This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ffxi portable

With the way tech has grown and is growing, you think maybe some one out there could make a portable system strickly to use ffxi? would be legendary and i would pay for that.

---------- Post added at 03:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 AM ----------

Come on ben hur, i challenge you lol

Re: ffxi portable

In short:
    Possible, yes.
    Probable, no.

Reason #1 Too expensive.
    They'll need to make a specific handheld for ffxi, which needs to be upgradable, on which you need to be able to install expansions, updates and add ons.
    Basically they'll need to build a mobile pc, for the price a normal person can buy a laptop which is able to play ffxi.

Reason #2 Too dependent on other parties (IE Mobile internet providers)
    You'll need at least UMTS/HSPA to sustain a stable connection with playonline and have a bit of playability.
    That is not yet covered everywhere, nor will it be in the near future.
    GPRS and dial up from mobile locations is too slow.
    Aside from that most providers either put a hard datacap on their accounts, work with a fair user policy or limit the time you may use their connection.

Reason#3 The most important part: There is not a big enough market for it.
    Quetzalcoatl Server | WHM 80 | SMN 76 | NIN 75

Comment

Plus it would need to have about 40+GB of hard drive space to run all the expansions. FFXI takes up about 8GB for each expansion, I believe mine takes up about 40GB. I had to buy a new hard drive for my laptop 2 weeks ago because all 52GB drive C: had on it was FFXI and Windows XP basically.

This post was deleted by Mhurron.
      Last edited by Durahansolo; 04-17-2009, 04:28 AM.
      {New Sig in the works}
      -----------------------
      "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
      "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
      Originally posted by Solymir
      What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
        Plus it would need to have about 40+GB of hard drive space to run all the expansions. FFXI takes up about 8GB for each expansion, I believe mine takes up about 40GB. I had to buy a new hard drive for my laptop 2 weeks ago because all 52GB drive C: had on it was FFXI and Windows XP basically.
        10GB, which would still allow 1 GB for temp space and downloads. My PoL folder is 8.9GB.

FFXI does not take up 8gb per expansion, they're a few hundred MB.

OP: Why in the hell would I choose to play on a 5" screen?
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
          10GB, which would still allow 1 GB for temp space and downloads. My PoL folder is 8.9GB.

FFXI does not take up 8gb per expansion, they're a few hundred MB.

OP: Why in the hell would I choose to play on a 5" screen?
          Never actually checked the size of the actual folder but I know each one of the expansions has 8GB listed next to it under the Add/Remove Progrms exe.

Anyways everybody forget what I previously said in the other post. >_>
          {New Sig in the works}
          -----------------------
          "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

"Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
            Never actually checked the size of the actual folder but I know each one of the expansions has 8GB listed next to it under the Add/Remove Progrms exe.
            Windows is so nice to count your entire game

I believe AU was 2 gigs worth, but Wotg was only 345 megs or something.
            Quetzalcoatl Server | WHM 80 | SMN 76 | NIN 75

Comment

Originally posted by Shirai View Post
              Windows is so nice to count your entire game

I believe AU was 2 gigs worth, but Wotg was only 345 megs or something.
              LOL now I wonder what is really clogging up C: then. Guess I'll have to do some data mining tomorrow.
              Last edited by Durahansolo; 04-17-2009, 05:10 AM.
              {New Sig in the works}
              -----------------------

Comment

So, like, a PC, only somehow... portable? WTFLOL no one's ever gonna make those.

Just buy a netbook. Anything without a keyboard is gimped, anything with a keyboard is going to end up that big anyway.
                Ellipses on Fenrir
                There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                . . .

Comment

You could try a UMPC.

Preferably one of the ones where the screen slides to show a keyboard.

Expensive experiment, just to see if it works-- expensive toy if it does.

