Help with loading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with loading.

I was going to give my friend the software to load for 2007 edition, but it won't work because he doesn't have a dvd-rom.(I had to buy one.) I'm going to give him the paper to load the original game online(2007 came with), but what expansion packs work without having a dvd-rom? I heard only two of the three need just a cd-rom, not a dvd-rom to load, but which ones? Thanks for all help.

Simply spellbound. . .

Re: Help with loading.

Huh?

My understanding is that the 2007 Vana'diel Collection includes a Buddy Pass that allows someone to activate plain vanilla FFXI (no expansions) for a 30 day free trial. Even with a DVD-ROM drive, your friend cannot access any expansion content using that code. If he wants to access the expansions, he'll have to buy the game himself, with any/all expansions that he wants.

Icemage

Comment

That is what I am saying. He loaded the vanilla game, and wants the expansions that would work for his computer. That don't need a dvd-rom, and he then can go buy them, and be sure they will work. My question is what expansions need a dvdrom and which ones need a cdrom.

Simply spellbound. . .

Comment

Here's an idea: Get a DVD-ROM drive.
        Doesn't get better than this
        If you're friend can't afford a $18 (plus S&H) drive, he probably can't afford to actually play the game, so this thread becomes obsolete anyway.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
        ------
        Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
        When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Originally posted by spellboundwrath713 View Post
          That is what I am saying. He loaded the vanilla game, and wants the expansions that would work for his computer. That don't need a dvd-rom, and he then can go buy them, and be sure they will work. My question is what expansions need a dvdrom and which ones need a cdrom.
          See, and that's just what we're saying. He can't play the expansions without buying the full game anyway. And since the full game comes on DVD-ROM, he can't install them without.

The buddy pass is just a teaser. It's a way for someone to play the game for a month, see if they like it, and if possible, tempt them to get the game. You don't need any of the expansions to play, so the buddy pass version is more than enough to give your friend an idea of the gameplay.

Seriously though, just have him buy a DVD drive. They aren't expensive.

Comment

Thanks for all of your help everybody. This is a bit off subject, but I rather post here then spam with another thread.

If I was to buy an old game of ff for my computer, and it says the requirements are Windows Me / 95 / 98 ,and I have XP, would the game work for my computer? The game (ffVIII)was released before XP was made before XP was so I wouldn't know.

Simply spellbound. . .

Comment

Should be just fine.

Comment

FFVIII works fine, FFVII had a problem on XP IIRC.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Working...
                X