Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oh noes! not another ffxi vs wow thread!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh noes! not another ffxi vs wow thread!

So anyway, i decide to finally enter the 20th century and buy my first computer. so i get my shiny new laptop home, and what's the first thing i decide to do with it? i decide to give WOW a try. i mean, millions of subscribers can't all be wrong, right?

well, i downloaded a friend's account and played that stupid game for like 45 minutes before i decided those millions of subscribers are all WRONG!!! that game sucks! the characters are boreing and dull. there's no challenge, and little story. all it is is quest grinding, pvp, and killing random mobs by tapping the number 2 button for your super move.

now, don't get me wrong, i DO see the benefiet to soloability. after turning wow off in disgust, i turned ffxi back on... and couldn't find a pt >.< but wow simply didn't cut it for me.

looks like i'm here to stay good ol' vana'diel. now if i can just LOG ON
    Last edited by aegina; 12-02-2005, 06:42 PM.

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
    Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
    I live to entertain!

Re: oh noes! not another ffxi vs wow thread!

WoW isnt that bad... i had fun :D

Comment

it was too simple and easy.

granted, i only got to level 8 and i only played it for like 2 hours, maybe...

i still have it on my pc. i might play it some more, but i doubt i'll leave ffxi for it. i love this game.

Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
      I live to entertain!

Comment

its easy to level to 60.. yes. but the big level 60 instances are quite difficult >.>

personally i prefer ffxi over wow too but im just saying x]

Comment

ffxi is clearly designed for a niche market. it's meant for hardcore gamers who want to play a GOOD game, but who don't care how much time or work it takes to play.

wow seems to try to open its doors to anyone (a very good idea, i think) by making its game simple and easy to play. they treat their game like a product to be sold.

i have a friend who plays wow. i don't try to get him to come to ffxi because i know he doesn't have much time to devote to a video game, and he has a short attention span. wow is perfect for him. he's the friend i borrowed the account from.

i'm, however, perfect for ffxi, i think. i have an untold ammount of free time right now, and i like to pt. wow just doesnt cut it for me.

I live to entertain!

Comment

WoW is a short term game imo, easy to lvl easy to play. I really enjoyed WoW and chose to give FFXI ago. (still downloading the patches atm)

Comment

If you think WOW has a good niche for opening to general users then you haven't tried Lineage II then. To me Lineage II is much like WOW but better graphically and with any story content used. Not only that but getting to actually rule a region, raise dragons that belong to you, and the seige battles are pretty damn sweet too.

Unfortunatly the thing that plagues that game is its incredibly high amount of PvP that occurs, leveling on Lineage II though is also kind of an in-between from WOW and FFXI. It's not as easy as WOW but it definatly easier then FFXI.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

It's good for a change. :D like it or not it's your own to decide.

I like DQ8 more than FFXI. But there's so many things I have to do in FFXI that I can't help myself to log in D:
                There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I also have a 60 in WoW, and yes, there is a bunch of stuff to do, but it is plauged by asshats and wanna-be gods. YOu are either in THE BEST guild, or you arent, i herad FFXI was that way, but i simply have never had trouble getting help/ mission pts. In WoW, i had to twist 4 other's arms to do it.
                  Never fear Death... simply become it...
                  http://www.insomniel.com/quizzes/dragoon.html <-- ME!

Artist: Blue Oyster Cult Lyrics
                  Song: (Don't Fear) The Reaper Lyrics
                  All our times have come
                  Here but now they're gone
                  Seasons don't fear the reaper
                  Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain..we can be like they are
                  Come on baby...don't fear the reaper
                  Baby take my hand...don't fear the reaper
                  We'll be able to fly...don't fear the reaper
                  Baby I'm your man...

Comment

If you think WOW has a good niche for opening to general users then you haven't tried Lineage II then. To me Lineage II is much like WOW but better graphically and with any story content used. Not only that but getting to actually rule a region, raise dragons that belong to you, and the seige battles are pretty damn sweet too.

Unfortunatly the thing that plagues that game is its incredibly high amount of PvP that occurs, leveling on Lineage II though is also kind of an in-between from WOW and FFXI. It's not as easy as WOW but it definatly easier then FFXI.
                    I've never played L2, but I have a friend who does, as well as many cousins who do in Korea as well.

From what I've heard, L2's hardcoreness makes FFXI look like a casual game. The grind is disgustingly, brutally punishing, and some of the better items are so ridiculously inflated that it's almost impossible to get them without resorting to RMT.

Lineage is far, far, far more of a niche product than FFXI, and it's really meant for players who are even more hardcore than the most hardcore of the hardcorest of FFXI players.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

well, i downloaded a friend's account and played that stupid game for like 45 minutes before i decided those millions of subscribers are all WRONG!!! that game sucks! the characters are boreing and dull. there's no challenge, and little story. all it is is quest grinding, pvp, and killing random mobs by tapping the number 2 button for your super move.
                    And 45 minutes and Lv8 is enough to pass judgement that millions of subscribers are wrong? Not every game is for everyone, but that's kinda harsh, even if you are exaggerating a bit.
                    Pounce (RETIRED) Mithra Bastok R.7 Titan server
                    DRG 62 | RDM 65 | WAR 34 | SAM 30 | WHM 33 | BLM 33 | THF 15

(guess my name =P) Mithra Bastok R.1 Titan server
                    MNK 18 | WAR 3
                    Future NIN -_-

Comment

The only good thing about WOW is the mediocre opening scene. Besides that it's just a player-friendly kids game. If you want a real challenge try keeping up with the inflation in FFXI. I always found that fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Pounce
                        And 45 minutes and Lv8 is enough to pass judgement that millions of subscribers are wrong? Not every game is for everyone, but that's kinda harsh, even if you are exaggerating a bit.
                        ok, maybe i did overexaggerate a bit... all i was saying is that, with the number of people playing that game, somehow i just expected it to be... i dunno... better...

the air of that game, however, was very.... casual. you just turn it on and start playing. not like here, where everything's a major event with 30 minutes to 3 hours setup time.

but i got bored staring at the characters in wow. ffxi's characters look much, much nicer.

I live to entertain!

Comment

I love generalizations /yawn

If you think WoW's graphics suck, obviously you don't like the art direction of the game (some people don't like Impressionist Art, but do like Photorealism).

The styles of the games are inherently different, one style may appeal to you, the other may not.

Oh, and WoW is just as "difficult" as FFXI.
                          Last edited by Manatra; 12-02-2005, 08:49 PM.
                          Happy happy gogo Mana is full of

http://www.dawnlinkshell.com

Comment

I don't think anyone said that WoW's "art suck", I saw someone mention they got bored of looking at the characters. /shrug. I don't really think this thread is much of a generalization either, the games are marketed for certain audiences and are succeeding in their chosen marketplace. We're just discussing that xD

Corwynn's Journal

Red Mage for life.

What's worse than finding a worm in your apple?

Comment

Oh, and WoW is just as "difficult" as FFXI.
                              Lol. No....

Comment

Working...
                              X