Worth of buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worth of buying?

FFXI's "guilds" are Linkshells (LSes). They don't have as many features as guilds in most MMORPGs. You get items called Linkpearls, and you can equip one at a time (so you can be a "member" of multiple LSes, but only active on one at a time). This lets you communicate with other people with that Linkpearl equipped. Technically, it's basically a little more structured than a chat channel. People put more into them than is in the game, really. You'll have event/mission/quest LSes, chat LSes, "family" LSes, roleplaying LSes, etc. Most of them have forums of some sort to hash out the details of things the in-game system isn't very good at (for example, there's no way to do any LS functions with/to any LS member who isn't currently online with the LS equipped).

Mining involves buying pickaxes, going to somewhere with mining points, finding a mining point, and trading the pickaxe to it. Mining points support random numbers of mining attempts, which may or may not give you an item, and may or may not break your pickaxe (so you carry lots of pickaxes). There's gear available that reduces the number of breaks you get. There's also Harvesting, Excavating, and Logging, which act the same as mining. You'll hear them referred to collectively as HELM sometimes.

Cooking is just another craft. You find a recipe of a level you can handle (up to 15 levels above your current skill, though 1-5 above is best). Recipes are one crystal and up to eight different kinds of ingredients, possibly multiple numbers of each kind of ingredient. Here is a sample cooking item. You have a chance to succeed, fail, or HQ (high quality) any recipe depending on your level. If you fail, you always lose the crystal, and there is a chance you'll lose ingredients as well. Some recipes don't have a HQ result, so HQing them is the same as a regular success.

Unfortunately, the idiots and rude players are not confined to a single server. The mix among servers for any category of human being you could come up with is pretty even across all servers.

Double Post Edited:
    Also, like others have said, don't write off any job until you've tried it. You can't really get a good idea of how a job plays or how boring/non-boring it is until you're actually playing it. White Mage and Red Mage are two of the busiest, must-react-right-now jobs in the game, and Bard is one of the most (if not the most) repetitive.
    Last edited by Ellipses; 06-30-2006, 04:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Comment

We hadn´t time to go to gaming store ´cause Dad had to go quickly home for some work thing ;( I order it today if Dad lets me and i truly hope so...
      Idzor RDM/11
      Ladacroft WAR/9
      Tataki BLM/3

First is mine, 2nd and 3rd are my brothers.

Fishing is one of the best things in the game, sadly im a bastoker...

Comment

Wohoo! Orderd it It should arrive in 2-4 workdays and it did cist only 12.8€ + shipping (3€) so it´s about 19$
        Idzor RDM/11
        Ladacroft WAR/9
        Tataki BLM/3

Comment

o.O; did you buy the right game? that cheap? With the expansions or just the main game? O.o
          signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Yeah i ordered the one with expansions from here: http://www.dose.net/Dose_Product.asp?productId=102092 But they only send their products to finland. There was too a store that sold FFXI 9.95€ but all were sold already...
            Idzor RDM/11
            Ladacroft WAR/9
            Tataki BLM/3

Comment

the collection is 19.99 US for Original game, Zilart and Promethia.

And this thread made that area behind my eyeballs hurt.

Comment

I´ve been reading this forum lil bit and here is one question again: Can i replace example armor image files with my own?
                Idzor RDM/11
                Ladacroft WAR/9
                Tataki BLM/3

Comment

Originally posted by Idzor
                  I´ve been reading this forum lil bit and here is one question again: Can i replace example armor image files with my own?
                  Yes you can.

Comment

You certainly have alot of questions

Might i suggest playing the game? :-P many of these questions will be answered in natural ways, and you will find them out yourself after a couple days of playing, just go out there and start the grind.

Comment

I have to wait before i get it... Slow post... Can i get banned if i replace those pics?
                      Idzor RDM/11
                      Ladacroft WAR/9
                      Tataki BLM/3

Comment

Can i get banned for using own .dat files???
                        Idzor RDM/11
                        Ladacroft WAR/9
                        Tataki BLM/3

Comment

Originally posted by Idzor
                          Can i get banned for using own .dat files???
                          Technically it's against the rules, but since .dat changes are all client side, there is no real way (that I know of) for SE to ever detect it. So you should be fine.

If it were a really serious violation of the rules, we wouldn't have a forum here for it.

Comment

Okay, thx
                            Idzor RDM/11
                            Ladacroft WAR/9
                            Tataki BLM/3

Comment

The Game arrived today but when i´m trying to use playonline viewer, i can hear the music, but the window of software stays black, couple of times it has shown up, but now i´m stuck in registration ´cause i cant see anything now I hope someone knows how to gwt POL viewer visible...

My computer: amd athlon 64 3700+, GeForce 7600gt <-- Should be enough, or is it too much???

Double Post Edited:
                              And when i close POL viewer, computer crashes...

Okay, now i noticved that when i start registration comes text(Something like this): Your information will be collected by using SEL 128 bit technology. My Computer supports 64bit technology, so how to change it to 64bit or lower???

Double Post Edited:
                              lol! It works when i keep "Start Menu" opened :D
                              Last edited by Idzor; 07-07-2006, 12:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              Idzor RDM/11
                              Ladacroft WAR/9
                              Tataki BLM/3

Comment

Get updated drivers, that doesnt seem to be related to anything else than that..

Comment

Working...
                                X