Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is true, can't spell ignorant without IGN, IGN shows their ignorance about FFXI

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It is true, can't spell ignorant without IGN, IGN shows their ignorance about FFXI

Originally posted by Zaptruder
    Considering how solid the X360 live interface is, playonline is a dramatic step back, in that it forces players to go through it... ideally it would smoothly integrate the playonline interface into the X360 dashboard...

as it stands, this 360 FFXI is simply a lazy cynical port, with the intent of slightly widening the player base of an aging MMORPG.

Relative to other X360 titles then, FFXI is soundly relegated as the last generation hand me down that it is.

In otherwords, trash (for a new game machine).

Double Post Edited:
    The only merit that FFXI has over most other MMOs is the fact that its art style is still among the best of any MMO in the last 5 or so years. It's a shame it isn't coupled with a reasonable game engine.
    So basically you said POL only made the process of signing on more encumbersom, and that it should be integrated into Xbox Live to eliminate that extra step. You also continued to say that it's just a port of the original game, and nothing has been reworked to take advantage of Xbox 360's powerful engine which was a lame move.

I argued that they said a slight improvement in the graphics were in the works, and that they didn't have to do anything at all. Complaining isn't the reasonable response here because they just might improve the graphics greatly. I also went on to say that he shouldn't complain about what's been part of the game for three years now, and that since you were so adamant about comparing ol' FFXI to newer games like WoW, that FFXI still has the best graphics on the market. If you stop to think about what they're working with it all makes sense.

WoW half-assed their expansion because they're too busy making animations of dancing murlocs, and Flash presentations of skill trees. Instead of correcting their buggy software they just localize it and release it in other countries. Their graphics aren't even that good to begin with. (PROTIP: ANTI ALIASING ISN'T GOING TO IMPROVE ANYTHING) FFXI's graphics are completely acceptable, if not jawsome, and yet they've been able to maintain an incredible plot and rich world for us to play in. Instead of complaining we should be giving credit where credit is due.

Comment

Re: It is true, can't spell ignorant without IGN, IGN shows their ignorance about FFX

Some people can't argue without insulting eachother, like the guy that called me a moron - calling me names doesn't change the fact that I'm still right and you're wrong, insulting me is not only immature but also pointless, when all people can come up with to counter my argument is insults its obvious I'm right and that there is nothing to argue about. Regardless, this whole thread is wrong from the start, yeah IGN has alot of retarded reviews/previews but this is NOT one of them.
      Last edited by jeffos; 12-12-2005, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Re: It is true, can't spell ignorant without IGN, IGN shows their ignorance about FFX

Originally posted by Manatra
        The truth is, FFXIs update system is slow. Squaresoft caps everyone at the speed of a 56k modem, which makes getting the patches quite painful.
        ...first off, no it doesn't. Your connection to the server while you're playing is capped at 56k. While you're downloading patches it's fair game. I downloaded all the patches for FFXI/RoZ/CoP from NA PC release in 35min on my Uni connection to my new laptop.

As for the main thrust of the article (on topic now!), the guy whines about POL. POL is really easy to use. It might not have the simplicity of XBOXlive but I don't see how it's annoying and slow. Considering that SE will be releasing/have released other online games through POL makes it a good way to keep in touch with everyone. I know a few people are going to be importing Fantasy Earth and it will be nice to keep in touch with them when they take a break/quit FFXI.

As for graphics, a small summation of what I've seen. (yes I played all these games)

WoW: If you like the Warcraft world you'll like the graphics. They fit Azaroth perfectly but in no way are they breathtaking.

EQ2: The graphics are really good. The polygon count and models are really detailed. Sadly the models and zones lack life or emotion. They're very superficial.

L2: umm....best of any MMORPG I've seen.

FFXI: Great for a MMO on PS2 almost 4 years ago. Disgustingly beautiful at JP PC release, and I'd even say for NA PC release. Even now few MMO match the clarity with which the models and the envionment is presented. If you have a computer that can support the display hack, they rival Lineage II.

The IGN reviewer is just writing what comes easy. Seriously, I don't think I could live without the messaging system, and the chatrooms are always fun during maintenance. Plus, the wallpaper of Riverne is omglove.

Comment

For computer literate people, as I imagine most of us here are, we have no problem running POL, but consoles are designed for simplicity and ease of use, and thats one of the main selling features on MS' online service as well, if you buy an xbox it takes all of 5 minutes to register and get online and start playing any online game you want, w/ FFXI those 5 mins will turn into several hours, thus why the reviewer may have found it unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffos
            For computer literate people, as I imagine most of us here are, we have no problem running POL, but consoles are designed for simplicity and ease of use, and thats one of the main selling features on MS' online service as well, if you buy an xbox it takes all of 5 minutes to register and get online and start playing any online game you want, w/ FFXI those 5 mins will turn into several hours, thus why the reviewer may have found it unacceptable.
            The only reason it might take hours is because of updates...

I don't see how registering a credit card, serial numbers, and a handle ID for POL service could take more than 15min.

Edit: oh, maybe an email address too? I don't think I missed much else. It's been two years since I first installed the game.

