Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help meMy college is willing to unblock FFXI from internet but needs more info

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help meMy college is willing to unblock FFXI from internet but needs more info

My college's wireless internet blocks online gaming and is willing to unblock FFXI for me. I gave them the ports that they need to open but they also need the IP addresses that POL and/or FFXI connects to because of security issues. I got the IP addresses that POL connects to by going to Start>Run and typing nslookup in the run window. When the DOS prompt came up I typed pt004.pol.com and it gave me 3 IP addresses. Those are the IP addreses that POL connects to. What I want to know is does FFXI connect to these IP addresses too? If not, how do I find them? I would really 33 if anyone can help me out because this will let me play FFXI in my dorm room at college.

Edit: I got this answer on another forum:

Each server has it's own IP address. The AH/Search also has it's own IP address. I believe that update, mail, POL, and login servers have their own IPs (multiple) as well.

If this is the case, how do I find out the IP addresses to all of these things? -_- I'm on Ragnarok if that helps.

Re: Please help meMy college is willing to unblock FFXI from internet but needs more

Your best recourse might be just asking S-E for the addresses.

Comment

Re: Please help meMy college is willing to unblock FFXI from internet but needs more info

I tried but they didn't seem to understand what I was talking about.... maybe I just got someone that didn't know much about the game or they can't give it out....

I got this program that will help me get the IP addresses but I can only get one IP address because I can not get past the log in screen on POL.

Comment

Re: Please help meMy college is willing to unblock FFXI from internet but needs more info

You shouldn't need the IP address if the port is unblocked....
        -Baka Inu!
        Nejiko - Mithra Current: [ 70 THF / 35 NIN ]
        Basic Jobs: [ 70 THF / 20 MNK / 11 WHM / 18 BLM / 22WAR / 05 RDM]
        Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]
        Aht Jobs: [07 COR / 00 BLU / 00 PUP]

Comment

Re: Please help meMy college is willing to unblock FFXI from internet but needs more

My college said the reason why they need the IP addresses is that if they just open the ports, they run the risk having people to be able to Download MP3s...

and I don't understand why they think they blocked MP3 downloads when I can just use AIM and IM my friend and as him to send me a MP3 or go on yahoo.com and search for MP3s and get them that way...

The college tried to talk to POL support but they seemed to not understand what we were talking about.

I got this other answer from another forum:

"Unfortunately, you most likely can not do that. In addition to the AH/Search features, most likely different regions within the game world also have their own IP address (which is the reason you can't invite someone outside of your region).

All that is probably done internally or, maybe, even server side while you're playing the game. Unless you want to hack your game files and, in the process, risk messing something up, you'll most likely not find out the IP addys for all the different in-game functions."

if thats the case I don't know what I should do....

Comment

Wait for college to be over? =P
            signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

I don't want to do that... that will be a long time from now

Comment

"run the risk of downloading mp3's" hahahahahahahahha your tech support people are morons. And also the other forum is right the FFXI "SErvers" are prob. spread out over 100's of servers, and databases.

Tell them to unblock these ports:
                + Port numbers that may be used by the PlayOnline server group:
                -TCP 25, 80, 110, 443 or 50000 - 65535
                -UDP 50000 - 65535
                -Baka Inu!
                Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]

Comment

they won't do it because of the "MP3" problem.... are the ports just related to POL and FFXI and nothing else?

Comment

Well ports can be used for just about anything, just blocking ports is stupid. Anyway, Yea, unless they have a high amount of ports blocked (like port 100-55,555) they won't be blocking P2P transfer. Then again, the common college student dosn't know how to change ports anyway... so.

They are just moron's do some research on ports, and port blocking and build up some knowlege of what you are talking about, then go with them to the information. I'll look up sopme stuff that might help you later, but I have to goto my CSCI class.
                    -Baka Inu!

Comment

thank you InuTrunks^^

Comment

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
                        -Baka Inu!

Comment

Another link which you might like

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24312
                          -Baka Inu!

Comment

Working...
                          X