This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom DAT Model Viewer

If you recall, the other day I had mentioned that I was working on altering the Model Viewer to accomadate recent updates, but, as it turns out, Phabin already did so (Sorry about that Phabin, everyone always links to Folye's site...). So, that gave me an idea: what if there was a Model Viewer that was designed to view the files in the DAT Collection? It would cut down on the file size of the DAT Collection, because pictures wouldn't have to be provided in the Collection; the only downside is that the collection would have to be reorganized.

The Model Viewer works by placing each of the seperate sections (Normal Elvaan♀, Adult 18+ Tarutaru, Avatars & Monsters, etc.) into a numbered folder, numbered 300-330. These folders can be easily unpacked and installed into the Final Fantasy XI DATs folder. Each of the files contained in the folder is then assigned a number, just like the game's core files. The Viewer is designed so that it only opens files 300 and over, and since the game itself has no files with numbers this high, it has no effect on the way the game plays.

The downsides to this new organization system are that the DATs have to be crossreferenced through the viewer instead of being clearly labeled. Sadly, labeling the files with practical names seems to prevent the Model Viewer from reading them properly. Although I'm sure that people who alter FFXI files regularly are used to having to use the Model Viewer as a go-between.

There are a few questions I would like to ask about the design of it, assuming that anyone's willing to use it: Should the Custom DAT Model Viewer use the original Model Viewer lists and add on the Custom DATs at the end, or should the Custom Model Viewer only display the the DATs from the DAT Collection? Being able to use it as a normal Model Viewer and a custom one has obvious advantages, as you can alter any existing model with the same program, but it has the downside of requiring the player to scroll through every existing model that they could have merely viewed with the original before getting to the custom material. Another problem is with the Adult material - should there be a seperate program without it for people who don't want to look through it whenever making adjustments? I currently have it set up so that the nonobjectionable material appears at the topand the Adult material is clearly marked, but there's still the chance of horrible accidents...

Double Post Edited:
    Sorry for the double post, but I've noticed the majority of you wanted the original lists combined with the new lists; the question is, which one do you want listed first?
    It's too much work for too little benefit.
    17.14%
    It's sounds good, but it should have the original included with it.
    40.00%
    It's fine as it is.
    14.29%
    It needs to have the objectionable material removed.
    0.00%
    It needs to have the original game files, and no objectionable material.
    5.71%
    There should be a seperate viewer for the normal and objectionable material.
    22.86%
    Last edited by Falnax; 02-05-2006, 04:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Current Custom Model Viewer Progress:

Hume ♂: 39/121
    Hume ♀: 375/698
    Elvaan ♂: 86/126
    Elvaan ♀: COMPLETE!
    Tarutaru: 20/191
    Mithra: 146/638
    Galka: 35/68

Re: Custom DAT Model Viewer

I think your idea is great, but I think what you are looking for is a Modelviewer that can read dats directly and separately (instead of from a serial list) and show us what they look like by themselves (ie. a pair of hume shoes w/out displaying the hume wearing them). Would also be nice if it could dat>mqo and mqo>dat as well.

More Weapons

Comment

i'd prefer if it did show the shoes with the hume wearing them...

I want to know what my mods look like when using them in conjuncion with other gear and what they look like on my char

have to make sure it matches her eye colour and hair >.>;;;

Comment

Well, I'll make sure to fix the Elvaan♀, seeing as I already finished doing that list the old way. I've been doing the Elvaan♂ with all of the old and the new, just like everyone said they wanted to see it. Although I would like to see DeviFoxx's opinions on this proposal, seeing as it affects him a lot more than anyone else...I'd be willing to update the Collection to meet the Model Viewer's standards, but it would be a drastic breach of his authority...
        Current Custom Model Viewer Progress:

Hume ♂: 39/121
        Hume ♀: 375/698
        Elvaan ♂: 86/126
        Elvaan ♀: COMPLETE!
        Tarutaru: 20/191
        Mithra: 146/638
        Galka: 35/68

Comment

Hmm, sounds like an interesting idea...

Comment

>:U! Dooo it. It saves having to change all the .DAT's round just to VIEW them, whether you use them or not.

Comment

What would maybe be better is being able to switch .dats without having to Export>Change Filename>Import>Dislike>Restore Backup. I like the idea of being able to view them without changing first, but an easier way to change .dats would be nice if you're going to go through the coding process.

Comment

One possible solution that I use, is to just create a folder in the Rom3 folder (Technically you can make this folder in either Rom or Rom2 as well, I just used Rom3 because that's what OriginalList for the Model Viewer is currently pointing at). This folder can be named anything, it's not limited to a number, mine is called Custom. Inside this folder, I downloaded and Extracted DeviFoxx's collection (deleting the 18+ section as I don't care much for it) and began the process of updating my .lst files in the OriginalList folder (before CoP, that was the original intent of the OriginalList folder, you could point it at a folder containing custom mods and update the lists so that it would show them). All you have to remember when updating the lists is that the first folder is followed by a hyphen(-) then you use backslashes(\). Make sure there are no hyphens in your folder names or it wont work correctly. Also remember not to put in the .dat.

For example, here's a section in my NPC.lst found in the OriginalList folder with the chocobo's in the collection.
                0-0,-------------------------------
                0-0,Custom Chocobos
                0-0,-------------------------------
                Custom-FFXI DAT Collection\Monsters & Chocobos\Black Chocobo With Red Tips\Black Chocobo With Red Tips,Black Chocobo With Red Tips
                Custom-FFXI DAT Collection\Monsters & Chocobos\Red & Black Chocobo\Black Chocobo,Black Chocobo
                Custom-FFXI DAT Collection\Monsters & Chocobos\Red & Black Chocobo\Red Chocobo,Red Chocobo
                And this is how it looks

Click to Enlarge

The only problem with this method is that if you have alot of .dats you want to add (like the DeviiFoxx collection) it's going to take a dang long time to enter all of that information in. I found after awhile, it was easier just to copy and paste the location from the address bar and then edit out the .dat and change the first "\" to a "-"
                Customize your FFXI(updated 4-23-06)
                DAT changing, Texture Editing, Character MODs, etc.
                Updated list files for Model Viewer

Allakhazam Refugee

Comment

Working...
                X