Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is true, can't spell ignorant without IGN, IGN shows their ignorance about FFXI

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: It is true, can't spell ignorant without IGN, IGN shows their ignorance about FFX

Originally posted by WishMaster3K
    Yeah, because Companies in general Over-Subscribe their lines. Most of the time, hell, almost all of the time, they're letting 5+ users share your EXACT same connection. So a lot of speed is intermitten.
    Every Highspeed Internet company I've tried has done that though, and DSL is incapable of 8Mbps at best it can do 7Mbps. That's why I'm curious what company if it is a Highspeed Internet Service Provider they are using.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

• Re: It is true, can't spell ignorant without IGN, IGN shows their ignorance about FFXI

I use a local cable company. It's typically at 8 Mbps (though due to the shared nature people have mentioned, it can drop), and even when I update FFXI I can do other stuff (such as stream movies, music, etc.) and the speed of the download won't change before, during, or after. Who knows, maybe it's just a routing problem with my ISP and the POL network since the information is going to Japan and back.
      Happy happy gogo Mana is full of

http://www.dawnlinkshell.com

Comment

• Re: It is true, can't spell ignorant without IGN, IGN shows their ignorance about FFX

Nah, issues of routing out would affect everything then. If you are using cable unless were you live has very few people, don't know how it could be at 8Mbps at a steady rate. Again though I'm curious how you know what it's download rate was, unless I just forgot that the update screen shows that info I don't see how'd you know it's staying at 56Kbps.

That would mean too that the recent update took you around 1hr. and 20min. unless SE does what I suggested as a possible I don't see how that could be.

It is likely that I'm forgetting that update screen shows that, I never pay attention to it anymore. All I know is that when it starts it's update it will be done in 30 min. never had it go beyond that though, and 30 min. fits exactly in with the time it takes for something downloading around the 1Mbps speed.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

• Re: It is true, can't spell ignorant without IGN, IGN shows their ignorance about FFXI

He who agrees with me is an intelligent man, he who does not, an idiot.
          QFTW.
          Pounce (RETIRED) Mithra Bastok R.7 Titan server
          DRG 62 | RDM 65 | WAR 34 | SAM 30 | WHM 33 | BLM 33 | THF 15

(guess my name =P) Mithra Bastok R.1 Titan server
          MNK 18 | WAR 3
          Future NIN -_-

Comment

Originally posted by Macht
            Nah, issues of routing out would affect everything then. If you are using cable unless were you live has very few people, don't know how it could be at 8Mbps at a steady rate. Again though I'm curious how you know what it's download rate was, unless I just forgot that the update screen shows that info I don't see how'd you know it's staying at 56Kbps.

That would mean too that the recent update took you around 1hr. and 20min. unless SE does what I suggested as a possible I don't see how that could be.

It is likely that I'm forgetting that update screen shows that, I never pay attention to it anymore. All I know is that when it starts it's update it will be done in 30 min. never had it go beyond that though, and 30 min. fits exactly in with the time it takes for something downloading around the 1Mbps speed.
            Well, if it means anything, after I made my last post, the latest update took 15 minutes, so maybe it was just an issue from a month or so back. So I regress~ And I guess from the fact it took me about 20 hours to update FFXI when I last formatted my computer :p

Comment

I did a fresh reinstall, as in, old FFXI Disk with Old RoZ and original CoP.

Took me about 5 hours at most and 11000 or so file.

Now, I remember back in the unfamous August update I did this previously on this laptop, and with everyone updating, it took me about 20hours.

Updates go much faster as SE reprints the disks; the collaboration DVD, I imagine, would cut your update, fresh or otherwise, to about 1hour.

But keep in mind how much richness you are getting: over the course of 2 years, SE has refixed damn near how almost everything in the game works, and all this is evident in updates. It's pretty impressive that although graphically, the game engine pales, they can update the game to whatever they want. I have no doubt that with each new generation, SE will quietly retire their older generation platform, and update the game further.

Quite frankly, this is a game that evolves with the hardware and is limitless. Don't be suprised if in 2007, we're all riding on dragons and having aerial battles with airships, all cause everyone on the PS2 moved onto PC or PS3 and the game engine itself can be revamped. That's being a bit optimistic, but where would I be if I wasn't an optimist?

Probably playing WoW or something cookiecutter >.>
              The Tao of Ren
              FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
              Originally posted by Kaeko
              As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by WishMaster3K
                I did a fresh reinstall, as in, old FFXI Disk with Old RoZ and original CoP.

Took me about 5 hours at most and 11000 or so file.

Now, I remember back in the unfamous August update I did this previously on this laptop, and with everyone updating, it took me about 20hours.

Updates go much faster as SE reprints the disks; the collaboration DVD, I imagine, would cut your update, fresh or otherwise, to about 1hour.

But keep in mind how much richness you are getting: over the course of 2 years, SE has refixed damn near how almost everything in the game works, and all this is evident in updates. It's pretty impressive that although graphically, the game engine pales, they can update the game to whatever they want. I have no doubt that with each new generation, SE will quietly retire their older generation platform, and update the game further.

