Newbieeeeee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbieeeeee

Hey all, i managed to get ff xi installed and working last night but because it was so late i had to leave it on updating.

Now when i finish work i can look forward to playing the game.!

Has anyone got any advice on a total newb to this game

What class would be best to start off as?, and also can you change your main class just like the sub?

thank you very muchly

Re: Newbieeeeee

Yea you can freely change your job. all you have to do is go to your Mog house and select change jobs on the menu. also (not sure if you know this or not) once you hit lvl 30, like im about to do, you can unlock even more jobs like summoner, ranger and samurai (theres more of them tho) whatever class that you want to start off as is the best one. the job that appeals to you should be your job choice. i started as a thief and i love it. if you would like i can get you a world pass so you can come and join me on my server. i have a linkshell that is very helpful and they have alot of experience with this game. they would be glad to answer any of your questions. and the Auction House is a great place to make money!
    -Trieu

Comment

Hey, if you want I'll give you a world pass to my server and let you join my linkshell. We're more than happy to answer any questions you may have and help as much as possible.

Depending on what you want to be eventually it differs as to what you should start off with. Think about what you want to be in the end and I'll tell you a good route to follow.

Comment

Cool thanks for the words guys :D, ummm il be happy to join any server lol

i jus wanna get to know some nice friendly people :D

im gonna be playing soooo much when i get home, im off work for the next 3 days :D

so will be a ff xi fest for the next 3 days im gonna live on it :D

so if im not helping my mum in the pub, il be online :D

*edit*

does anyone know that the GMT clock on the forum is wrong by an hour?
        Last edited by Racc; 08-21-2006, 07:57 AM. Reason: didnt want 2 double post

Comment

Originally posted by Racc
          Cool thanks for the words guys :D, ummm il be happy to join any server lol

i jus wanna get to know some nice friendly people :D

im gonna be playing soooo much when i get home, im off work for the next 3 days :D

so will be a ff xi fest for the next 3 days im gonna live on it :D

so if im not helping my mum in the pub, il be online :D
          Give me a few hours to get you a world pass and I'll PM it to you. It's a great game, you'll love it.

Comment

There's no really best class...it's what you wana play....

I will say that if you plan on using any of the Unlockable mele jobs a good thing to start as would probabaly be Warrior since it's the defacto sub for most mele jobs...followed closely by Thief(lvl 30 +), Monk(subbed by Warrior) and Ninja(not a starting class)....

Unlike most MMOs you can swap you main job back and forth at anytime...you keep every level of whatever job you've beep playing(however many) but the new main you start at lvl 1
            Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
            (have fun MMO players ^^)
            Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

ahhh cool thanks :D, il just start out as a warrior then, since it seems to be a straight forward class "(i think) lol,

what class can have a big sword on there back XD

or can any class use any weapon?

Comment

ahhh cool thanks :D, il just start out as a warrior then, since it seems to be a straight forward class "(i think) lol,

what class can have a big sword on there back XD

or can any class use any weapon?
                Big sword = Great Sword

The best jobs to use Great Sword are :

1. Dark Knight
                2. Warrior
                3. Paladin

Those are the only jobs that can use a big sword. Warrior also gets a big axe, and is also the only one of the three that is a starter job, but Dark Knights are better at using the great sword.

Comment

ahhhh thanks :D

hopefully il get to know some nice people in game :D. ive had a quick read though the manual and im unsure on this and im wondering, is there a way to control your character using a joypad? or do you have to use the numpad and mouse?

Comment

One tip I can give is get a simple craft going right off, the bat, my greatest regret was not starting a craft till after I hit 75 -.-; Chocobo digging is kinda fun, I started it recently and do it if I have free time on my Lunch hour at work, and Fishing practically goes hand in hand with cooking.

I'd say through my experience, If you like too melee, war is hands down one of the best too start with because It's one of the most useful subs to have for lvling from 1-30 with any melee job since the early lvl 1-20 there all back up tanks, Closely followed by thf and then nin. If your A mage, Whm is pretty solid to start with since just about all the mage classes will sub this, unless the whm is your main. Also don't let the cost of a class dictate what class you play, you'll regret it within a week, there's lots of ways and lots of people out there that are willing to help, you just have to speak up, be polite, and not be a mooch and give alittle back when you can.

And the best advice of all! Ask lots of questions, even if you look like a newb, the more information you have the better, and never take just one answer, some people think they know everything, even if they've never experienced it, so take the answers you get more as tips and don't take something as solid till you've tried it yourself. If you end up in Midgarsormr send a /tell to khevn, I love to show people the ropes and I can help yah with your 1-10 on your first job ^^

Edit- I Personally prefer the keyboard, It's just eassier, it takes alittle time but when you get good at it you'll be chatting with one hand and opening menus and hitting macros with the other. I only use the mouse to turn my camera angle
                    "how broken everything about ToAU is."
                    "Do you have Haruhi in your daily anime diet?"
                    "ok... I've quit 5 times... and failed each time miserably... they need a patch for FFXI like those nicotine ones...."
                    "Finally Quit this game"

Comment

Originally posted by Khevn
                      One tip I can give is get a simple craft going right off, the bat, my greatest regret was not starting a craft till after I hit 75 -.-; Chocobo digging is kinda fun, I started it recently and do it if I have free time on my Lunch hour at work, and Fishing practically goes hand in hand with cooking.

I'd say through my experience, If you like too melee, war is hands down one of the best too start with because It's one of the most useful subs to have for lvling from 1-30 with any melee job since the early lvl 1-20 there all back up tanks, Closely followed by thf and then nin. If your A mage, Whm is pretty solid to start with since just about all the mage classes will sub this, unless the whm is your main. Also don't let the cost of a class dictate what class you play, you'll regret it within a week, there's lots of ways and lots of people out there that are willing to help, you just have to speak up, be polite, and not be a mooch and give alittle back when you can.

And the best advice of all! Ask lots of questions, even if you look like a newb, the more information you have the better, and never take just one answer, some people think they know everything, even if they've never experienced it, so take the answers you get more as tips and don't take something as solid till you've tried it yourself. If you end up in Midgarsormr send a /tell to khevn, I love to show people the ropes and I can help yah with your 1-10 on your first job ^^

wooo ok thanks :D, lol i have no idea where i will turn up but il turn up somewhere

do i have to be a certain level to get a chocobo and dig?, i really cant wait to get playing lol, i love hearing peoples opinions and advice im gonna be playing from around 8.30 - 9pm GMT, til about 3am GMT XD

Comment

ahhhh thanks :D

hopefully il get to know some nice people in game :D. ive had a quick read though the manual and im unsure on this and im wondering, is there a way to control your character using a joypad? or do you have to use the numpad and mouse?
                        Yes, you can use a joypad. If you go to start > programs > Playonline > Final Fantasy XI Config there's an option for setting up a controller, I use one myself.

Comment

the best starting job in my eyes is war a good stong job to start and easy to lv and once u get sub job put a mnk for extra hp and att

oh and after u get adv jobs smn all the way ^^.

Double Post Edited:
                          also u must be lv 15 to choco and have done a quest
                          Last edited by trevorevor=1; 08-21-2006, 09:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          hey every one

dont make a whm mad he'll sit back and watch you die

Comment

ahhh thanks il do that :D

i have a joypad just like a ps2 pad so il give that a go XD

can you still use your mouse and keys though even if the joypad is configured?

or is it a case of one or the other?

Comment

Originally posted by trevorevor=1
                              also u must be lv 15 to choco and have done a quest
                              You mean level 20 to do the quest, and level 15 to ride them in the starting cities

I will live, and die by the Sword

Comment

Working...
                              X