How to Create Drama on the Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Create Drama on the Internet

This was created out of sheer boredom on my part and was inspired by a recent visit to the forum of an endgame linkshell on my server. Once again, if anyone feels compelled to use this elsewhere for any reason, I ask only that it is copied in full and that credit is given to Sharmarali of Ramuh.

There are many reasons why one may wish to create drama on the internet. Perhaps you’ve found that there is nothing on television in the middle of the afternoon worth watching. You’re bored while waiting for season one of Lost to finish downloading. Or you’ve discovered that there are very few people willing to listen to you prattle on and on about how leet you are and how many noobs you can pwn.

You need an audience. Preferably a good-sized group of people who will be outraged and react with much gusto. Your drama should take on a life of its own so that you can check back after a day or two and find dozens of responses. Ideally, it should be so profound as to cause people to forget what the original drama was about in the first place.

Generally, the preferable target is one or more high-profile members of a high-profile linkshell to which you do not presently belong. This ensures that numerous people will become involved in your created drama, while minimizing the chance that you, personally, will lose out on the opportunity to further your own lootwhoring. After all, if you pick on your OWN linkshell, they might become upset and throw you out before you’ve had an opportunity to lot on every single item that the jobs you haven’t played in 2 years can use. This will make you a sad panda.

In selecting your specific target, there are a number of methods you may choose to employ. One of the most effective methods is to visit HNM camps during their pop windows and take a look around to see who is present. Anyone with gear better than your own is a potential target. After all, you, yourself, are amazingly uberpro, and anyone who has equipped themselves better than you is obviously cheating, hacking, botting, or buying gil to get there.

So you’ve narrowed your list down to everyone with better gear than you. Be honest with yourself. You may have worked hard to get that AF2 body for your dark knight, but the fact remains that the guy with the adaman hauberk probably does marginally more damage than you. Hmm, OK, so basically everyone in Dragon Aery is a potential target… What to do, what to do.

Pay attention to the chatter in /say and /shout to determine who seems to be well-known. Ultimately, if you should inadvertently select someone who is quietly good at their job, you will find that the drama you create will backfire as many people outside the linkshell may not realize why you’re talking trash about someone they barely know. Also, watch to see who gets the claim when the HNM finally does pop. Picking on the winning team will generally yield more favorable results for your cause, but it isn’t always necessary. Watch the entire battle carefully. Oops, ok, kill that darter you aggroed when you got excited and pushed the wrong button while you were trying to make a spike flail happen because it looks so cool. And that one that linked. And… OK, now you’re dead. Well, you can work with this.

Wait around awhile and see if anyone will raise you. Hmm, you’ve been lying there awhile now. Niddhogg seems to be dead. Everyone is cheering for that guy. I bet he got something cool. You, meanwhile, were eating dirt. Doesn’t that make you angry? Doesn’t it make you want to start something on that guy? Well, the other linkshells have left now that they got the pop time. Annnnd… OK, Dragon Aery is empty and you’re still there. Nobody raised you. They’re clearly all a bunch of jerks. This is making it difficult to select a target for your drama, but you got some good information on your trip.

Now that you’ve returned to your home point, it’s time to start researching the people about whom you’re thinking of creating drama. If you are able to determine that one of them is female, bonus points! You can automatically work with the assumption that they must be cybering with SOMEONE to get free gil and loot. I mean, girls are inherently inferior to you in every way, so they cannot possibly be capable of obtaining better gear than YOU unless they’re utilizing their gender to further their FFXI career. Attacking the physical appearance of your female target is also an excellent source of fuel for your fire. You may have to use a special scale to get an accurate reading and find that soap and toothpaste are not nearly such important commodities as Cheetos and Mountain Dew, but THIS is a girl! Go for blood!

If your intended target is male, you will need to stick with more traditional accusations. A good method is to state that “a friend told me that he stole something from his friend.” This way, no one will be able to confirm or deny your statement with any degree of accuracy, nor will they be able to trace the statement to its original source and determine that it’s complete poppycock that you made up while your mother was coming downstairs into your basement “apartment” to throw your underwear in the dryer for you. Thanks Mom! Yeah, I sent out some resumes today, but nobody’s hiring. Maybe I’ll go to the temp agency tomorrow.

