This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions...

1. I used to play this game, back when I had my better video card (Radion 9600XT) and now I am stuck on this lousy Geforce4 MX, for reasons I don't feel like getting into. However, i kind of want to play again. I am curious how the game might run. Does anyone here play with a Geforce4 MX? I tried the benchmark but its just not the same as actually playing the game.

1a. Also with number one, I like playing games at my desktops resolution (1024x768). If I say, turned the quality to low or something, would that resolution still give me playable framerates?

1b. Sorry for keeping #1 going like this, but I recall when the graphics were set low (or the resolution, I can't remember) the graphics got really grainy. Almost to the point is which it hurt your eyes just to run around. Does it still do that? It'd be nice to know since it'll probably be something I will have to deal with, should I start playing again.

2. I have been dabbling in games like WoW and Guild Wars lately, since I am the kind of person that generally hates grind. That ended pretty fast because I just get tired of the same old kill this, level that. However I love grouping, joining guilds (or linkshells ) and being around a nice community. From many places I hear (and from personal experience) that FFXI has turned into the kind of game where it takes forever to level, and do well in, but the community is very nice. Also heard that grouping is basically required.

Whats my question(s) for #2? Well, simply put... is the information above true? I love to group, but I generally get tired of grind well before the max level limit, especially if it's hard to find groups. Would someone like me have a hard time adjusting if I were to come back?

3. I dont have the latest expansion, I only currently have the FFXI+Zilart PC combo (from a while ago). Will I be missing out on a lot without the newest expansion, and will I have hours and hours of patches too wait through?

Well, thats about it for now. Please answer my questions if you get a chance

Re: Questions...

1. I play 800x600 on my geforce 4mx back-up box. 1024x768 staggers too much for my liking.
    1b. You can up the mip-map setting by editing the registry and that'll get rid of most of the shimmering. However, with the geforce 4mx, don't expect to push this too high.

2. true. probably would have a hard time adjusting.

3. won't really miss out without CoP (i still don't have it), but yes, you'll have hours of patching to do.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

1. I use geforce4 Ti. I don't know how different the MX would be but the game is really playable on my card. I play at 1024 too. I think you can get away with high-resolution but compressed textures. I play on low quality textures too and the game looks fine. Turning off shadows/weather in game will help even more.

2. kinda true.
      Cooperative party play is the only way to level at decent speed in this game. You rely a lot on other players. On bad days, you might not get any invites or end up in the middle of bad players and this can really turn anyone down. Sometimes certain jobs will be lacking etc many little things that can happen.
      However on a good side, if you end up among good players in a decenet group, it can be really fun too.
      Now it's up to you, if you're willing to accept the bad part of the game, and if you think the good part is worth it.

And yea since this game you'll be relying on others a lot, the community is pretty strong. Many close knit LS out there.

3. Zilart will be more than enough for the most cases. The last 6 months, I only go to the Chains of Promethia for like 3 times.... It's not needed at all.
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Jei
        1. I use geforce4 Ti. I don't know how different the MX would be but the game is really playable on my card. I play at 1024 too. I think you can get away with high-resolution but compressed textures. I play on low quality textures too and the game looks fine. Turning off shadows/weather in game will help even more.
        I'm just going to jump in here quick. The MX is considerably worse then the Geforce4 Ti. This is basically my backup card, but my Radeon 9600XT is unusable at the moment so I am stuck with the Geforce4 MX until I do something about it. If theres a way to reduce or get rid of the grainy-ness, I am usually more then happy to play with lower quality settings.

Good to hear I don't absolutely have to have CoP, though if I do come back, it's probably something to consider getting.

Comment

Hmm. I wonder if the price will drop any on the CoP standalone package now that it's bundled into the $30 DVD package?
          Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
          DRK99,DNC91,THF90
          Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
          Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
          WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
          Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
          All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
          Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
          Clothcraft 24
          Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
          BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

just buy a new video card. both cards are ancient technology nowadays.
            滅殺

Comment

Well, the problem doesnt lie in the Radeon 9600XT, but rather the PC I am trying to put it into. I need a new PSU and not only do I not want to try installing a new one (I *thought* I almost broke the one PC just putting in a video card) but I also have no money to buy it or another video card for that matter. So the old "just get a better card" line doesnt really mean much to me.

Thanks for all the answers everyone!

Comment

Working...
              X