No announcement yet.

Installing FFXI on multiple computers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing FFXI on multiple computers?

So I'm building a media center PC out of an older HP tower I upgraded, and I was wondering if I could install FFXI using the same discs I already have or am I going to need to buy a new copy with a new registration code? I'm only going to be playing the same account I already have registered on my regular PC, so I'm not sure if I need a unique registration code...

Thanks for any help...
    I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
    -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
    http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Re: Installing FFXI on multiple computers?

I do know that you will be able to install the software no problem, but I'm not sure if it is technically legal or not.

I think you're okay, though.
    Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
    I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

I have the game installed on 2 machines, my home one and the one I use at my b/f... I only use the one account, and I have no issues.

Originally posted by Aksannyi
      "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

Yeah your fine, you don't need to buy a new copy, Im using the same account on my 360 and PC. You don't need to input the cd key in again when your just installing it.

FFXI: Shadowffvi | Server: Sylph | 25THF/10WAR | Rank 2

Comment

Square-Enix generally doesn't seem to care whether you have one copy or ten copies running as long as you pay your monthly fees.

Icemage

Comment

As far as "legal" is concerned, since you can only use your account on one of those two machines at any given time, you will still ever only have one "active" license. Technically, you could install it on 100 computers and it wouldn't matter. The Account ID is the equivalent of a "seat" license that a lot of commercial software uses. Since it's an MMORPG, there's really no way for you to "pirate" FFXI since you have to have your own key for each expansion you play and you have to connect to SE's servers in order to play.

Comment

Thanks for the help everybody, now I've got another question ^^

I have the old vanadiel collection (FFXI, CoP, and RotZ) and a seperate disc for ToAU...am I going to have to sit through 6 hours of updates to the original disc and expansions, THEN install ToAU and update that seperately? Or can I install both and update the whole shebang at one time?

Probably a dumb question, but I can't remember if you have to update during the install or only when you get ready to log in for the first time.

Man oh man I can't wait to play this on my 32" LCD ^^

Check out my blog! =>

Comment

Install all of the discs, log on, then go watch a movie.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Effedup View Post
                  I have the old vanadiel collection (FFXI, CoP, and RotZ) and a seperate disc for ToAU...am I going to have to sit through 6 hours of updates to the original disc and expansions, THEN install ToAU and update that seperately? Or can I install both and update the whole shebang at one time?
                  Yep you can install both before logging in to perform the update, that'll save you a lot of time.

Best you can do is either copy your Playonline folder to a spare HDD or simply use the one in your current PC, then after the installation from Vana collection and ToAU is done just replace the Playonline folder with your backup.

After that just log in and the game will perform a file check and a minor update but it wont download everything again.
                  sigpic
                  "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                  Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by FatCharlie View Post
                    Install all of the discs, log on, then go watch a movie.
                    Make that two movies...

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
                      Yep you can install both before logging in to perform the update, that'll save you a lot of time.

Best you can do is either copy your Playonline folder to a spare HDD or simply use the one in your current PC, then after the installation from Vana collection and ToAU is done just replace the Playonline folder with your backup.

After that just log in and the game will perform a file check and a minor update but it wont download everything again.
                      Wow, you know that never even occured to me to copy the folder...that'd prolly be good, too, cause aren't macros and user settings stored on your hdd as well? Man, that'd be sweet, because I have a LOT of macros ^^

You say copy to spare hdd, but I could burn it to a dvd as well, couldn't I? Assuming so...

Thanks for your help! ^^

Check out my blog! =>

Comment

Yes you can copy it to basically whatever you want. I forgot to do all that when I formatted a few months ago. With a high speed connection though, it only took a little over 2 hours to update everything (with the first vanadiel collection and separate AU discs).
                        Oh and yes, your macros should be in there as well. That was fun, rebuilding several pallettes of macros when I got everything installed again :/
                        I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Working...
                        X