new to ffxi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to ffxi

hey, up until recently I've been playing ragnarok online and diablo II. I've lost interest in both games now though and Im looking for something new.

I've played ffxi for a brief time and enjoyed it so I've decided to re-visit the game.

Any suggestions on classes? Im going Hume race. I'd prefer to play something that does melee damage. xD

Also I haven't picked a server yet because I don't really know the difference. Any help is appreciated. ^.^

Re: new to ffxi

I need an image of Leia. With the ITS A TRAP nice and big and bold on it. :p

Race/Class issues are of almost no real importance in this game. Some people will tell you it is, but honestly, by the end, the differences are rather small. This isn't Phantasy Star. You can be an Elvaan mage. For serious. Whereas a Cast Forte/Acrotecher ..yeah, no. You can, but why bother? :p (I'm joking, to anyone that actually plays PSU and plays a Cast techer. I like Cast techers.)

There's quite a few melee classes though. Depends on what you like. Do you like pet jobs? Ranged combat? Tanking?

As to servers, the only real difference is slight variations in the economy, and perhaps in population. But by and large, they're all rather similar. There may be differences in how 'packed' endgame is, but I can't give any perspective on that. I never got to it before I quit.
    "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

damage dealing is my favorite thing. seeing monsters go splat.

Comment

Yeah - that's a lot of fun - remember tho that FFXI isn't a game of button pushing or reflexes - it's a game of strategy and preparation.

Know your area, know your Mobs and know your job - you'll do fine!
        sigpic

(\ /)
        ( . . )
        C(")(")
        ...Somebunny loves you....

...That's "Little Washu", Bub....

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
          Also I haven't picked a server yet because I don't really know the difference. Any help is appreciated. ^.^
          What Telera said about servers is by-and-large the rule of thumb, though I've read elsewhere on these forums [from people asking the same question] is that the newest servers (Remora, Hades) might have a larger European contingent. Something to keep in mind if that describes your location.

You're best best is to find a good LS to join on whichever you join. If you end up on Shiva, feel free to look me up (Suquamish) to get a pearl to mine.

Any suggestions on classes? Im going Hume race. I'd prefer to play something that does melee damage.
          In the long run your race doesn't factor as heavily, and Humes in particular are the do everything race. If melee is your cup-o'-tea, you probably want to start out as Monk, get your sub-job at 18, then move to Thief or Warrior.

signature by fallenintoshadows

Comment

Originally posted by Telera View Post
            As to servers, the only real difference is slight variations in the economy, and perhaps in population. But by and large, they're all rather similar. There may be differences in how 'packed' endgame is, but I can't give any perspective on that. I never got to it before I quit.
            Just don't go to Odin. >_>

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Howler View Post
              Just don't go to Odin. >_>
              They only want you to think that, Square-Enix really wants everyone to join Odin so we can watch a server implode on itself

Whiskey, let us know which server you pick. I will be starting soon and I am trying to find a server myself, any input you have about the server you join would be wonderful.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the game!

Comment

Hint: join bismarck.

(lawl)

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                ------
                Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

no no

REMORA!! :-)
                  sigpic

(\ /)
                  ( . . )
                  C(")(")
                  ...Somebunny loves you....

...That's "Little Washu", Bub....

Comment

No Lakshmi we are a poor server that needs people! and welcome to the game!
                    Name: Bluecat
                    Main Jobs:
                    SMN14, DRG8, RDM30
                    Sub Jobs: BLM13,WHM7,NIN7,SAM2,DRK4
                    Linkshell(s): (Owner) RainbowOverHolla

Comment

so odin's is the only server i should really avoid. hmmm. NEW QUESTION! which server has the most members and least botting.

Comment

Odin has the most members. Every server has botting. But only in the endgame levels, so that's nothing you have to worry about right now.

Bahamut is also rather full.

Comment

thanks for all the replies guys. helping alot. :D

Comment

the wife and i joined odin. already we got helped!!! lol... I couldn't find her at the start and this guy just randomly helped me out and showed me the basics. ^.^

Comment

Just remember to stick with the game, no matter how boring it gets. It might take months to start to have fun, but it is worth it in the end.

No, I do not have a life.

Comment

Working...
                              X