting to update my lackluster and aging FFXI guides though.
                        Last edited by Trouncer; 01-09-2006, 05:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hey you, stop ignoring me. I'm writing your guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Red Poet
                            Hey you, stop ignoring me. I'm writing your guide.
                            !

I sent you an instant message!

Comment

Actually, I like researching different tactics and viewpoints regarding the game. I have the (crappy) Brady Games guide. It is nice to have for some things, but the walkthroughs and such are not worth it. I visit a few FFXI related sites, research what each one says is a good way to handle a certain situation, and try to adapt it into the way I play.

I dunno, to me a game like FFXI is fun because it requires you to look for various ways to solve a certain scenerio. But good luck with your guide though. It will make a good resource for players who are interested in it.
                              You know what, you can kiss my...

Red Mage 38 | White Mage 10 | Black Mage 17 | Bard 10 | Ranger 03 | Alchemy 38 | Cooking 09

RDM: Rose Duelist Mithra

Comment

By the by, anything that lowers the cluelessness factor of new players entering the game is a good thing.

I've been too busy to play FFXI of late, but feel free to PM me for clarifications or additional information.

I write quickly, concisely, and research most of what I post about FFXI myself, but you don't really need the level of knowledge that I have to write a basic beginners guide (which is really what you're after anyhow).

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                                X