Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logging guidance for a would-be woodcrafter.. any avid lumberjacks out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging guidance for a would-be woodcrafter.. any avid lumberjacks out there?

Would like to hear from anyone out there who is a frequent logger. Tips, tricks.. a guide perhaps?
    Other than using a hatchet for the Sam quest - I know next to nothing about logging. Also, it occurs to me that I have seens someone actually doing this only once
    Long term, I would like to get woodworking to its cap. So, for all those who would like to tell 'what it takes' - thank you in advance!

Zones..

BP - Buburimu Peninsula
    CM - Caedarva Mire
    CL - Carpenters' Landing
    ER - East Ronfaure
    GO - Ghelsba Outpost
    JF - Jugner Forest
    LM - Lufaise Meadows
    Mk - Mamook
    MC - Misareaux Coast
    YuJ - Yuhtunga Jungle
    YhJ - Yhoator Jungle

Wood type Items..

Arrowwood Log
    _ER GO LM YuJ - Common; BP CL JF- Rare; CM Mk MC YhJ - Uncommon
    Ash Log
    _CL,JF,MC-Rare; ER,GO,LM-Uncommon
    Bloodwood Log
    _CM,Mk-VeryRare
    Chestnut Log
    _ER-VeryRare; Mk-Rare
    Dogwood Log
    _CM,Mk-Uncommon
    Ebony Log
    _BP,YuJ,YhJ-VeryRare; CM,Mk-Rare
    Elm Log
    _GO,LM,MC-VeryRare
    Holly Log
    _BP,GO,YuJ-Rare
    Lauan Log
    _BP,CM,YuJ,YhJ-Uncommon
    Mahogany Log
    _BP,YhJ-VeryRare
    Maple Log
    _ER-Common; GO,LM-Uncommon; MC-Rare
    Oak Log
    _CL,JF,LM,MC-VeryRare
    Rattan Lumber
    _YuJ,YhJ-Common
    Rosewood Log
    _CM-Rare; BP,YuJ-VeryRare
    Walnut Log
    _CL,JF-Uncommon; LM,MC-Rare
    Willow Log
    _CL,GO,JF-Rare
    Yew Log
    _CL,JF-Uncommon

Acorn
    _CL, JF - Rare, LM, MC - Very Rare
    Beehive Chip
    _YuJ,YhJ-Rare
    Buburimu Grape
    _BP-Rare
    Chestnut(s)
    _ER-Rare
    Date(s)
    _CM,Mk-Common
    Dryad Root
    _BP-VeryRare; CL,JF,YhJ-Rare
    Faerie Apple
    _LM-Rare,MC-Uncommon
    Fruit Seeds
    _BP,ER-VeryRare
    Pine Nuts
    _CM,Mk-Common
    Revival Tree Root
    _BP,YuJ,YhJ-Rare
    Tree Cuttings
    _YuJ,YhJ-VeryRare
    Yagudo Cherry
    _BP-Uncommon

edit 5May2007 will update in about a week (busy at work, et cetera)
    edit 10May07 added "Logging/Zone/Items" ~ from FFXICLYCLOPEDIA
    Last edited by Achaicus; 05-10-2007, 06:45 AM. Reason: added things
    while helping a friend with a HL level mission..
    "np - just raise me again - Bard is still effective while cursed,
    plus, just being a Bard IS a exp buffer"

Re: Logging guidance for a would-be woodcrafter.. any avid lumberjacks out there?

Originally posted by Achaicus View Post

Would like to hear from anyone out there who is a frequent logger. Tips, tricks.. a guide perhaps?

Other than using a hatchet for the Sam quest - I know next to nothing about logging. Also, it occurs to me that I have seens someone actually doing this only once

Long term, I would like to get woodworking to its cap. So, for all those who would like to tell 'what it takes' - thank you in advance!
    I used to do alot of logging in Ghelsba outpost (Mainly because its a small logging zone and you can move very fast from tree to tree) also Elm logs used to sell for 7k uncrafted and when i reached woodworking 25 and could craft them, a stack would net me about 30k. It became much easier once i obtained the Worker/Field set. Then too it would depend on what lvl your job is because the higher your job is, the more options you have for logging.
    {New Sig in the works}
    -----------------------
    "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
    "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
    Originally posted by Solymir
    What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Re: Logging guidance for a would-be woodcrafter.. any avid lumberjacks out there?

HELM maps Site - gives the areas and approximate locations of helm spawn points.

As Durahansolo said, Ghelsba Outpost is a good place to start especially as it’s so close to Sandy and the woodworking guild (I think I was aggro free in the initial area where the points are at level 20 but not down any of the roads off it). The only problem with Ghelsba is that it’s well known and is overcrowded with a very small number of people because the logging area is so compact.

Getting the field/worker gear makes a very noticeable difference on how many hatchets you will break which helps make logging a bit more profitable.
      sigpic
      Signature courtesy of Selphiie the Enchantress

Comment

Cool. As people post information, I'll edit it into the initial post - with proper credit given.

It just seems that there are a very few people, amongst everyone, who do logging (perhaps, the fewest after harvesting?).

My thinking is that I may need to do my own logging for the rarer woodcraft materiels. Although I generally prefer to be 'outdoors' have done a great deal of mining, so I think that this will be enjoyable.

So, Ghelsba, Boyahda tree, Ronfare?.. I recall ‘tabbing’ a logging point in Yutunga - or somewhere near there. The internet has limited access where I'm at, so can't see those maps 'til I get home.. about a few weeks or so from now^^

My main is lvl 70, so I ~might~ be able to go to every zone and not get aggroed. Of course, I don't solo well - as a Bard - for it to be worth my while.
        Last edited by Achaicus; 04-30-2007, 03:18 PM. Reason: because I always have to ^~
        while helping a friend with a HL level mission..
        "np - just raise me again - Bard is still effective while cursed,
        plus, just being a Bard IS a exp buffer"

Comment

Erm, logging locations, off the top of my head:

Ghesba Outpost
          East/West Ronfaure
          Buburimu Peninsula
          Yhoater Jungle
          Yuhtunga Jungle
          Mamool Ja Training Grounds
          Jugner Forest
          Carpenter's Landing (I think)

Probably others, but I can't remember right now.

In general you want lots of free inventory space, snag the lvl 1 logging gear to reduce breaks.

A handy macro to have in a relatively target free are is:

/targetnpc
          /item "Hatchet" <t>

Targets the closest npc in front of you and trades a hatchet to it. If you log in areas with alot of mobs you may just want to tab around, target the logging point, and use a /item "Hatchet" <t> on it.

That's more or less all there is to it. Oh, and you can dig up a goodly amount of logs while digging with a chocobo depending on the zone, so that may be an option. Keep an eye on guild shops and know what's best between buying/logging your materials.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Working...
          X