Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unsafe Onboard. Do You Think Could SE Could Change The Situation?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsafe Onboard. Do You Think Could SE Could Change The Situation?

Hey everyone.

A few days ago, I was in Selbina, making my way onto the boat to cross over and make my way to Windurst. There were only 2 other players besides me, (both Mithra too) and no sooner had the boat set off, than a huge Sea Monk had made its way aboard, killing both my character and one of the other 2 also.
    I'm not sure what level those Sea Monks are, but I had my highest job lvl there (25) at the time, and I kept running around trying to escape from it, and was too scared to check it to see if I could fight it or not. (When my character got killed, I headed back to my HP in Jeuno. /sigh )

Luckily, the third player didn't get killed, but they used a Tele spell to head back to their HP, as he/she seemed quite reluctant to do battle with it, and seemed a bit risky for her/him. (well, I presumed they were female, unless they were Manthra, but you can never tell really, unless you know them well enough)

Anyway, being in the situation I was in, has made me think, and has brought me to a question I would like to ask, just to find out what anyone else thinks about it.

I have been thinking that maybe SE should change the game a bit, regarding the use of the boat, so that if you find yourself in a very sticky situation (or anything similar to what happened to my character) and you need to escape a difficult creature, you should be able to by going inside, and no creatures are allowed to follow you in.

While it is at the moment, there is absolutely NO escape from a difficult creature if you get caught, and there isn't always another player onboard with a high enough lvl to sort out the problem. So I wondered what other players opinions were about this.

Should SE change it so that creatures onboard are not allowed inside to follow you, or do you think the game is fine, and doesn't really need it?
    What are your thoughts people?
    (\ /)
    ( . .)
    C('')('')

Re: Unsafe Onboard. Do You Think Could SE Could Change The Situation?

I see your whm is level 25, and I assume thats the job you were on. If you don't want to get aggroed by the Sea Horror when you open the doors, sneak yourself...

It's not like the Sea Horror can aggro you no matter where you are on the boat.

Comment

Sorry, but I have to laugh here. Mainly due to the fact that I've had the same problem.

There's the Sea Monk and the Sea Horror. One of them is the NM version. I can't remember which right now though.

The NM will hunt you down like the dog it thinks you are. It has followed me down into the cabin, while the other versions will now. After I ran laps around the ships hold, it finally got ahold of me and hovered over my Elvaan carcas as if to mock me.

I think all told, that thing's slaughtered me 3 times. However if you head up to the "Bridge" and stand up there with the "captain" you're completely safe. I've stood in there and watched some Lv.75s slaughter the NM, as well as take on the Pirate Ship. Good thing I'm Elvaan, would have been a little rough trying to get a good view as a Tarutaru!
      Odude
      PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
      RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
      SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

I think there is one place on the boat where nothing will attack you, but then you won't get to see the scenery outside.

Like Smasholays said, just Sneak yourself and it shouldn't aggro you.
        "From the void all things are born.
        To the void all things return."

-philosophy of the Walahra

Comment

I think nearly every single person that has played FFXI, has a fond (or not so fond) memory of something aggro'ing them on the Ferry. LOL For me it was the Sea Horror....twice! The first time I went on deck and was looking around when it spawned. I ran downstairs but it had already aggro'd me and I died in a hold full of people trying to NOT get aggro. Mass slaughter...I was a murderer! LOL

Second time I went into the boathouse to watch the ride. I'm safe there I thought....NOT. LOL

Oh and a little tip if you didn't do this. You can wait till the boat docks and you will appear dead on the dock. Then if some kind citizen wants to raise you they will.
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Lol. Dang. It's been ages since i rode the ferry. These stories makes me wanna pack up some fishing gear and ride a few hours. I can't solo sea horrow tho unfortunately. It's hundred fists attack suck.

I've never had the pleasure (or misfortune) of encounterring it, but ppl on my ls got stories. ^^

Btw, Sea Horror is the NM while sea monk is the regular mob.

Title: Sergeant Major
            SAM75, RNG75, PUP75, PLD60, My NPC65
            Bastok Rank 10, San d'Oria Rank 10, Windurst Rank 10
            Missions: Completed/Zilart Completed/CoP Completed/ToAU: Playing the Part-Sergeant Major
            Midgardsormr|Cactuar (MNK51)

Comment

I will protect you {master} {Samurai}!! ^^
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

SE won't do anything to change the situation. Really, all you have to do is gain some more levels or just keep Sneak on all the time and you'll be ok. Sea Monk is Lv21-29 and soloable by WHM at around 40 (I think), and the NM spawn, Sea Horror, is Lv65ish and should probably be avoided. Pirates are a different matter but again, they can be avoided by keeping Sneak up.