Comment

Asus N10J A2 - Atom N270 1.6 GHz - 10.2 Laptop reviews - CNET Reviews

This would probably the closest your gonna get. Plug a USB DVD drive into it, load up FFXI, and then play it where ever. HDMI output, 2gigs of ram,etc.
                    gotta think, FFXI was designed to max out with the pentium III/IV, and a 6800GT graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post
                      Asus N10J A2 - Atom N270 1.6 GHz - 10.2 Laptop reviews - CNET Reviews

This would probably the closest your gonna get. Plug a USB DVD drive into it, load up FFXI, and then play it where ever. HDMI output, 2gigs of ram,etc.
                      gotta think, FFXI was designed to max out with the pentium III/IV, and a 6800GT graphics card.
                      The 6 series didn't even exist when FFXI was created.

Minimum requirements for FFXI are:
                      P3 800
                      256MB ram
                      Soundblaster card made after '98
                      A GeForce card or comparable ATI.
                      56k modem.
                      Or a PS2.

Honestly you're going to have a harder time finding a machine made in the past 4 years that won't run FFXI.

The PSP has the hardware power to do it, but again, why would you? 800x600 hardly gives you enough space to enjoy the game, why would you want to play on something smaller?
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

To be honest, think you maybe approaching it the wrong way. Take the lazy way out, and have a blackberry like device and remote into a system. Just have the mobile device act as the screen and key controls and the remote system do all the real work.

Hmm, maybe SE can make it work for the iPhone and Blackberry.
                        Midgard:
                        75SMN\5XWHM\37BLM\37RDM\the rest 15+

WOW:
                        80 PLD\80 DRU\60Mage\60 Shamen\the rest 30+

RL:
                        lvl 75 - EE\CMPE\CMPSCI

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                          The PSP has the hardware power to do it, but again, why would you? 800x600 hardly gives you enough space to enjoy the game, why would you want to play on something smaller?
                          Because someone might buy something while I'm brushing my teeth. I need to check my mules right now.
                          Ellipses on Fenrir
                          There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                          . . .

Comment

FFXI would need it's UI to be at the very least reworked in order to function on PSP, and possibly overhauled. Shoving chat windows to the absolute bottom, smaller buttons, more usage of icons instead of words, and so on. And they'd have to have some sort of keyboard attachment (probably like the 360 thumb pad) to plug in underneath the PSP, and most people aren't going to have memory sticks larger than 8GB (probably not a problem, smaller system could have stuff more compressed without being too bad). Then you'd also have to deal with either very expensive digital distribution or very troublesome UMD distribution. Maybe SE could get away with selling memory sticks, but a lot of people wouldn't appreciate having to swap them out.

Long story short, not worth it for SE at all; especially when they could be porting it to far more viable and popular platforms (PS3, Wii, Mac, Linux. Yes, Wii is viable now that it supports SDHC up to 32GB; and no, it wouldn't need motion controls. Wii USB ports would work just fine for keyboard.) with such little effort (I'd imagine Wii would take the most effort, and there are tons of PS2 ports on it already-- Mac and Linux could be done with Winelib or whatever company it was EVE outsourced to-- Cedega?). It would probably be more profitable to try to make a version of FFXI that runs off the DVD drive of a PSTwo than to make a PSP version. Hell, with the effort it would take to get FF11 working on PSP and then having to maintain it, they could probably make an entirely new game, such as a Monster Hunter killer.

Comment

The closest you will get to see that is if you buy one of these mini laptops. the specs on this one should be able to do it.
                              Acer Aspire One AOA150-1777
                              - Intel Atom™ Processor N270 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, 8.9" WSVGA, Windows® XP Home,
                              Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 should do it with low res. and other setings.
                              I myself have not tried it, but once i get the funds i will purchase one to try it.
                              sigpicSolidous! from Laksmi
                              CoP: O ZM:O Sandy: 9-1 ToAU:29 WoTG: 15 ACP:O AMK: O
                              BLM:95 THF:95 DRK:95 RNG:82
                              RDM:95 WHM:95 WAR:60 Nin:92
                              SAM:50 BLU:95 DNC:49
                              PUP:32 PLD:15 DRG:10
                              MNK:22 SCH:6 COR:28

Comment

Working...
                              X