Quite frankly, this is a game that evolves with the hardware and is limitless. Don't be suprised if in 2007, we're all riding on dragons and having aerial battles with airships, all cause everyone on the PS2 moved onto PC or PS3 and the game engine itself can be revamped. That's being a bit optimistic, but where would I be if I wasn't an optimist?

Probably playing WoW or something cookiecutter >.>
                Read my earlier post on why it isn't the PS2 that limits the game, but the graphics engine :p

Comment

In a way it IS the graphics engine, since the game came out 3.5 years ago on the PS2

Haha, touche. It is to laugh. Game, set and match, Renarudo.

*crowd goes wild*
                  The Tao of Ren
                  FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                  Originally posted by Kaeko
                  As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Manatra
                    Read my earlier post on why it isn't the PS2 that limits the game, but the graphics engine :p
                    Umm ... SE has said and so did Sage Sundi, that PS2 was the real reason why the game has been limited. Something to do with the memory architecture, not necessarily the graphics. Everyone keeps talking about graphics. Well, I've got news for you. All MMORPGs have one thing in common that tend to "cock-block" bandwidth and that is the database. Every single thing that you see in-game is database driven.

You don't have to take my word for it. Download an iRO client and go pull it through MSSQL and see how much memory it uses up just expanding the tables and various other recordsets.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni
                      Umm ... SE has said and so did Sage Sundi, that PS2 was the real reason why the game has been limited. Something to do with the memory architecture, not necessarily the graphics. Everyone keeps talking about graphics. Well, I've got news for you. All MMORPGs have one thing in common that tend to "cock-block" bandwidth and that is the database. Every single thing that you see in-game is database driven.

You don't have to take my word for it. Download an iRO client and go pull it through MSSQL and see how much memory it uses up just expanding the tables and various other recordsets.
                      Graphics engines don't have much to do with databases when it comes to actually rendering last I recalled...

And RO is a horrid example, that game has one memory leak after another :p

Comment

Originally posted by Manatra
                        Graphics engines don't have much to do with databases when it comes to actually rendering last I recalled...

And RO is a horrid example, that game has one memory leak after another :p
                        Well they kinda do.

Imagine 40-50 characters in the area. Pretty common for a town situation.

Then consider that for each character you get the following information

race/gender
                        Name/LS/Guild
                        Hairstyle/skincolor/size/misc

then the equipment

consider that each piece has to match the correct race/gender

arm
                        leg
                        feet
                        hands
                        body
                        head
                        (in WoW)
                        back/cape
                        belt
                        shoulders
                        bracers

then consider all the different armor pieces in the game...

yeah, it piles on quickly the more variables you add.

the graphics memory then has to be able to store all the texture/model information for all those items (in WoW, they store all the model detail except shoulders and helmet on the race/gender model)...

You get the idea.

---------

Blood Red poet, hey, how's it going brain of spam forum whore? Same as usual huh. Good good.

Comment

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/bo...ow-suggestions

At least on my game, 50-60% of posts are not complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Red Poet

And you get that amount of complaints with every single "official" game forums that have ever existed.

Besides, aren't you enjoying WoW at the present moment BRP?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Red Poet

Haha. I've quit both games you brain of spam chimp.

Moreover, FFXI sure would be recieving that many complaints if there was an official forum for complaint for the game. But all you really have are fan moderated forums like this one that tend to control the amount of hate expressed in the forums.

Comment

wanted to share a screenshot I took from the game ^^ wont tell ya how tho it's like a reward that's all I'll say. (Those who have seen this, shhh heheh)

I think 'art' is a big reason why something either looks good or not. So regardless of how technologically challenged the 'graphics' of ffxi is, it's art is still unparalled. I tried many games, my closest fav has been CoH graphics, the rest made my eyes wanna tear itself out but again, every body has their preference, thats what makes all of us interesting!

P/S: my pc isnt very high end at all, I just recently upgraded to geforce 6600GT onry, so it's not like super gaming machine. I'll post another picture of what my beta looks like... just for comparison ^^

Double Post Edited:
                                My beta shot XD hai hai its ugly I know, but this was on a Geforce2 graphics card, old system built in 2000. Barely had much horse power for ffxi, had to run it at lowest possible settings >< had to turn literally everything off. And yet, the beauty of Vanadiel blew me away... even in all its graphical crappiness due to my pc lol... it was still the most beautiful game I've played to date.

Until I updated my graphics card this past few months.... I always thought mygame was so so... when I first loaded the game on new video cards I felt like crying for joy lol... I had missed out so much on the little details. I was able to turn on bump mapping recently, and I spent a lot oftime in Jeuno just staring at details on certain armors that I never noticed before... lol it was like a whole new game
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by sdillon; 12-14-2005, 02:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                                ~Aquelia
                                TaruPrime Powah!
                                Chocobo Raising Diary: http://aquelia.waltzforariah.com

Comment

Working...
                                X