Worth picking up now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth picking up now?

So I just bought a copy of ff11, only the original, and was wondering if its worth playing though and picking up all the expansions?

I started a white mage, I am probably just bad but I coudln't kill anything =(
    Now I have a lvl 6 black mage... i find a have to rest after every 2 - 3 kills and resting takes a lONG time... and feel like i have been playing for hours and still only lvl 6... Am I doing sumthing wrong? missing sumthing?

My first impressions are that its going to take me a long long long time to get to max lvl and it seems boring as hell..

Im a huge fan of the final fantasy series, and always wanted to play ff11, but I ended up settling for warcraft and have been playing htat for 3 years now have a few 70's and im pretty bored with it...

Whats everyones opinions on starting ff11 now??

Re: Worth picking up now?

You have to rest every few minutes because you are approaching BLM leveling wrong. Trying killing easy prey mobs with your weapon instead of using your magic every fight.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
    ------
    Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
    When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

you might also want to experiment with other jobs. MNK, for example, will level at an insane pace in the first few levels, even naked. Once you get used to fighting on another job (BLM is, imo, the worst job to start with), you can switch back.

Comment

ok great! ill give it a shot

Comment

While the two games share the fantasy genre, the mechanics of the two are very far apart. Where WoW is friendly to the casual player allowing many avenues to max level, FFXI requires a bit more effort to advance, and isn't nearly as friendly to the solo player (some might call it outright hostile).

Originally posted by NIKKIBEAR
          I started a white mage, I am probably just bad but I coudln't kill anything
          I doubt you are bad at playing the game. If you really couldn't kill anything, you were simply attacking critters that were far too tough for you.

Mages are, more or less, the least robust jobs in the game -- at least starting out. This makes them particularly rough to level up in the beginning [so you can start partying with other people].

You're best bet is to not rely on your magic as heavily, and stick with the weaker prey (monsters that check Easy Prey)
          Last edited by Gentoo; 07-28-2008, 06:41 PM.

signature by fallenintoshadows

Comment

Whats a good server to play on, if i want to party while i level?

I'm more interested in getting to the end game content, I know there are a lot of mods for warcraft to make lvling/raiding more efficent? Is this the same for FF? Also wat are the differences between engame here and WoW? Sorry i have heaps of questions! lol

EDIT: also the graphics look terrible on my computer, its not a problem with my computer i run WoW on full settings fine... But when i see SS of ff they dont like half as bad as what im seeing...
            I read that its just the lower parts of the game (pre-xpacs) is this true?
            Last edited by NIKKIBEAR; 07-28-2008, 10:44 PM.

Comment

try changing the res settings of your game

Do not compare FFXI to WoW, you will be disappointed, both are the same genre but arguably different to the point of not making any sense to people who are used to mainstream mmorpgs.
              signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
                try changing the res settings of your game
                I tried this, it made the text better but not the actual graphics! nvm tho I think im gonna keep playing, hopefully sumthing will pull me in, ty for everyones help

Comment

there are two res settings, raise both of them to their max and remember FFXI is outdated by now in that department.
                  signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by NIKKIBEAR View Post
                    I'm more interested in getting to the end game content, I know there are a lot of mods for warcraft to make lvling/raiding more efficent? Is this the same for FF? Also wat are the differences between engame here and WoW?
                    Mods/hacks/cheats/bots of any kind are against the ToS and can be a bannable offense. Windower (unofficial) is technically against the ToS, but there's really a very little chance of being caught.

The differences between WoW engame and FFXI? Probably far too many to list. Take Balfree's advice and stop comparing WoW and FFXI right now; it will do you no good and most FFXI players get annoyed by the "Well in WoW I can do this..." kind of players.

At least I do.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                    ------
                    Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                    When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

sorry, i was just trying to get a better understanding of what im in for,
                      Anyway, I made myself a monk Lots lots faster and easier than my mage, and the elf city was a lot easier to find quests and there were more monsters outside for my to beat on :D Really happy thnx !

Comment

Working...
                      X