Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of quitting WoW for FFXI....should i?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of quitting WoW for FFXI....should i?

I've been playing WoW for a while now, now ive got lvl 60, and also another lvl 54 and about a million other alts, i'm getting bored of it. So i've thought about getting FFXI
    I've played and completed FFX, FFX-2 and FF7 and i thought they were great, now i really wanna try out FFXI as it sounds pretty cool

but i just wanna ask...whats good about FFXI, and would it be worth quitting WoW for it?

Thanks for reading.
    ~Draemus

Re: Thinking of quitting WoW for FFXI....should i?

Well I've been around enough to be able to give you some feedback.

- First off the story in this game is very well done. Usually MMORPG tend to nto have storylines at all, just jump in game and level. So that's why this will be the first, and last MMO I ever play.

- The endgame in FFXI is also nice. Given I could be happy fighting each God in sky once and be done with them, but I'll likely keep going to God fights for fun. However Gods in sky aren't the only thing worth doing when you reach 70 plus. There's also camping HNM for new challenges, doing BCNM (Burning Circle Notorious Monster,) and ENM (Empty Notorious Monster) fights. Expeditionary Force missions to try and take over a particular region, while getting to fight lots of mobs, and Garrison missions where you have to protect NPC's from hordes of Beastmen. Simply put, there's always something to do in FFXI.

- The community in this game is better then I've seen in some of the other MMO's I've seen being played. Some are very nice, always willing to offer advice and sometimes even services, however there are those who'd seek to be arrogant and jerks, and would rather lie behind peoples backs (if they're like that in game imagine them in real life, sheesh.)

- Also at any given time you can sell the items you carry on you, by bazaaring them. That means if you have seven items on the Auction House waiting to sell, feel free to try and sell them while you walk around freely.

I hope those details give you enough insight to give this game a try, I think you'd be pleased with this game. Here's a small breakdown of somethings to do in this game. Some I listed above.

- BCNM fights (fun fights good profit; details above)
    - ENM fights (fun fights good profit; details above)
    - Garrison missions (details above)
    - Expeditionary Force missions (details above)
    - Numerous quests (three main nations, plus one neutral nation, plus at least eight other towns full.)
    - PVP in the form of Ballista (in three zones, plus a zone dedicated to Ballista; can actually net EXP bonuses)
    - Three main nation missions (can get to rank 10)
    - RoZ Storyline: Picks up after Nation mission 12 (or after 5-2)
    - CoP Storyline: Picks up a few minutes before RoZ ends

I hope all this info helps you make a decision. If you have any other questions feel free to post them and I'll offer anymore info I can. To note, the new Vana'diel Collection just came out. Thirty bucks will get you FFXI and its two expansion packs.

<--- I'm cursed
    READ MY JOURNAL ON THIS WEBSITE!
    http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/jou...owjournal&j=18

Comment

i actually just quit WoW to try FFXI also

it's patching now. But what sold me was the originality of the game, the style, the fact it's a final fantasy game (love em all), the job system, the way its cross platform + soon to be on xbox360 (so i could play it on my xbox360 when i get one also, i just find that neat), and again, it's just very unique. Also i've heard many good things about the story line, and good story is a must imo.

Comment

almost everything is good ;p
        unless u are lazy since its a very very long game.
        long as in too many things to do

Comment

Yes, the biggest draw back is waiting around for a party, but eventually everybody is invited(unless you're a Dragoon, our time will come soon!!!). People see different classes as useful in certain situations with different set ups, so depending on who else is seeking you might have to wait a bit longer.

What's odd is that you aren't getting what you're putting into FFXI as you put into it, which happens in WoW, but once you do get out of it whatever you wanted to it's worth it. It means a bit more.

Comment

Don't give up. Thats it, thats all you need to know to play FFXI. And to enjoy FFXI, give a crap about the story. And don't do dynamis until you are 75 with +4-6K buffer. And learn from other players... and... and... worship the bloodredpoet.

Comment

Coming from someone who has played both games extensively, I can honestly say that FFXI keeps you much more entertained. WoW is a much faster paced game with an extremely well put together battle system that will keep you busy for a while, but with FFXI, it is much more immersive with many future goals to reach. When I played WoW, I only got to level 52 before I got bored of just running around getting ganked by all the bastard children known as Night Elves. With FFXI, I've been playing it for two years off and on, and I've only attained level 54, with plans to reach level 75.

Comment

...I wonder how many people have gone from WoW to FFXI?

And that's not even touching going from FFXI to WoW and back to FFXI.

Comment

Well you have to consider that people bitten by the MMO bug will jump onto another.

But I doubt many will go from WoW -> ffxi. FFxi is dated at this point and just sailing along till its eventual mark in history.

While there are not many really big new names trying to squeeze into the MMO market, there's several of them rumbling in the rumor mil, especially with the 360 and ps3 on the horizon.

FFxi proved that cross platform is very sucesseful, to reach an audience that normally can't be reached (ps2 users that don't heavy into computers)

So at this point rather then guessing another wave of customers, should instead look to sucessors.

Comment

Fantasy Earth anyone? ^^
                    http://www.playonline.com/fe/
                    Ailleann (E)- 28MNK / 30WAR - Shiva - Bastok Rank5
                    Beauseanne(H)- 36WHM / 31BLM - Shiva - Bastok Rank5
                    >> Woodworking33; Smithing22; Alchemy16

Comment

I havnt played WOW im way to addicted to FFXI. There was a time when I wanted to quit FFXI cause I kept dying. But with some help of my friends I am now a lvl 24 rdm. Its fun and u can do all the quest of all major and small cities. Thats over 100 quest. The combination of characters that u can have is limitless.

Take The quiz yourself!

Comment

there is about 300-400 quests in FFXI if you dont count AF and WS-NMs quest. About half of them can be done level 40+, 3/4s +60, and some can only be done with an alliance of +65.

Comment

Thanks for all ya replies, gonna go buy it today! cant wait :tongue:

Comment

Wow o.O

I had WoW since April or whenever, when it was relaunched anway...

And in all that time people would expect me to have one or two lvl 60 characters, but no, I have around 20 chars level 10 to 20 >.<

I actually had FFXI last September or so, but due to it being run on a family computer, and we have recently got laptops each ^^ I got out of playing for a while, and have now forgotten my POL ID, account and p.word... So, i went to WoW as I had played WC I, II and III. But, recently my account wasn't working, so, I decided to cancel subscriptions for the moment... to pass the large amount of free time I had, I began to play FFIX and FFX/X-2 all over again, and realised how much I loved FF in general. Tomoroow I will be starting FFXI again by reactivating my original account, so I would say WoW IS an exceptionally good game, but just doesn't have the same addiction affects I find with FF (Otherwise I would have waited out for my WoW to work again).

So, hope that helps ^^ ^^ ^^

Comment

Here's the breakdown.

WoW=Instant gratification

FFXI=Long term gratification

WoW is an instant thrill and less satifying because of the lack of work. FFXI on the other hand has NO instant gratification, but I can tell you this, the satisfaction you feel when you reach lv60 in 2 weeks on WoW doesn't hold a candle to the satisfaction of dinging lv60 in FFXI after 3-6 mos. of lvl'n depending on how much you play per week.

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75
                              SMN66/COR66/WAR55/BRD55/DRK51

Stephen King's Wizard and Glass: Fools are the only folk on earth absolutely guaranteed to get what they deserve.

Comment

Working...
                              X