Comment

i just have to reply to this snowball. you have to look at this, as an experience, you will never ever forget. someday you will be sitting around with the kids or grandkids, and theyll be telling a story about a video game and how they were attacked and died. a huge smile will cross your face and youll remember how you were attacked on the boat to mhuara or selbina. you will have a story to tell them on their level. ive died several times on the boat myself but i think the last time was the most memorable. was there with a couple of friends, think i was on drk atleast mid 50's one hitting everything fished up and all full of myself and my awesomeness. i was just fooling around and joking when all of a sudden the nm popped. i was running around screaming for help like a taru school girl. needless to say this thing owned me fairly quick. best thing to do is just stay down stairs and hope no one kites it downstairs. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Minimee
                    i was running around screaming for help like a taru school girl.
                    That just made my morning!!

Odude
                    PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
                    RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
                    SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

Rofl yea...I remember a time when the Sea Horror spawned and an Elvaan DRG thought he could kill it on his own (don't know where he got that idea, he was barely even Lv 60). Anyway, I decided to sit in the cabin with the captain and watch through the windows as he got absolutely slaughtered. I was sitting there smug and warm when the damned DRG had the wonderful idea to try and run once he realized he was getting owned (as if there's anywhere to run on a boat that's about the same size as 2 Mog Houses) and ran it right to the door to the captain's cabin where I was stuck, paralyzed in fear! Needless to say, once he died and it came unclaimed, it smelled a new kind of food and was eager to chomp it down. Thank god there was a WHM that raised me at the end of the ship ride so I didn't have to HP and run all the way back to Mhaura from Windurst.

Looking back on it now while typing it in response to this thread, I was actually laughing out loud because it was definitely a hilarious experience that we've pretty much all gone through in the course of our FFXI gaming careers. It wasn't hilarious at the time, it was downright annoying actually, but you eventually learn to quit taking the game so serious, because afterall, it is just a game.

Gotta love Manaburn parties

Comment

if you would have stayed in the hold you would have been fine
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Once on a ferry ride my son got aggro from the Sea Horror through the wall while we were in the hold. I don't know if they fixed this or not since then. And if someone drags mobs to the hold your not safe either. It's best to bring some sneak oils with you no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by tomfin10
                            I think there is one place on the boat where nothing will attack you, but then you won't get to see the scenery outside.

Like Smasholays said, just Sneak yourself and it shouldn't aggro you.
                            Well. thanks for the tip. I'll have to remember this for next time.
                            Though now I have reached LvL 25, I could use invis too, just incase those things have eyes big enough to spot you. Heh heh.

Double Post Edited:
                            Originally posted by TheGrandMom
                            I will protect you {master} {Samurai}!! ^^
                            /em puts up her warning flag and attempts to shout for help, even though she knows it would be to no avail. (knowing that /shout doesn't work in FFXl when you're KO)

Double Post Edited:
                            Originally posted by TheGrandMom
                            I think nearly every single person that has played FFXI, has a fond (or not so fond) memory of something aggro'ing them on the Ferry. LOL For me it was the Sea Horror....twice! The first time I went on deck and was looking around when it spawned. I ran downstairs but it had already aggro'd me and I died in a hold full of people trying to NOT get aggro. Mass slaughter...I was a murderer! LOL

Second time I went into the boathouse to watch the ride. I'm safe there I thought....NOT. LOL

Oh and a little tip if you didn't do this. You can wait till the boat docks and you will appear dead on the dock. Then if some kind citizen wants to raise you they will.
                            Yeah, the other player who got killed, mentioned this to me too, but it was a bit too late at the time, as I had already taken myself back to my HP in Jeuno, (which I found to be quite annoying at the time) though why this other player didn't take it upon herself to take heed of her own advice, (of what she told me to do) I'll never know.
                            Infact, now you mention it, I think she should have taken it too.
                            Ahh well.... we all learn from our own mistakes, as they say.

:cool_shad

Double Post Edited:
                            Originally posted by Feenicks
                            SE won't do anything to change the situation. Really, all you have to do is gain some more levels or just keep Sneak on all the time and you'll be ok. Sea Monk is Lv21-29 and soloable by WHM at around 40 (I think), and the NM spawn, Sea Horror, is Lv65ish and should probably be avoided. Pirates are a different matter but again, they can be avoided by keeping Sneak up.

Speaking of pirates..... I saw them a couple of times in the past, when I have used the boat to travel across.
                            It's funny you mention it too, cause when they come aboard from another pirate boat/ship passing the same way, I looked across to this other ship/boat, and it was all full of WHMs casting a group of spells towards us. (they weren't close enough to hit me at the time though) I couldn't help thinking if they were a complete mirrage or reflection of my character, I didn't know why, but I was somewhat suspicous, and surprised, both at the same time.

It looked quite odd to see a bunch of WHMs on the other side, all looking exactly like my WHM.
                            Last edited by Snowball; 08-13-2005, 05:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            (\ /)
                            ( . .)
                            C('')('')

Comment

they're not WHMs. if you look closely, they are using the summon animation. they are actually summoning the skeletons that fight you on the boat!

anyway, I love all the stuff that can happen on the boat.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Working...
                              X