OK, now that the interruptions have moved on, time to get back to the important subject matter here. You’ve selected your target. You’ve chosen the method of attack. Now it’s time to move in for the kill. Visit the forum of the intended target’s linkshell. Make your post in the public forum. Be sure to give it an eye-catching title like “CHEAT!” or “I can’t believe this!” or simply use the name of the player in question followed by some slanderous statement such as “is a whore.” Remember that spelling, grammar, and punctuation don’t count when making your initial drama-inducing post. In fact, if you can manage to make your entire point without once stopping to create a separate sentence, you will gain FAR more credibility. Profanity is an effective means of communicating anger and disgust. Be sure to use lots of it. The less coherent your overall post is, the harder people will need to work to figure out what exactly the accusation is that you’re attempting to make. This will force them to pay attention. If you do choose to use punctuation, try to limit your selections to exclamation points ONLY. Don’t be afraid to use more than one! Twelve or more in a row is ideal. Whatever you do, be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that anything you say cannot be verified or confirmed in any way. You wouldn’t want anyone to be able to figure out that you’re completely full of it.

By following these simple steps, you have turned what would have been another boring couple of days into a veritable carnival of thrills which can be enjoyed at any time from the comfort of your favorite chair. Don’t be discouraged if several people ask “Who the heck are you anyway?” This is your chance to sound incredibly indignant and make clear to the world that YOU are the king of the internet, and that all must bow before you.

Carry on, King of the Internet. They may have more skills and gear than you, but you have something much better. You have clean underwear!
    召75|吟75|黒75|赤75|戦72|白60|獣40|忍37| 暗37|シ37|ナ32|侍30|モ30|竜21|青14||か8| 狩7|コ7
    San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Re: How to Create Drama on the Internet

Thats awesome

You just got to love people who think they are so big and bad behind the keyboard,because they know they cant back up what they say irl, its all their bent up frustrations for being such a failure irl that they have to take it out over the internet. They think just because they are in the safety of their room and behind their keyboard that they are free to just be complete assholes, (which they are, but these kind of people need to go ahead and die in a fire for having absolutely no social life anyway)

So while these people hide behind their keyboards, think they are so big and bad behind their keyboards when really irl they are frustrated adults still living with their parents, im out enjoying life and the thought of them not even crossing my mind until i come home and sit at the computer and see them stroking their epeens.

Good OP.
    62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Comment

Last edited by Boldfinger; 12-21-2023, 06:59 PM.
      It's too orangey for crows, it's just for me and my dog...

Originally posted by sevenpointflaw
      Momma used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Now she says, "If you don't have anything nice to say, go post in Killing Ifrit."

Comment

Methinks there's some sort of background story behind this, but I'm not sure I really want to hear it.
        sigpic
        ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
        ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
        ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
        ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
          Methinks there's some sort of background story behind this, but I'm not sure I really want to hear it.
          I thought the same thing from the begining :3
          signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

To summarize the o.p

Comment

win, lol
              62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Comment

The funny thing about people who start forum drama is the fact is how offended they get for thier little "Crusades for Great Justice" recieving backlash, criticism and discipline to the point of being banned.

Of course, the best part is the "moderator/admin/shellholder/sackholder has a secret agenda" bit these people try to pull. I've had it happen to me on both ends.

Example 1:

I was an officer in a sky linkshell. Our rules were simple - any time you wanted to farm sky, you could farm triggers and be awarded points for showing us the new triggers. We also had scheduled farming times. Lots of people took advantage and got points by the other means. Others didn't and only showed for when it was scheduled. So those that put in the most work, got the point and what they needed.

I was one of said people, as were many officers. But eventually, it came to the point we were "giving ourselves extra points."

Of course this wasn't coming from the people who farmed sky on thier own time, nor was it coming from the people who showed up to scheduled farming.