Comment

Re: It is true, can't spell ignorant without IGN, IGN shows their ignorance about FFXI

So basically you said POL only made the process of signing on more encumbersom, and that it should be integrated into Xbox Live to eliminate that extra step. You also continued to say that it's just a port of the original game, and nothing has been reworked to take advantage of Xbox 360's powerful engine which was a lame move.

I argued that they said a slight improvement in the graphics were in the works, and that they didn't have to do anything at all. Complaining isn't the reasonable response here because they just might improve the graphics greatly. I also went on to say that he shouldn't complain about what's been part of the game for three years now, and that since you were so adamant about comparing ol' FFXI to newer games like WoW, that FFXI still has the best graphics on the market. If you stop to think about what they're working with it all makes sense.

WoW half-assed their expansion because they're too busy making animations of dancing murlocs, and Flash presentations of skill trees. Instead of correcting their buggy software they just localize it and release it in other countries. Their graphics aren't even that good to begin with. (PROTIP: ANTI ALIASING ISN'T GOING TO IMPROVE ANYTHING) FFXI's graphics are completely acceptable, if not jawsome, and yet they've been able to maintain an incredible plot and rich world for us to play in. Instead of complaining we should be giving credit where credit is due.
              1) Apologizing for the problems or mistakes doesn't make them disappear. Especially someone elses problems/mistakes.

2) The WoW expansion pack hasn't been released yet; only some details. I'm not sure how you can justify its criticism with what you've said (protip: You can't).

3) Sticking protip in front of something doesn't make it any more authoritative. It's especially humorous when the following information is just flat out wrong. Anti aliasing reduces the visual phenomena of aliasing... or the jagged 'stair stepping' effect you get from lines of a diagonal orientation.

4) Throwing in weird superlatives as well as a punch of dogmatic opinion is definetly a sign of fanboyism. "jawesome"? Yeah ok buddy. I hope you're real happy in your jawsome game.

Comment

I have a question for you people, was Resident Evil 2 on GameCube a good port? Especially when it came out after Resident Evil 1.

That is the angle the guy from IGN is approaching it from (with FFXI being the equivelant of Resident Evil 2), and in that sense he is pretty much spot on.

By the way Zap, are you the same one that is on FoH?
                Happy happy gogo Mana is full of

http://www.dawnlinkshell.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zaptruder
                  1) The vitriol in the post is already insulting/offensive enough... you don't need kid gloves on the other insult.

2) The phrase Talking out of your dick... is probably more reserved for guys that ... you know I'm not even sure the phrase is supposed to be that. It's "Talking out of your ass." ... as in what you have to say is crap. "Thinking with your dick" indicates a lack of proper judgement due to male lust...
                  Umm.. Go f*ck yourself.
                  http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

Hurray for sweetkitty! she so sweet! XD Hey now..
                    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

*goes back in her cage* bah

Comment

Mana; yes.

Kitty; won't you join me?

Comment

Im not allowed to. Im leashed to someone.

Comment

i like the review, will keep Gill buying noobs away

about the IGN fanboy thing...

CoP=Complete RoZ=Complete ToAU=Mission 8
                            Blade:Jin, a wicked badass 3-fold skill that totally outparses ridill WARs and Blackbelt monks and averages 700-1300.

Comment

XD funny picture.. That guy is just a loser writing game reviews on games he doesn't know shit of.

Comment

Because for years I have been a fan of the game, and not once, not EVER, has any of these review sites, or just people in general given FFXI credit where credit is due. Not once has it received the recognition it deserves for bringing a full MMORPG without cutting any corners to a game console, and not just for PC. It has never gotten any praise from review sites for it's this, or it's impressive cutscenes. I still think the fact that this game can run on PS2 is amazing.
                                Aside from the PS2 bit, maybe it didn't get the praise because it wasn't what the market wanted (including the game reviewers)? That's true 4 years ago, and it's still true today.

Does that mean it's a bad game? No. It means it's a niche game. FFXI by it's very nature will never have broad market appeal to the degree of say, WoW, even if S-E launched a massive advertising campaign and bribed every game reviewer out there.

The game is simply very hardcore, and hardcore games tend not to have broad appeal.

Yet on the other hand, you got WoW. I did play this game, it wasn't my cup of tea, but I still understand why some people like it. They're a fan of the warcraft world, or they like PvP. That's all fine and good. But review sites, DID praise it too friggin much. They reviewed rediculously high for an MMORPG, that truely did not bring anything new to the genre. Easier to solo? Then why play an online rpg in the first place?
                                You obviously don't indeed understand why people like it then, if you have to ask that last question.

The reason WoW got so much praise was because it was so accessible. And part of the reason for it's accessibility is it's soloability.

WoW is like Apple Computer, or AOL. It didn't do anything revolutionary to the genre. But what it did, was open up the genre to the masses.
                                Pounce (RETIRED) Mithra Bastok R.7 Titan server
                                DRG 62 | RDM 65 | WAR 34 | SAM 30 | WHM 33 | BLM 33 | THF 15

(guess my name =P) Mithra Bastok R.1 Titan server
                                MNK 18 | WAR 3
                                Future NIN -_-

Comment

Working...
                                X