This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does FFXI support wireless play?

ok i've been playin FFXI for about a year now, but i could only get on when my mom or other family memebrs were not using the internet because i hade to unplugh the phone line downstairs and plug in the phone line upstairs from my PS2 so i could play. Well this has always been an inconvienece for me and my family, so we went to best buy to see what we could do. Well we met someone that works thatere and happens to play FFXI (he was a 74 WHM) and he told us to buy a linksys wireless modem so i could use it to connect with the one downstairs. wel when i tried to use it it wouldnt work so i gave up and have been playing FFXI for a year always switching out the phone cords when i could play. Well today we had the geek squad come and try to hook it up for us, while i was at school. well they said they fixed it so it should work. My friend has been telling me that FFXI doesnt support wireless play and thats why it wont work, well it turns out when i got home low and behold i cant get on FFXI. So i'm wonder if FFXI does work off a wireless system and if not wh ythe hell the guy at best buy sold it to me, and if it does work what settings do i need to go to and change in the connection settings area so i can play.

Take The Quiz Yourself!

Re: Does FFXI support wireless play?

Well, you just said that it was working, so I think that answers your question.

FFXI requires an internet connection. It doesn't much care how you get that internet connection to what ever hardware you're using. As long as your machine/PS2 has an IP address of some kind, and has routing to the "outside world" you can play FFXI.

I have a LS member who he and his wife both play on Wireless. He's playing on PS2 his wife on a PC, both on a wireless connection.

Now you will need a wireless bridge for your PS2. A device that can plug into the ethernet port on your PS2, and then bridges to the wireless gateway. But in the end, all you need is an IP address to play FFXI.
    Odude
    PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
    RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
    SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylik
      ok i've been playin FFXI for about a year now, but i could only get on when my mom or other family memebrs were not using the internet because i hade to unplugh the phone line downstairs and plug in the phone line upstairs from my PS2 so i could play. Well this has always been an inconvienece for me and my family, so we went to best buy to see what we could do. Well we met someone that works thatere and happens to play FFXI (he was a 74 WHM) and he told us to buy a linksys wireless modem so i could use it to connect with the one downstairs. wel when i tried to use it it wouldnt work so i gave up and have been playing FFXI for a year always switching out the phone cords when i could play. Well today we had the geek squad come and try to hook it up for us, while i was at school. well they said they fixed it so it should work. My friend has been telling me that FFXI doesnt support wireless play and thats why it wont work, well it turns out when i got home low and behold i cant get on FFXI. So i'm wonder if FFXI does work off a wireless system and if not wh ythe hell the guy at best buy sold it to me, and if it does work what settings do i need to go to and change in the connection settings area so i can play.
      PS2 doesn't support wireless play.
      Just get a router and plug in an ethernet cable =/

Comment

I've read about people connecting their PS2 to a wireless bridge before. I'm sure you can set it up.
        There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
        but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
        transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Well your friend was half right. The PS2 system itself is not designed to use WiFi 802.11b or 802.11g standards. This however does not mean that you can by a device to allow it to still work on these standards.

What you need is basically two things, a Wireless Access Point(or Wireless Router), and a Wireless Access Point(or Wireless Game Adapter). Don't confuse a Access Point with a Bridge the concept of the two are totally different though technically you can use them for the similar function.

In short since it sounds like the Geek Squad already did it for you the answer is yes the PS2 Network Adapter is designed to recieve a Cat5 cable not wireless. The Network Adapter has no internal build of WiFi technology but it is still usable with WiFi technology. My home network is a complete WiFi technology network, all 5 Computers, 2 Pocket PCs, PSP, 2 Laptops, 2 PS2s, and 3 printers are all linked to the wireless network by WiFi adapters if they are not originaly built with WiFi technology in them.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

i decided to retry getting on to FFXI with my wireless thinggy XD and it WORKED, i guess last time it just didnt get a connesction. So thank you all for you helpful tips, but i guess i wont need to use them XD. I"M SOOOOOO HAPPY XD

Take The Quiz Yourself!

Comment

Working...
            X