It came from the people who only ever showed up to fight gods. Yeah, you got points for fighting gods, too, but that wasn't the whole means of gaining. Our system was simply "You get back what you put in" so if you put in minimal effort, you got nothing.

Yet I'm somehow the bad guy when I have Seiryu's Kote, CFGs when there were only two other RNGs in the LS that also eventually got them and no MNKs wanted Suzaku's Sune-Ates. Yeah, I'm a total portrait of officer corruption here.

Example 2:

I'm an Administrator for Limit Break Radio. My job is, more or less, not terribly different from moderators and admins here at Div. I step in where needed to enforce rules where needed, move disruptive threads, hand out warning and, if bans are needed, put it up for a vote on the staff forum.

I do the work there because of my friendships with the hosts and people I know there, as well as the love of the game. That's the basis of any privately owned and operated fansite.

So we had this guy who used to be on staff. Eventually the staff had to remove him for personal reasons, but kept him as a user because they still saw him as a contributor.

But then he stuck his nose into the personal business of other members, even the hosts and made these personal matters public on the forums. He also fell for a girl there and she was having a bad day and shot him down.

Every now and then, he would make inflammatory posts on our forums, he would break the rules and we would reprimand him. Sometimes I think he definately wandered into ban territory, but the staff tied my hands from doing so. They'd always find a reason, point out a good point he made in the midst of his flames.

Eventually it just went too far, he started to have some really wild fantasies about our staff plotting against him when the truth was the opposite - every exception and mercy was given and it finally had just worn thin. He made an attack on one of his usual targets and then a few more, including myself, which had nothing to do with the topic he was posting in.

Obviously, this is just someone speaking his opinion and calling somone an "AIDS-infested cuntrag" isn't against our rules.

Seeing as I helped write the rules, I have to kinda disagree. I don't want a forum where personal attacks are the norm, if I did want that, I'd moderate for Killing Ifrit or Allakazham.

Smaller community sites tend to have better moderation. Just the way it is. You can think we're elitists or censors, but we're just enforcing the rules we laid out. We're not going to be like a mainstream site where flaming is the norm. Posting is a privelege, not a right and when you consent to our rules you are expected to abide by them.
                Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 03-16-2008, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Honestly, all you have to do is find a board or whatnot that has a fair number of women and/or girls frequenting it, wait for a suitable thread and post "A woman's place is in the kitchen" or "A woman should be bare foot and pregnant," or variations thereof and you have instant entertainment.

There are a lot of hot button topics that can start crap up, but honestly the variations of the above are pretty much guaranteed to do it.
                  I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                    Nah, I just saw this sort of thing happen one too many times and it tickled me in just the right way this time. Rather than becoming enraged and adding to the idiot's entertainment, I wrote this essay... lol
                    召75|吟75|黒75|赤75|戦72|白60|獣40|忍37| 暗37|シ37|ナ32|侍30|モ30|竜21|青14||か8| 狩7|コ7
                    San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Comment

wait for a suitable thread and post "A woman's place is in the kitchen" or "A woman should be bare foot and pregnant," or variations thereof and you have instant entertainment.

There are a lot of hot button topics that can start crap up, but honestly the variations of the above are pretty much guaranteed to do it.
                      <<<< Is currently barefoot and pregnant. I'd fail in that thread.
                      Originally Posted by Neosutra
                      Jesus Christ guys, no one will get banned from this Salvage dupe. It isnt trackable, it isnt traceable, and you dont alter any game mechanics to do it. Anyone thinking people will get banned is a fucking moron.
                      Bard 75 ~ Bard Relic: 4/5 ~ Windy Rank 10

Comment

Originally posted by Iarendiel View Post
                        <<<< Is currently barefoot and pregnant. I'd fail in that thread.
                        <<<< Is not the reason for the above post....
                        [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

There was reason to think otherwise?

/methinks he doth protest too much.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                            There was reason to think otherwise?

/methinks he doth protest too much.
                            You have been in a linkshell with me...
                            [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

/actually refrains from making the obvious rude comments.

loose

Comment

Working...
                              X