This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard vs Gamepad

I'm a PC gamer, and I have played all of my MMORPGs with a keyboard. FFXI is my newest game, and it doesn't play that great on a keyboard. My roommate plays on a controller, and he seems to move around a bit easier. Anyone else find this?
    I guess i'm looking for solutions, maybe some tricks from the pros

Oh, I'm playing a WHM

Re: Keyboard vs Gamepad

I played on keyboard for almost a year too with some ego that an MMO should be played on keyboard xD I tried controller and, well, the game suddenly felt completely different. More fun, more comfortable, feels a lot more like a game. I had to ask myself, what the hell had I been doing for a year.

Some of my friends still prefer keyboard. So I guess you'll be best to try them both.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

it's just a matter of preference really, once you get used to keyboard... it's like second nature. i've tried both gamepad and keyboard, i prefer keyboard.

name: jonel
      server: leviathan
      linkshell: blackrose
      / absolute zero

Comment

i have been using controller for about 2 years and i totally forgot how to play with the keyboard lol

Comment

i play with gamepad. i like the rumble support. XD

Comment

Gamepad all the way. Analog stick movement and camera control > keyboard control every day of the week.

Icemage

Comment

If you get a gamepad make sure it has the same sort of layout as a PS2 pad, or atleast 2 analog sticks and plenty of buttons. I've tried with Mouse / Keyboard and found it almost impossible to play, a gamepad makes things alot easier.

Comment

I find that a playstation controller used on the pc version is great.
                I don't think I ever learned how to properly use the keyboard setup.

Comment

Keyboard only here. I have cerebral palsy and play with one hand. Controllers are cumbersome. Then again, I can play better than a lot of players using game pads because I cater my keyboard and macros to my specific needs.

Title: Sergeant Major
                  SAM75, RNG75, PUP75, PLD60, My NPC65
                  Bastok Rank 10, San d'Oria Rank 10, Windurst Rank 10
                  Missions: Completed/Zilart Completed/CoP Completed/ToAU: Playing the Part-Sergeant Major
                  Midgardsormr|Cactuar (MNK51)

Comment

<<Keyboard.

I hardly use my mouse for the camra angles. I just use my thumb on the directional buttons when I want to adjust the camra. Plus I like the fact that I dont have to put down the controller to type, then pick it back up. Meh.

/tosses 2 gil.

Comment

This game was designed to be played with a controller...

and really is difficult to play with mouse/keyboard due to the way they completely gimped that interface.

If they were less... cheap about porting to the PC version (including the use of FSAA, etc) then a perfectly usable mouse keyboard interface could've been had.

But having played WoW (designed from ground up for mouse/keyboard), I do certainly miss playing with the gamepad; even if it is easier to powergame (effectively access abilities, options information, items, etc) with the kb/mouse setup.

Comment

<<Keyboard.

I hardly use my mouse for the camra angles. I just use my thumb on the directional buttons when I want to adjust the camra. Plus I like the fact that I dont have to put down the controller to type, then pick it back up. Meh.

/tosses 2 gil.
                        You can use Shift-Arrow keys to adjust the camera. Or, if you use compact mode or leave Num Lock off, you can use Shift-i/j/k/l (default controls). Comes in handy when you are in a battle.
                        Last edited by fastcart; 09-27-2005, 05:53 AM.

Title: Sergeant Major
                        SAM75, RNG75, PUP75, PLD60, My NPC65
                        Bastok Rank 10, San d'Oria Rank 10, Windurst Rank 10
                        Missions: Completed/Zilart Completed/CoP Completed/ToAU: Playing the Part-Sergeant Major
                        Midgardsormr|Cactuar (MNK51)

Comment

If you choose to use a controller, I recommend using the Logitech Netplay. It's a controller and keyboard in one so you don't have to swap back and forth to type. It's also nice to be able to lean back and put your feet up while playing and not juggle with 2 things. I prefer it to a regular controller in fact because the wider stance lets your arms and hands rest more naturally at your sides than elbows out hands turned in with a regular controller. So I can lean back, put my feet up, put my arms on my chair's armrests, and play almost as comfortably as when I play on my PS2 in my living room.
                          Originally posted by Feba
                          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                          Originally posted by DakAttack
                          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

i would always prefer keyboard over gamepad...

CoP=Complete RoZ=Complete ToAU=Mission 8
                            Blade:Jin, a wicked badass 3-fold skill that totally outparses ridill WARs and Blackbelt monks and averages 700-1300.

Comment

I play useing a PS2 Controllor that has a built in mini keyboard on the middle. Its very nice and just a little bigger than the Regular PS2 Controllor.

Medalink

Comment

Working...
                              X